The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Life without addons

CP5
CP5
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Due to computer issues I've been playing ESO through stadia. It has been working well, with the biggest thing being the lack of any and all addons. This is my feedback on addons I feel should be in the base game due to their ability to make the game more enjoyable by addressing some of the pressure points I've been noticing.

1.) Base game inventory is a nightmare. My main character has been sitting around 170-180 items, and not once since I've been running without addons have I dared to change gear because finding anything in the base game bag is a pain. I normally use an outfitter addon, just click and done, and while that type of addon is in my opinion superior to the armory given it better fits the player need of just swapping gear and some skills, rather than the armory swapping morphs and cp trees as well, that isn't what I would suggest. Instead, Auto Category, why isn't something like this base game? Organizing the unholy mess of literally every item you own, in no particular order, instead grouped into things like, all pieces of one set are together, then at the bottom all food and potions are together, it makes it possible to do things like swapping gear because you can actually find all of the gear of a particular set to swap them out, rather than ask if you even have a particular piece with you.

2.) I don't like the base games auto loot. I don't want to loot everything, and the only alternative is to manually loot everything one at a time. Smart Auto-Loot makes it so things like gold, crafting materials, or things like soul gems if you aren't at a full stack are instantly looted. Rather than sitting at a place post fight while my allies run ahead picking through everything to loot the 12 sperate instances of raw hide I instead select any corpse, loot everything that won't take up more bag space, then get the choice between what's left. Makes harvesting a lot faster to since once a node is opened it's looted as well.

3.) Casting ground aoe's. Just like with looting, the game offers either 'cast on button press' or 'cast on second button press'. The first is best for normal skills you just need to cast and the second is better for ultimate's you want to make sure hit their mark. Smart Cast gives the 3rd option of 'press button down to aim and release to cast' which allows you to still quickly cast with a quick button press, and aim by just holding the key down. Nothing fancy but incredibly useful.

4.) Mark for Decon or mark for Sale. I've used addons for so long I didn't know these were not in the base game. With how horrid it is to find anything in my inventory, milling through a list of 100+ items trying to find the specific things I wanted to sell to vendors, sell on the guild trader, and decon, it is so time consuming. As is with addons I have keybinds for marking things as either/or and then at vendors or crafting stations I make it so only marked items even show up, making inventory management take little effort or time. Without the ability to mark stuff, particularly with how bad the bag is organized, I hesitate to even loot anything and am saving all inventory management until I get back to being able to use addons, it is not worth the headache to poke through everything with such a fine tooth comb and I am hesitant on looting anything at risk of making that task worse.

5.) Keeping track of sets and leads. So, when running trials, people will normally ask if people need x piece of gear, with Item Set Tracker I can just mouse over an item and in the tooltip get a list of all pieces of gear I have and need for that set, without needing to mouse over every individual piece of gear or having people link gear to check. And if I need to check a list of items instead of having stuff shoved into list in drop down list I instead can just type the dungeon I'm in, get info on the sets as well as what parts of it I have. Same with leads. Rather than having an obtuse ui filled with the green repeatables to the point that finding anything useful is difficult I can instead look up what I actually want to find. So for both, the base game way of tracking this information is like eating a brick, slow and uncomfortable.

So while I am still playing because I enjoy the game, I hesitate to do much that demands more attention because dealing with a lot of these base systems is just so time consuming and finicky that I just get my time into the game then log out, inventory left in shambles which is where most of these issues are and I'm not particularly interested in 'inventory management the mmo.'
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the world of console players. I cannot imagine playing with the add ons you had as a PC player, and being honest I don't want then.

Sure there are some improvements that could be made but honestly life without add ons isn't that difficult, stop being scared and embrace the situation. Stop thinking about what you are missing and actually start to enjoy the game the way it was meant to be played.
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I understand that, and over time ZOS has recognized that some quality of life addons would be better of being part of the base game. My experience, being dissuaded from even looting because of the chore that inventory management is, is a flaw that I see already has solutions made for it, just wanted to share them here because I can imagine that some people who have only known dealing with these issues may appreciate the chance to do less micro management during their time playing.
  • N3CR01
    N3CR01
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't think I could play without my mini map now lol.
    Duno how I did on Xbox for 1800+ hrs.
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I auto loot everything, I sell or decon stuff I don't want, materials go in craft bag. It's not an issue unless you allow it to be, I'm maxed inventory space and most days have around 100 to 120 empty slots on my main, I might have to empty him out during the day but that's no big deal
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play on both XBox and PC (and formerly PS4) every day and I not only feel your pain, I live it. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus