The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Zone Chat SPAM criteria

Th3M3nt0r
Th3M3nt0r
✭✭✭
What actually is spam criteria in zone chat?
It's a lot of WTS/WTB spamming within 1 minute by the same person! Is it any restriction to delay post? Or how do @ZOS determinate spammers?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no set criteria for WTB/WTS type chat that has actual gsmeplay value, nor any delay for posting.

It's up to you to determine if you feel it's spamming.

Though, anecdotally, the one person I reported for zone chat spamming was posting huge paragraphs of nonsense text multiple times per minute during the Summerset event when people were using zone chat to form up for World Bosses and share quests. The text blocks were so large that it took up the whole chat box and made it difficult to scroll to the player's name to ignore them so we didn't see the posts or to report them. Myself and other players resorted to naming the guy in zone so people could report if they felt it violated the TOS, while he tried to spam chat to stop us.

That was genuinely disruptive zone chat spam.

It's up to you to decide if what you are seeing is worthy of a report to ZOS as well as simply ignoring the player doing it.
    Edited by VaranisArano on September 22, 2021 11:25AM
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you follow the zone chat otherwise ? (Just asking because at least on PCEU not much is happening there). If you dont and it annoys you, you can just unselect it from the chat options, or make a dedicated chat tab for it and peek in only when you need to.
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
  • Th3M3nt0r
    Th3M3nt0r
    ✭✭✭
    Usually, I follow zone chat for LFM @craglorn cant switch it off :)

But why I'm asking for. I'm posting
    H LFG nCR farm run

in zone chat a couple of times [snip]. But it still tons WTS or WTB from the same persons within a minutes and they still in game :)
    [snip]
    This is why I was confused what is criteria for spamming :) and actually what is spamming is :)LFG - spam WTS - not spam :)

[edited for Discussing Disciplinary Actions]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on September 22, 2021 12:43PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Th3M3nt0r wrote: »
    Usually, I follow zone chat for LFM @craglorn cant switch it off :)

No, but if it's the same person and you aren't interested in whatever wares Khajiit is selling, I'd throw them on Ignore for the game session.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course spamming is worth condemnation BUT sometimes for some reasons, when I am writing in chat my messages are not displayed so i am sending them again and sometimes they pop-up at the same moment en masse ;p
    Edited by Ippokrates on September 22, 2021 12:52PM
  • ajkb78
    ajkb78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're asking about the DC that sometimes happens accompanied by the message "you were kicked from the server for excessive messaging" or whatever the wording is, that's nothing to do with typing things in zone chat. It's to do with client-server messages: rarely, if there's a lag spike, it seems that all the game messages from your client to the server land at the same time. The server responds by booting you to protect itself from corrupted clients or ddos. The message explaining it is confusing but it's nothing to do with typing 'lfg NCR farm run' or whatever a few times in zone chat.
    Edited by ajkb78 on September 22, 2021 12:50PM
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me spamming would be posting the same message multiple times in a short time frame. Listing 10 items for sale one after the other is less spam than asking for a vampire bite every 20 seconds.

Everyone has different tolerances tho, there's no official rule so it's mostly just opinion
    PS4 EU
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're on PC/Mac, there is also an addon that can give you complete control of what you see in your chat. You can block out anything you want in any chat channel (zone, group, guild, all, etc) via presets (LFG, Guild Adverts, WTB/WTS, etc) and/or you can also define any custom words to filter out. There is also the ability to optionally block friend logon/logoff messages. It can be setup to notify in your chat area when something is blocked or be completely silent. There is a viewable history of everything that is blocked as well.

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info3032-AdBlockPlus-BlockChatAdvertisementsSpamMore.html

Edited by scorpius2k1 on September 22, 2021 1:45PM
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer