Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Tanking with Agro

Anrik
Anrik
✭✭
So I'm trying to figure out how to hold decent agro and it's just not working out right. On bosses I hit them with ransack and it doesn't even do anything. I can empty my magicka and stamina with offensive abilities and it just seems like bosses don't care about abilities, they just randomly attack players.
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agro things very easy with my sorcerer and summons. I don't know if it's because of the DMG I'm doing or what but they turn right around and run to me when I'm in groups. My pets hold them very well also.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • Stautmeister
    Stautmeister
    ✭✭✭
    What level dungeons are you doing? First 3 got some bosses that arnt exactly tauntable.
    An orc marrying a wood elf?! Enjoy your Borsimer mutants!
  • ArnoTerranova
    ArnoTerranova
    ✭✭✭
    I m looking for the same answer as yours, I wanted to do a pure tank in this game, but indeed, tank abilities are not viable so far... Half the time, (or so) you block, doing no damages, that help the heal of the group... but... no help you to take the aggro.
    Heals and any dps have better aggro than I do with Ransack.... that is kind of sad. Many players suggest to use other build such as fire-based damages to take the aggro. So, let's find some useful skills... and hope that Zenimax will upgrade a bit our tanking abilities.

Fatty White-Claw (lvl 50+) heal trial pve
    Koros Bone-Shield (lvl 50+) tank trial pve
    Koros Lust (lvl 50+) dps pve, pvp
    Seiri (lvl 50+) dps pve
    Wildfire (lvl 50+) dps pvp
    EU-PC - Playing since April 2014. (beta)
  • Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    The way the taunt (ransack or inner fire, or its moprhs) works is it's not 100% gaurenteed threat.

It instead appears to just apply a large initial boost of threat, plus a 15 second multiplier to your threat.

Thus to tank in ESO you still need to deal significant dps.

I personally never lose agro during those 15 seconds and run with some of the finest dps and healers on the server. If I let it lapse I often will, but after a quick re-application, i get it back.

One exception:
    The DK ability - chain pull - seems to generate INSANE threat, that I can't cope with yet as a templar. (They shouldn't use that on boss anyways tho)
    Edited by Axer on April 29, 2014 2:19PM
    Axer. Main tank and Leader of Crush it! (NA-EP highly skilled trials guild)
  • Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    What level dungeons are you doing? First 3 got some bosses that arnt exactly tauntable.

Every boss in every dungeon except the final one of Darkshade Caverns VR is tauntable.

The thing is, you only get gaurenteed to get hit by their basic attakc. Many bosses special attacks either target all players, or 1 randomly chosen player, regardless of agro.
    Axer. Main tank and Leader of Crush it! (NA-EP highly skilled trials guild)
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Axer wrote: »
    The way the taunt (ransack or inner fire, or its moprhs) works is it's not 100% gaurenteed threat.

It instead appears to just apply a large initial boost of threat, plus a 15 second multiplier to your threat.

I personally never lose agro during those 15 seconds and run with some of the finest dps and healers on the server. If I let it lapse I often will, but after a quick re-application, i get it back.

One exception:
    The DK ability - chain pull - seems to generate INSANE threat, that I can't cope with yet as a templar. (They shouldn't use that on boss anyways tho)
    Ransack does work fine as does inner fire. the problem with ransack is targeting and mobs combat specials ,if a mob is in wind up for a heavy attack or in a mechanic it does not register until after the ability is finished. And inner fire has a very short range until morphed, it will not grey out you can shoot the thing over and over and if the mob is out of range you would never know. Both work fine for me like you said. there are quite a few bosses that are immune to taunts as well.
    Agro management on the whole in this game is pretty wonky, its all about first hit in large packs and healing actually works better then a taunt lol. CC is helpful to control the early part of a large pull but degenerates rapidly as none of the CC's are long lasting and break extremely easy.Communication and tactics are key for managing large packs but eventualy becomes eye strain for all with the social ranges.the tanking mechanics need adjusting for sure . they are quite different then other games the problem lies in that the role needs to be more defined like healing and DPS are.they can keep the fluid action combat system and still retain defined rolls. CC and the tanking skills need some tweaks is all. it should be more then Taunt Block shield bash, its quite sad when a DK can do more damage blocking and shield bashing then with actual abilties.

Edited by Wifeaggro13 on April 29, 2014 2:36PM
  • Fersaken
    Fersaken
    ✭✭
    Axer wrote: »

One exception:

The way taunt works is it forces the target to attack you for 15 seconds period. Not like you have explained in your quote.

As a tank here is your job an it works quite well. Put the Guild Undaunted Ranged taunt on your bar, put rank sack on your bar. Then pull the the guild taunt, then ransack anythin close to you but keep block button down. That is all you need as a tank period. Sure the other skills make the class a little more fun but they are not needed.