Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PC: Certain key inputs randomly not working in ESO (and only ESO).

Kamatsu
Kamatsu
✭✭✭✭
I'm having a pretty bizarre issue in ESO where pressing certain keys isn't always working - and it's not just latency/lag on input. This is also happening only in ESO - in fact I can alt-tab (when my ALT key works) and open any other program and the keys I'm having issue with in ESO will work, tab back to ESO and they stop working.

Two key's in specific I've noticed:

ALT - used to close menu's/screens
SHIFT - my sprint key (either key, does it with both)

To many times I'll have to spam ALT for it to register, and my sprint key mostly works... but there are times where I'll go for 5-10 minutes without being able to sprint (meanwhile if I alt-tab out the SHIFT key works in other programs fine). I'm baffled about this and wondering what could be causing this.

RAM: 16 GB
CPU: Intel i5-6600K @ 4.0GHz
GPU: nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
Keyboard: Steelseries mechanical keyboard, connected via USB
Mouse: Logitech G300s, connected via USB

I only recently came back to ESO, and was not having this issue before. About the only thing I can think of is that I've selected the multi-threading option. Could that effect key-presses being recognized (and it's not latency, as holding down either SHIFT key for 1+ minute and no sprint means it's not latency/lag imo)?

Anyone got any other idea's or thoughts as to what could be causing this? Or what I could check (other than the multi-threading thing, which I'll check when I next can log in and play)?
o_O
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Kamatsu

Resetting the keybindings may help get the ALT and SHIFT keys to work correctly. To restore your keybindings to the default settings, follow the steps below:
    • Press [Esc] on your keyboard.
    • Click Controls in the menu that appears on the lefthand side of the screen.
    • Click Load Defaults or press R on your keyboard.

If you have trouble completing this step, or if this did not fix your issue, please run a repair on your game files before attempting the game again.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Kamatsu
    Kamatsu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the response.

- I have reset keybindings on all characters
    - I have run the repair files
    - I have also uninstalled all addons, making sure to delete SavedVariables as well.

The problem still persists, although not as bad as it was prior. My ALT key functions most of the time, but there are still incidents where I'll press it and nothing happens. Have not had the issue with my SHIFT key not working.

Right now, while frustrating it's not as big an issue as it was before - before my sprint was only working maybe 30% of the time, and ALT to close stuff had to be spammed. Having to re-tap ALT key now and again is a vast improvement over what it was like when I posted this thread.

About the only thing I can think of to try next is to disable the multi-threading and see if that fully resolves it.

I also wonder if my issue isn't server side, considering the issue's the server had with the launch of the Halloween event... but if it was, wouldn't there be more ppl with similar issue's?
    o_O
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kamatsu wrote: »
    I also wonder if my issue isn't server side, considering the issue's the server had with the launch of the Halloween event... but if it was, wouldn't there be more ppl with similar issue's?

I can see Sprint being something that could be server side, but ALT to close client menus should be local, at least in my little corner of reality.

Do you have the SteelSeries software installed? Maybe reinstall that?

Check to see if there are any driver updates.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Kamatsu
    Kamatsu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    I can see Sprint being something that could be server side, but ALT to close client menus should be local, at least in my little corner of reality.

Do you have the SteelSeries software installed? Maybe reinstall that?

Check to see if there are any driver updates.

True about the sprint thing - I only noticed it the day prior to the Halloween event, but it quickly became a major hassle - which is why I wondered if it was all a server side thing. However you're right in that the ALT should be fully client-side as it's just closing menu's/screens and/or opening last menu/screen.

I've never had any SteelSeries software installed. My keyboard doesn't have any lighting or fancy features - it's a SteelSeries 6gv2 Mechanical Keyboard. Here's a link to a site with info on it:

https://www.mechanical-keyboard.org/steelseries-6gv2/

Can't link to SteelSeries itself, as they do not list/show this keyboard on their site.

I might actually dig around and locate the USB->PS/2 converter and try that and see if that changes anything.

Although I'm puzzled as to why ESO is the only program I'm having an issue with. Like for instance, ALT brings up my browser menu at the top... and I can press ALT repeatedly and it'll show the menu, remove the menu, etc at each key-press without an issue. Yet in ESO it will randomly not work, have to be pressed multiple times, or act like it was pressed rapidly multiple times.
    o_O
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While this could be a game issue, have you tried a different keyboard or changed the batteries if it is wireless? This to rule out hardware. Also, a slight tweak to keyboard repeat rate can have a dramatic affect.

This game can get weird with keystrokes, i have it happen from time to time. But usually keys are responsive.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Kamatsu
    Kamatsu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    While this could be a game issue, have you tried a different keyboard or changed the batteries if it is wireless? This to rule out hardware. Also, a slight tweak to keyboard repeat rate can have a dramatic affect.

This game can get weird with keystrokes, i have it happen from time to time. But usually keys are responsive.
    Haven't tried a different keyboard, I guess I'll bug a friend to borrow theirs for a day and see! :D

Not wireless - I know a lot of ppl love wireless, but I hate having to constantly recharge batteries... so I stick with wired keyboards and mice.

I tried adjusting the keyboard repeater tick, but it made no difference. I might try adjusting it further, as I only went a little way at first, and see if it changes.

o_O
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Kamatsu

Since your keyboard is not wireless, another simple troubleshooting step to try is plugging the keyboard into a different USB port and testing if key inputs improve.
    Staff Post
  • Kamatsu
    Kamatsu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your replies - You can close this thread, as while I'm still not 100% sure what the issue is... I'm 100% sure it's an issue purely on my end.

- Tried multiple USB ports, no change
    - Tried unplugging controller, no change
    - Noticed the problem got worse the longer I played (this was a big hint/tipoff)
    - Tried a borrowed keyboard which connects via PS/2, no problems.

After trying to reconnect my controller and it having major issue's (ie I'd plug it in, no recognition, or borked recognition)... I decided to check further.

To my horror I discovered my CPU's heatsink fans were no longer running, - this would explain why the issue got worse the longer I played, CPU overheating due to lack of cooling. Youch. MB failure, as all SYSFAN ports on MB were not working. Time to look at replacing MB/CPU & PSU.

No idea how long it was like this, although as this problem only started a few days prior to posting this thread, wasn't too long. Still, want to thank everyone who posted with things to check , idea's and thoughts. It was appreciated! :)
    o_O
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    At the request of the OP, we will be closing this thread going forward.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.