The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Blackwood event - UP TO 2 tickets a day? clarification needed

Khenarthi
Khenarthi
✭✭✭✭✭
Looking at the official article, it says "During the Bounties of Blackwood event, you can earn up to two Event Tickets per day the first time you complete a Blackwood daily, meaning you can earn up to 26 tickets over the entire event." Hmmm... they way this is worded, as far as my knowledge of the English language goes, means there is a chance for tickets, not guaranteed 2 tickets per day. Could this be true? I mean... please, do not add RNG to tickets dropping! Particularly if they only drop at the very first daily of the day and none can be obtained again until potentially the day after!
PC-EU
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "up to" wording might have been a generic phrase, because several events have involved 2 or more zones, with tickets being split between the zones, hence you could earn "up to" a certain number depending on whether you earned tickets in all of the event zones or just 1 of them. Even though this event involves only 1 zone, they may have continued using the "up to" phrasing out of habit.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Aardappelboom
    Aardappelboom
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't read too much into it. It'll work like any other event and you can get a ticket per dialy quest or event quest (whatever is stated) depending on how many quests you do, at the end of the day you'll either have zero, one or two tickets.

"Zero, one or two" tickets can simply be phrased as "up to two" tickets. "up to to" just means you can get any number of tickets but not more than two tickets a day.
  • Naftal
    Naftal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calm down...

If you have 11 tickets and get two more, you're only going to get one. "Up to two".
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they used the phrasing "guaranteed" then they would be obligated to provide the tickets to you whether you participated or not. It is up to you whether you participate, so that is why they use that wording.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do a daily every day for 13 days, you'll earn 26 tix. If you don't participate every day, then you aren't going to earn 26 tix.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree it's confusing, but I'll be very surprised if they've randomised it. I suspect they have a template for writing these announcements and missed that the wording of the whole sentence needs to be changed for events where there's only 1 way to get tickets, rather than just editing the name of the event, number of tickets and content required to get them.
    I wouldn't read too much into it. It'll work like any other event and you can get a ticket per dialy quest or event quest (whatever is stated) depending on how many quests you do, at the end of the day you'll either have zero, one or two tickets.

"Zero, one or two" tickets can simply be phrased as "up to two" tickets. "up to to" just means you can get any number of tickets but not more than two tickets a day.

That would be a problem, considering it specifies in the same sentence that this is only the first time you complete a daily quest: "During the Bounties of Blackwood event, you can earn up to two Event Tickets per day the first time you complete a Blackwood daily, meaning you can earn up to 26 tickets over the entire event.

If only the first quest counts for tickets then it doesn't matter how many you do during the day, you've only got 1 opportunity to get tickets that day and if that quest gave one or zero tickets there's no way for you to get two that day.
    If they used the phrasing "guaranteed" then they would be obligated to provide the tickets to you whether you participated or not. It is up to you whether you participate, so that is why they use that wording.

Not necessarily, it depends on the rest of the sentence. If they said something like 'During the Blackwood event you are guaranteed two Event Tickets per day the first time you complete a Blackwood daily" that would still make it clear that you have to do the quest to get the tickets. To imply that everyone is going to get tickets during the event they would have to remove the other conditions from the sentence as well.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    The "up to" wording might have been a generic phrase, because several events have involved 2 or more zones, with tickets being split between the zones, hence you could earn "up to" a certain number depending on whether you earned tickets in all of the event zones or just 1 of them. Even though this event involves only 1 zone, they may have continued using the "up to" phrasing out of habit.

Yeah, I'd expect it to be a "cut and paste" error - using an older article as a template, without fully proofreading it afterwards.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

Yeah, I'd expect it to be a "cut and paste" error - using an older article as a template, without fully proofreading it afterwards.

Same here. This event is all one zone. Last event was multiple zones with tickets spread across them. Makes sense that this is an editing error.
    Edited by Elsonso on September 29, 2021 2:07PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Malkiv
    Malkiv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn’t matter how many zones there are. If the maximum is 2 - and there is the potential to collect less than 2 - then “up to two” is still valid wording under any circumstance, regardless of the number of zones.

@Danikat
    The wording is fine, and is similar every event where tickets are claimed after a daily quest turn-in. There is more than one quest-giver, so the first time you complete a daily for that quest-giver, you get a ticket. Subsequent turn-ins for the same daily vendor does not yield additional tickets. The message doesn’t need to be verbose to drive a point. This isn’t your first rodeo, so you already know this.
    PC-NA | PvP (Gray Host & BGs) | PvE (vTrials & vDGs)
  • Blackskyszz
    Blackskyszz
    ✭✭✭
    Just make sure to check how many tickets you already have before you start the event.
    Remember the max you can have at any time is 12. So it is your responsibility to check it.
    If you have 12 before you start the event, go to the event merchant and spend down your tickets.
    Otherwise, if you do the event, the "UP TO 2 TICKETS" you earn will be for naught.

I'm just surprised they never upped the quantity of event tickets we can hold instead of the 12 now.

Edited by Blackskyszz on September 30, 2021 12:49AM
  • Zenzuki
    Zenzuki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS has a very competent legal team.

It's worded correctly for its purpose.
    Can Open...
    Worms EVERYWHERE!
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

Not necessarily, it depends on the rest of the sentence. If they said something like 'During the Blackwood event you are guaranteed two Event Tickets per day the first time you complete a Blackwood daily" that would still make it clear that you have to do the quest to get the tickets. To imply that everyone is going to get tickets during the event they would have to remove the other conditions from the sentence as well.

No it isn't the same thing, again they choose that language, probably done by their legal department for a good reason. The statement you typed out would be rejected because if, for example, you opened that first crate while your ticket inventory was 11/12 or 12/12 you would get 1 or zero tickets...which would be a problem with the "guaranteed" language in your statement.

I am not sure why this language is suddenly confusing, I just looked back at the last several events and it's the same language there.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just make sure to check how many tickets you already have before you start the event.
    Remember the max you can have at any time is 12. So it is your responsibility to check it.
    If you have 12 before you start the event, go to the event merchant and spend down your tickets.
    Otherwise, if you do the event, the "UP TO 2 TICKETS" you earn will be for naught.

I'm just surprised they never upped the quantity of event tickets we can hold instead of the 12 now.

They cap the tickets at 12 to prevent people from saving up any more than the minimum necessary heading into future events. Even with this event it was possible to save 12 and then be able to get the last part of the mount without having bought Blackwood. They want to drive active participation in each event and drive sales of DLC areas when the events are there. Letting people save more tickets disincentivizes those things.

The limit of 12 exists because there have been events that give 3 tickets at once, which means that if you have 9 already, you would otherwise have to lose some in order to get enough to buy a 10-ticket item. 12 was the lowest cap they could implement that didn’t force people into losing tickets. Any event that gives more than 3 tickets per day has those tickets split up so you can micromanage them and avoid losing the extras.