Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What class did you choose?

DragonTamer051800
DragonTamer051800
Soul Shriven
I am conducting a survey for a class and would greatly appreciate any input given!!

What class did you choose? What made you decide to choose that specific class?
Did you pick it for strategy, social, personal, or some other reasons?

Best Answers

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I started ESO, I wanted to play Dunmer. Way back when, Dunmer meant Dragonknight, cause fire!

I really haven't ever regretted making my main, Varanis Arano, a Dunmer Dragonknight.
    Answer ✓
  • Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting question, but as someone who has ESO+ I have all of them. I seem to go through phases where I like one class more than another. Right now I have been getting into a new DK tank and a Magblade Dps.
    Answer ✓
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Talking about main obviously.

It has everything to do with my previous tes experience, was mainly playing dunmers and professions / classes danced around nightblade (or were literally Nightblades in MW and Oblivion, sounded kinda cool being shadowy and agile spellswords) so it was pretty natural choice. Years changed only main attributes really but with armory it doesn't matter much, can do whatever way pleasing me currently almost on a fly. No regrets here.
    Answer ✓
  • deejayvee
    deejayvee
    ✭✭✭✭
    I rolled up a mag and stam version of every class and have picked which ones I enjoy playing the most.

2 options never got to 50 (mag DK and mag necro).

Now I'm trying to work out which is my main.

My original sorc is still up there, has all the tools including buffs, self-heals and plenty of damage output.

My magplar was my main for a long time as I learnt the game, because it was much more forgiving thanks to self-healing jabs. But that got boring.

Both wardens became contenders, but have since fallen by the wayside because they don't do as much damage and so I am a little limited with content. That's more about my builds (ice-themed mag, and bow/bow stam) than the class.

Current leader is the mag NB, thanks to the armory system. It allows me to effortly swap between healer, dps and sneaky (dark brotherhood, thieves guild) builds.

PC - NA
    Answer ✓
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I prefer human characters - Caucasian, like myself - and ended up with mostly Nords and Bretons. This determined whether they became stamina or magicka characters by accident. I only became aware of the magicka / stamina divide later. As I get attached to my character's looks, I do not tend to change race, but I learnt the playstyles and skills that suited their race.

I'll be honest, I made 50% Bretons, because IMO they are pretty. My very first character, though, was a woodelf nightblade. I liked rogues in previous games. However the eyes being all pupils soon got to me and I switched at level 10, or so. The woodelf had seemed super small next to Lyris. As I didn't yet understand that Lyris was meant to be a half-giant, I chose a Nord as my next character. I thought the game was buggy, because I was still smaller than Lyris :).

The Nord became my first main, a stamina DK, for no other reason than having to choose. DK seemed to suit a Nord. The class I have probably played most, however, is my second main, a Breton magicka nightblade. This character stuck, because I ended up doing a lot of solo PvP. Cloaking away from groups and from better players in my favorite place - Imperial City - was satisfying when I didn't yet know how to play. It has remained a good option for solo play in the long run.

If you're asking whether I choose characters solely for performance reasons, the answer is no. With what I know after 6 years, I do pay attention to racial choices, but I stop short of being optimal. For example, even though vampire would probably be best for my magblade, I don't do it, because I hate the look. I've also developed strong playstyle preferences and build towards my playstyle, not towards the current meta.

Having tried most classes, I prefer the 4 original ones, based on how they play. I don't like how wardens, or at least magdens, are so heavy on buff skills and light on situational skills - at least for my solo PvP playstyle. That said, I may simply have an affinity for my two mains and am probably most competitive with them, based purely on the amount of time spent playing those classes. Those are the stam DK and magblade.

As a new player you IMO can't go wrong with any of the original classes. While I personally don't like warden and have shunned necro (the idea doesn't even appeal to me from a role-playing perspective), you may find that you like running around with a bear at your side. I believe wardens also make for good healers.
    Edited by fred4 on November 25, 2021 6:19AM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
    Answer ✓
  • Anumaril
    Anumaril
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I initially chose sorcerer because I love magic users and also dark magic (necromancy, black magic, etc). When necromancer was released I immediately switched mains to a necromancer. I still play a necromancer to this day, but am sad that I've lost out on so many cool abilities from sorcerer.

I think I much prefer the single-player TES games' design philosophy of letting players do what they want. You want to be a daedra summoner that knows necromancy? Be that. You want to be a sword-wielding knight that knows some fire spells? Be that. In ESO I feel really constricted.

At this point I'm just holding out hope that spellcrafting will be added relatively soon. I'm eager to craft spells that fit what I find cool/fits my character. I imagine having more than a few daedra summons, dark-magic themed abilities, and blue fire spells too. But as we all know, spellcrafting has been on the back-burner for years, so my hope is more a fool's hope.
    Answer ✓
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one of each (technically two dragon knights but one is a dedicated crafter who rarely fights at all).

But my first choice was a templar because during the betas I decided that was the closest fit for my usual TES character, who uses destruction and restoration magic. I also made a warden (who was originally a second templar but got deleted and re-made when Morrowind was released) as another incarnation of my usual RPG character, who always has a nature theme, and a nightblade as recreation of my first TES character.

I made the rest later either for specific purposes or to fill gaps so I'd have more options when playing, so I suppose you could say I chose templar, warden and nightblade.
    Belegnole wrote: »
    Interesting question, but as someone who has ESO+ I have all of them. I seem to go through phases where I like one class more than another. Right now I have been getting into a new DK tank and a Magblade Dps.

What does ESO+ have to do with how many characters/classes you have? I don't see how any of the benefits make a difference to creating characters.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Answer ✓
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was disappointed by the lack of flexibility when it came to reflecting my character that all the classes offered. So I created my character (a tiny Bosmer) as multiple classes. Her looks and even her name (within game limits) are the same for each. She literally moves from class to class as casually as she changes hairstyles or outfits. After over 10K hours, she has settled into 5 variants and that seems to reflect everything she wants to do:
    Magplar healer/dps
    Magward healer/dps
    Magsorc no pet storm mage dps
    Magblade dps
    Stamsorc bow/bow dps

We tried several other variants but they didn't make the cut and are retired.

I do maintain a totally different character as a DK main tank, but that character is really just a training device so my little Bosmer can better appreciate what it takes to best support a tank as healer or dps.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
    Answer ✓
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nightblade for rouge feeling
    Answer ✓
  • Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

What does ESO+ have to do with how many characters/classes you have? I don't see how any of the benefits make a difference to creating characters.

For me the perks made it easier to be an altaholic. Nothing more than that really.
  • Zinpix
    Zinpix
    Sorceror dps, because I thought that would suit me best, ended up with 3 tanks and 2 healers. Some of them Sorcs though.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main was an magsorc, select as magic did not work well in Skyrim and Sorcerer looked nice and you could also heal.
    Made an templar before quitting after a year, now I have two of all classes.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

For me the perks made it easier to be an altaholic. Nothing more than that really.
    Who except free crowns for buying more slots? Back before I left after leaving I had 3-4 bank alts. Returning before Morrowind I killed off the bank alts and created real alts instead although 4-5 is basicaly bank alts who can be used for events and normal dungeons.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My very first character was an argonian dragonknight, I didn't know anything about the game at the time, and an antropomorphic lizard and a class that had 'dragon' in its name, sounded pretty cool to me.