The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

ESO Launcher does not close gracefully

Sordidfairytale
Sordidfairytale
✭✭✭✭✭
Launcher version 1.3.6.2265444
Launcher is running as Administrator.
Drivers are up to date.
Windows is up to date.

100% of the time when the game is quit the launcher remains running and must be closed with Task Manager.
The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • sean.plackerb14_ESO
    sean.plackerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't had that issue, but for years now when you close the launcher the icon for it stays in the system tray until you mouse over it. Really wish they would finally fix that.
    @sean8102 - Carlore - Daggerfall Covenant
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    We have posted some troubleshooting for this crash issue in the thread linked below.

ESO Launcher does not close elegantly PC/NA
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    We have posted some troubleshooting for this crash issue in the thread linked below.

Hi,

I read that thread and followed the troubleshooting steps described in that thread. Learning that none of the troubleshooting steps in that thread helped I intended on stating that in the thread. But it was closed the day prior to me making this thread and in that closing it was suggested that if we continue to have the problem despite following the troubleshooting steps in that thread, to make another thread. And so here it is.

The Launcher continues to not close when told to.
    The game is running as Admin.
    The files and folders are permitted unfettered passage through my firewall and Antivirus.
    The Vegemite Knight

• ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Sordidfairytale

Are you playing the Steam version of ESO?

If so, you'll need to set the Steam client to run as an admin as well. The ESO Launcher should also be running as an admin as well.
    Staff Post
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sordidfairytale

Are you playing the Steam version of ESO?

If so, you'll need to set the Steam client to run as an admin as well. The ESO Launcher should also be running as an admin as well.

No, I am not playing ESO via Steam. This is the basic PC version.
    Edited by Sordidfairytale on September 9, 2021 12:02AM
    The Vegemite Knight

• ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Sordidfairytale

One more step you can try is rebooting the PC into a selective startup. This will disable third party software running on the PC. Test your setup under the selective startup and see if the issue persists.
    Staff Post
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update.

Selective Startup fixed the problem, however once the game patches the launcher won't close gracefully again.
    The Vegemite Knight

• ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Sordidfairytale

If a selective startup fixed the issue, even for a limited time, it indicates the issue is a conflict between the launcher and another program running in the background. The first programs to try disabling are anything that has a display overlay that could be conflicting with the launcher.
    Staff Post
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sordidfairytale

If a selective startup fixed the issue, even for a limited time, it indicates the issue is a conflict between the launcher and another program running in the background. The first programs to try disabling are anything that has a display overlay that could be conflicting with the launcher.

Hmm interesting. So when the game is patched the other program interferes with the launcher again? That's wild.
    The Vegemite Knight

• Dzadzey
    Dzadzey
    ✭✭✭
    Never had this issue until the last update. So, ZOS needs to fix it...without breaking anything else in the process.
  • Dzadzey
    Dzadzey
    ✭✭✭

It was never an issue for me until Blackwood. ZOS broke it...ZOS needs to fix it.
  • NicGroover
    NicGroover
    ✭✭✭
    If TESO is not able to fix a problem with its environment we can fear the worst. Especially since this problem concerns many players with different configurations.

The only common point to these configurations is TESO
  • Dzadzey
    Dzadzey
    ✭✭✭
    It's so refreshing to see that ZOS hasn't abandoned it's tradition of ignoring issues with the game and player concerns regarding these issues. The launcher hasn't closed without using task manager since the last update. Fix the launcher...and so many other...issues
  • OldManJim
    OldManJim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm having the exact same issue. The launcher won't close properly without using task manager.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • SuccessfulGeek
    SuccessfulGeek
    Soul Shriven
    I am having the same issue. I have to close it from the task manager. I added the exceptions to Bitdefender and still not closing.
  • not4us
    not4us
    ✭✭✭
    Just got back to ESO after a couple of years hiatus and I'm sad to see that this issue which I had back in 2019 is still present (even acknowledged by @ZOS_GinaBruno).
    I'm running the game from Steam and the launcher NEVER closes gracefully and I have to kill the task using Task Manager. Of all the game launchers around (and there are some shoddy ones let me tell you) NONE has an issue like this.
    Come on ZOS, it can't be that difficult to fix this...
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I also have to kill it with Task Manager. All the time.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this discussion is now a few months old, we've decided to close the thread. If you still need help with a similar issue, please feel free to begin a new thread in the support section.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.