Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Perfect roe?!?!?

SidraWillowsky
SidraWillowsky
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
What in the name of god has happened to make these become SO expensive? Was the drop rate nerfed? This could just be natural statistical fluctuation, but I swear that I used to get a LOT more than I do now. I think I'm averaging about one every 125 fish, which seems a lot lower than it used to. Clockwork Citrus Filets are going for 13-15k, and I swear I've never paid that much in the past. Maybe I'm just misremembering drop rates and prices?

Remember the days of perfect roe being ~10k?

Pepperidge Farms remembers.
  • mtbikernate
    mtbikernate
    ✭✭
    you're not alone. I wanted some gold and had a few to sell yesterday. I did a price check and was amazed. sold 2 for 90k in very short order.

I've noticed furnishing mats getting more expensive, too. I think the growth in furnishing and other recipe numbers has made these (and other mats) much more desirable.

I wouldn't know about drop rates per se, but wouldn't be surprised given how there's now a bunch of fishing passives in the CP tree that you really need to use if you're going to be fishing.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just part of the general inflation that's been happening on PC/NA.

When new CP is added to increase gold and gold is given away seemingly every other month in daily rewards, it's going to lead to an increase in prices.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to you both... that all makes sense. The price of *everything* seems to be going up, but the inflation that I'm seeing with perfect roe is particularly egregious.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am curious why perfect roe in particular has become so expensive now. I understood why the price went up with CP 2.0 but why now? The price of all materials hasn’t gone up and I don’t known of any that have gone up to this extent. 🤔
  • oterWitz
    oterWitz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Generally, they have a new use now compared to before. The extra demand in using them for clockwork citrus fillets is adding to the cost. On top of that, the arataeum pickled fish bowl used to be the go-to instead but ZoS "fixed" that earlier this year, so more people have probably switched to fillets and increased the price recently.

Also, and this is speculation, but I think the QoL changes for fishing over the years may have made an impact on the roe supply. Before, the time it took me to get master angler on one character gave me more roe than I ever plan to use, but now that the achievement is easier, I'm wondering whether roe from that source has gone down and we're relying more heavily on roe from farmers now. And on that note, the population of farmers may be down right now given that the overall population seems to dip in the fall, which is currently exacerbated by the release of a new mmo that seems to have a better fishing system than ESO from what I've seen.

Oh, and there's a double exp event soon, so it it were me, I'd be hoarding roes and ambrosias, ready to go peddling in Alikr and Craglorn the first weekend it's live. That might be affecting prices as well right now.
    PC NA
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oterWitz wrote: »
    Also, and this is speculation, but I think the QoL changes for fishing over the years may have made an impact on the roe supply. Before, the time it took me to get master angler on one character gave me more roe than I ever plan to use, but now that the achievement is easier, I'm wondering whether roe from that source has gone down and we're relying more heavily on roe from farmers now.

That seems extremely plausible to me. Certainly in those early days of CP 2.0, when we had only No Proc Cyro and an Effective Cap somewhere in the mid-2000s, there was a massive run on Perfect Roe on Xbox NA, and the price hasn't come down much. Looks like we still pay quite a bit less than PC though if you guys have fond memories of 10k Roes.

The drop rate seems a bit lower to me than in past years, maybe, my last fishing trips seemed a little less productive than the long-assumed 1 in 200 rate, but now we have that Reel Speed CP node. I thought all Yellow Mats were assumed to be 1 in 200.

Personally I'm always starved for more and more delicious Bear Haunch.

Edited by Urzigurumash on October 8, 2021 11:20PM
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @oterWitz what is this about Artaeum fish food being fixed? I just did a quick search but could not find anything.

I have just started fishing and am using it and it really seems to help, though oftentimes I feel like a cooldown kicks in every so often and I’ll just get white fish for up to 30 mins straight at times.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• oterWitz
    oterWitz
    ✭✭✭✭
    The special bonus still works, but people were using it for raiding as well because it gave good stats. Earlier this year ZoS lowered the stats it gives, with the justification that the special bonus was the reason for being purple food. I just realized that it's confusing because the special bonus is related to fishing, but I just meant that it's used less in raiding in favor of fillets, which require roe.
    PC NA
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, and this is speculation, but I think the QoL changes for fishing over the years may have made an impact on the roe supply. Before, the time it took me to get master angler on one character gave me more roe than I ever plan to use, but now that the achievement is easier, I'm wondering whether roe from that source has gone down and we're relying more heavily on roe from farmers now. And on that note, the population of farmers may be down right now given that the overall population seems to dip in the fall, which is currently exacerbated by the release of a new mmo that seems to have a better fishing system than ESO from what I've seen.

The passives definitely do have an effect... when you catch more trophy fish (the green and blue ones), those CAN'T be filleted, so you have less roe on the market.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • N3CR01
    N3CR01
    ✭✭✭✭
    No idea why but on PC EU they've been selling for alot more than just a few weeks ago.
    End of July I remember someone offering to buy from me @ 20k each (avg at that time was 28k) so they never bought any.
    Now I see they're averaging @ 40k each.

Thankfully I still have a bunch to sell so the seller in me hopes it goes up and up lol.
    Edited by N3CR01 on October 9, 2021 2:32PM
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

The passives definitely do have an effect... when you catch more trophy fish (the green and blue ones), those CAN'T be filleted, so you have less roe on the market.

I really wish that we could fillet them. And even get a slightly higher perfect roe drop rate from each level of the fish.

Edited to fix auto correct
    Edited by wolfie1.0. on October 9, 2021 9:09PM
  • Slyclone
    Slyclone
    ✭✭✭✭
    Less people fishing. More expensive roe.
    That's it, that's all.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Question....does this do anything to help? Hissmer Fish Eye Recipe

This drink will also grant you insights into what manner of fish spawn in various bodies of water, as well as alertness for nearby fish activity. These effects are scaled based on your level.

What does that even mean?
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It causes the fishing nodes to "glow" like the keen eye passive for other nodes.

The "effects scaled to your level" are for the amount of health/mag/stam (don't remember what it gives) it gives if you're under CP160.

The food is generally not worth it, as it does nothing for the amount of fish you catch.

In fact, the purple food (Artaeum Fish Bowl) makes it harder to get perfect roe, as those only come from filleting white fish, and that food increases your chance of getting trophy fish, which cannot be filleted.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I assumed that the price increase was linked to the plethora of XP boosting events that ESO runs. As soon as an event starts that boosts XP in conjunction with allowing the XP boosting potions the price goes up.

Same with dust... gotta have ambrosia!
  • Tieberion
    Tieberion
    ✭✭✭
    I've fished 128 fish now and no ROE. Used to be about 1:60
  • AshfieldLad
    AshfieldLad
    ✭✭✭
    It’s well documented as a 1% chance so 1/100. With those odds you could quite easily skin 100s without a drop. I’ve definitely skinned 1k in a row before without a drop but then the other day I got 6 roe from 190. Rng!
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tieberion wrote: »
    I've fished 128 fish now and no ROE. Used to be about 1:60

I believe that farming code relaxes when you haven't fished in a long while and gives you better odds at the start, after a break from the game etc., then after fishing more, worse odds. That said, I haven't fished much in awhile, so going to test this theory out again tonight and rake in my "easy" roe. LOL.
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think that the passives also reduce the amount of junk, clunker fish, bait, etc. at the bottom and actually boost the amount of filletable fish in the middle.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s well documented as a 1% chance so 1/100. With those odds you could quite easily skin 100s without a drop. I’ve definitely skinned 1k in a row before without a drop but then the other day I got 6 roe from 190. Rng!

For the longest time, it was around 0.8%, then it dropped to 0.6%. It is nice to see it is up to 1%, if that statistic is accurate.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

For the longest time, it was around 0.8%, then it dropped to 0.6%. It is nice to see it is up to 1%, if that statistic is accurate.

Not the largest sample size, but this is over years at this point.

sYVTWwK.jpg
    buttaface wrote: »

I would think that the passives also reduce the amount of junk, clunker fish, bait, etc. at the bottom and actually boost the amount of filletable fish in the middle.

I don't think we have any indication that this is happening. The only thing we know is that fishing with more people increases your drop rate of trophy fish (it's in some patch notes from a LONG time ago)... and that using the Artaeum Fish Bowl acts like you're fishing with another person... and that the passive does the same in the CP tree.

The only person who'd have the data needed would be Elias (they of the 30+ master anglers who has posted before), but I'm not sure if they tracked all that data.
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally, they have a new use now compared to before. The extra demand in using them for clockwork citrus fillets is adding to the cost. On top of that, the arataeum pickled fish bowl used to be the go-to instead but ZoS "fixed" that earlier this year, so more people have probably switched to fillets and increased the price recently.

Oh, and there's a double exp event soon, so it it were me, I'd be hoarding roes and ambrosias, ready to go peddling in Alikr and Craglorn the first weekend it's live. That might be affecting prices as well right now.

Hold on.... what happened to arataeum pickled fish bowl???
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lumsdenml wrote: »

Hold on.... what happened to arataeum pickled fish bowl???

Um nothing
  • FannyWarden
    FannyWarden
    ✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

Can't be that rare. Some guy been selling 1000 of them a week on PC-NA the past month. Must have a secret farming spot or something.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If perfect roe wasn't that rare, the price would not be as high as it is, and it is a lot higher than the 10kish it used to be.

RNG is rng; I've cleaned full stacks of 200 and gotten none; I've cleaned 23 and gotten 3.
  • FannyWarden
    FannyWarden
    ✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    If perfect roe wasn't that rare, the price would not be as high as it is, and it is a lot higher than the 10kish it used to be.

RNG is rng; I've cleaned full stacks of 200 and gotten none; I've cleaned 23 and gotten 3.

You just need to learn how to farm better. Go into TTC and check out perfect roe sales in PC-NA and you will see how much you can sell if you are a decent farmer. There is a dude selling a few hundred a day. I don't know, maybe he will share his secret if you ask him.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You just need to learn how to farm better. Go into TTC and check out perfect roe sales in PC-NA and you will see how much you can sell if you are a decent farmer. There is a dude selling a few hundred a day. I don't know, maybe he will share his secret if you ask him.

If he's selling a few hundred a day, then I have a strong suspicion of bots/duping/someone else is fishing for him/he's spending 20 hours a day fishing. Because RNG rules, it means you can get perfect roe with every fish, or you can get none with hundreds of fish. It isn't cumulative. The odds are the same for every fish.
  • FannyWarden
    FannyWarden
    ✭✭

If he's selling a few hundred a day, then I have a strong suspicion of bots/duping/someone else is fishing for him/he's spending 20 hours a day fishing. Because RNG rules, it means you can get perfect roe with every fish, or you can get none with hundreds of fish. It isn't cumulative. The odds are the same for every fish.

I pinged him after he put a few hundred more perfect roe on broker yesterday. He said he is fishing 12-15 hours day. He spends a lot of time mat farming also. He put 100 chrom plates on broker as well.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I pinged him after he put a few hundred more perfect roe on broker yesterday. He said he is fishing 12-15 hours day. He spends a lot of time mat farming also. He put 100 chrom plates on broker as well.

Not a bad guess on my part on the time spent. If I spent that much time fishing, I'd go insane. I can do it for an hour or so, but 15? No. He's putting in the work, he definitely deserves the gold.
  • FannyWarden
    FannyWarden
    ✭✭

Not a bad guess on my part on the time spent. If I spent that much time fishing, I'd go insane. I can do it for an hour or so, but 15? No. He's putting in the work, he definitely deserves the gold.

I just want to know his secret. Based on what others are reporting, the drop rate is about 130-150 fish an hour and 1 roe per 100 fish. That is about 20 roes every 15 hours of fishing. He is selling 600-1000 every few days. Maybe he knows a secret spot, better food or something.
    Edited by FannyWarden on February 24, 2022 4:13AM