The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The Debate About Battleground Queues Needs to End Now

thesarahandcompany
thesarahandcompany
✭✭✭✭
It's been roughly two years, a dozen patches and multiple updates. ZOS has worked tirelessly to address concern after concern about the BG queue. They've listened to our experiences on the forum, combined with data from test after test. At the end of the day, data must reign supreme than the anecdotes of individuals on this forum. The discussion on battlegrounds queues needs to end now. ZOS must lean into the success of this patch, and we must now put our eye toward new instanced BG content.

Recent changes to the queue have opened up the opportunity for the queue to sort out deathmatch versus objective players. With the changes to these queues, I've seen numerous old players from the BG PvP community return and quit New World. For the first time in a couple years, the BG PvP community is growing and thriving again. As such, I hypothesize that the queues are sorting out into DM because that is the preferred mode by a strong plurality, if not a majority, of frequent BG PvPers. Our message is still the same: Deathmatch is the most engaging form of BGs to a plurality, if not a majority, of players and must continue to be prioritized.

ZOS, thank you for a successful patch. The PvP community as a whole would like to see:

1) Reworks of existing objective games that include more engaging gameplay, including but not limited too, 1) less flags in landgrab modes; 2) only one relic in capture the relic which defiles and snares at a quicker rate than currently; and 3) A chaos ball that does less damage over time but snares significantly and rewards less points per earning.

2) New Battleground maps in the Deadlands and other new zones.

3) A lobby system for group deathmatch.

4) Continued balancing efforts and bug fixes, and less introduction of new sets like Dark Convergence or other damage proc sets.

5) Improve the deathmatch scoring system so that assists and deaths factor into the scoring more, and penalize people who die a lot and reward teams with people who participate in assisted kills or healing.

6) Introduce a new instanced PvP system that is raid vs. raid and is located in imperial city instances or Cyrodiil instances.
Sarahandcompany
She/Her/Hers
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As such, I hypothesize that the queues are sorting out into DM because that is the preferred mode by a strong plurality, if not a majority, of frequent BG PvPers.

They're sorting into deathmatch because it's the default option. They could at the very least save your setting over play sessions. If you're so confident deathmatch is preferred, then they could make random the default for new and uninformed players, and make the setting stick when you logout so DM only players can select random DM once and not have to worry about it again and then everyone gets what they want.
  • NerfSeige
    NerfSeige
    ✭✭✭✭
    With the changes to these queues, I've seen numerous old players from the BG PvP community return and quit New World.

I’ve observed this as well, like, people who quit (even before new world release) came back in BGs now
    Avid reader of wes’-pts-diary[RIP]

NerfAS and Shill ruins everything

Skinny-meta-fake, graded D, and can’t explain the law of diminishing marginal returns.

I won’t post that Wes, I’ll get [snipped] for the last time

Revert this patch - Audens, 2022
  • thesarahandcompany
    thesarahandcompany
    ✭✭✭✭
    As such, I hypothesize that the queues are sorting out into DM because that is the preferred mode by a strong plurality, if not a majority, of frequent BG PvPers.

They're sorting into deathmatch because it's the default option. They could at the very least save your setting over play sessions. If you're so confident deathmatch is preferred, then they could make random the default for new and uninformed players, and make the setting stick when you logout so DM only players can select random DM once and not have to worry about it again and then everyone gets what they want.

They need to touch nothing. It's over. We need to move on.
    Sarahandcompany
    She/Her/Hers
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Judging by the feedback when ZOS turned off objective matches, your Point 1 is not true of the "PVP community as a whole."

It's kind of odd to pivot from "Listen to the Data" to speaking anecdotally for the whole community based off what you've seen in the forums and heard from players you know, don't you think?
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not all of us agree, just because some people can't follow the rules doesn't mean they should get rewarded for it.

Objective modes are fine. PvP isn't just mindless slaughter. It's player against player

It's time for two different queues. Objectives or slaughter.
  • Contos
    Contos
    ✭✭✭

They need to touch nothing. It's over. We need to move on.

Attention guys. The boss has appaered. He said it's over than it's over!
    Cmon.. Just be honest. You are just happyy that the system is broken so you can finally play 0-24 deathmatch. That's it. Not like you didnt do it in the past months anyways, even before probably. But hey..
    I can understand it.. It needs to stop now that it's broken in a way you prefer it.

I can't even comprehend why do you think a 99.9% Deathmach ratio on RANDOM bg is a SUCCESS , and shdn't be changed.

Deathmatch might be enjoyable for you, for a few other players, or even the majority. I'm fine with the seperate deathmatch queue. Be happy with it i'm sure you deserved it... But,
    1. Why do we have deathmatch games in the random queue? It has it's own queue. And even if we have,
    2. Why the two queues aren't actually seperated? Why people queued for dm affect the random queue?
    3. Why isn't it weightened? It seems like if 1 player of the 12 queued for dm it will be a dm for some reason.

[[[Check leaderboards. I don't know how many bgs were overall played from the patch (on one server), but i'm sure it's at least between 700-1000. On PC/EU for Flag Games we have 98 people on the leaderboards. For Land Grab we have probably around 120-150 at max considering the points of individuals.. We have people with 100ish points.. Even the highest points are 3000-4000. Meaning even they played 2-3 matches at max. I know it's very vague but considering these 250-300 people. Most of them with 1 matches we can say on the entire server in 4 days there has been only 30-50 matches of flag games and land grab overall, AT MAX.
    As I said I don't know how many matches been played since the patch but I bet at least 700-1000 or even more.
    That means 19 from 20 matches are DM. But I played like.. 40-50 matches at least, not a single CTR or Domination or anything, others say likewise, so it is probably even worse. Closer to 95 or even 99%.
    "The majority thinks DM is the most enjoyable gamemode" I don't think it's true. At all..(from what ive seen here, ingame, and in other grps). But even if it is true, and they are the majority, it still probably is closer the more realistic 50-50ish precentage, not like 99-1...
    If the system is WORKING and shd NOT be changed as you said, then it means 95-99% of the people queues for Deathmatch.
    Even if all the DM enthusiastics and all the people who are lazy to switch mode queue for Deathmatch it still seems absurd. This 95%+ only seems right if random matches only happen if all 12 players queued for random. If even one player is queued for dm it just will be dm]]]

But it's just a pointless speculation. Even if it is weightened It still doesn't change the fact its no doubt not okay that if you want to play something other than deathmatch you need to play like 100 games and you MIGHT get one. And thats myy point, it shd be fixed. Otehr than that, I don't really care.
    Edited by Contos on November 4, 2021 9:23PM
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    <moved post to other thread>

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7438986/#Comment_7438986

tl;dr queues appear bugged at the moment and the overwhelming number of Deathmatch games are most likely not an accurate representation of player interest

Edited by SkaraMinoc on November 5, 2021 1:40AM
    PC NA
  • thesarahandcompany
    thesarahandcompany
    ✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7438986/#Comment_7438986

tl;dr queues appear bugged at the moment and the overwhelming number of Deathmatch games are most likely not an accurate representation of player interest

My post is not the same as this one. This post is asking for everyone to quit talking about queues and finally move on with the issue. Add new content and maybe BG players will queue objectives and not DM.
    Sarahandcompany
    She/Her/Hers
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »

My post is not the same as this one. This post is asking for everyone to quit talking about queues and finally move on with the issue. Add new content and maybe BG players will queue objectives and not DM.

The question of whether BG players aren't getting objective matches because they don't want them or because the queues are bugged to dramatically favor DM is actually quite relevant to the feasibility of your suggestions. If players want objective modes but aren't getting them because of a problem on ZOS' end, then not only is the data skewed, but also it won't accurately indicate an overwhelming demand for changes to the current objective modes.

Even if the queues are correct, its still a problem if a significant minority of players want the current objective modes sans changes, and can't get them. This is what ZOS indicated their data from the last test showed: that participation in DM-only BGs briefly increased, and then tapered off. In other words, the data from last update showed that DM-only isn't sustainable for Battlegrounds, and that the current objective modes still draw a significant number of players without needing your anecdotally-sourced suggested changes to those modes. If you want real data to back up your suggestions, you'll need to ask ZOS to test out your changes. In the meantime, if players continue to play in queues that are effectively "DM-only, with a very rare chance of anything else" I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar spike in participation followed by declining population just like during Walking Flame.

Finally, good luck with telling folks to quit talking about a topic on the forums.
  • Psiion
    Psiion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,

After review of this thread, we have gone ahead and shut it down as it does not lend itself to constructive discussion. While we understand debates are natural, Baiting is against the ESO Forum's Community Rules. It’s okay and very normal to disagree with others, and even to debate, but provoking conflict, baiting, inciting, mocking, etc. is never acceptable in the official The Elder Scrolls Online community.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.