The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mechanical Acuity is DEAD

Fhritz
Fhritz
✭✭✭✭✭
Mechanical Acuity: This item now grants a stack of Mechanical Acuity for 4 seconds whenever you deal non-Critical Damage, granting you 20% Critical Chance per stack, up to once every half second. After this effect ends or reaches 5 stacks, it cannot occur again for 25 seconds.

ZoS, this set is powerful, but there's a line between "nerf" and "delete the set" :'(
I'm a single character man.
Stamblade. Khajiit. Mostly pvp.
And...that's it.
  • Kinkysaurus
    Kinkysaurus
    ✭✭
    I'm looking at decon for gold mats. At least those are useful ...
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it hilarious that the set gives you crit chance but refreshes by not getting a crit.
  • vms11934
    vms11934
    ✭✭✭
    I can see changing this set (to cut down on the ganking ability it provides), but yeah this change looks pretty awful. Some parses will ultimately show how much difference it makes.

They should keep the 21 second timer and make it so you gain one stack of Mechanical Acuity with each non-crit attack that last for 4 seconds. Once you reach 5 stacks, you get the 100% crit chance bonus for 5 seconds.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, you guys thought this was balancing? Its gutting the set. I'm sure you can come up with something better than this atrocity.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Fhritz
    Fhritz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IDK, keep the same proc but make it grant like 50% crit, or keep the new proc but reduce A LOT the cooldown
    And...that's it.
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So is Catalyst...
  • Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fhritz wrote: »
    Mechanical Acuity: This item now grants a stack of Mechanical Acuity for 4 seconds whenever you deal non-Critical Damage, granting you 20% Critical Chance per stack, up to once every half second. After this effect ends or reaches 5 stacks, it cannot occur again for 25 seconds.

ZoS, this set is powerful, but there's a line between "nerf" and "delete the set" :'(

It's deleted for gankers which is great but now it is better. Remember each stack resets the timer so, 20% for up to 4 sec, then 40%, then 60%, then 80% then 100%, that is 7-20 sec buff. The 20% bonus is better than any other set and this can increase up to 5 times. The only question is if the cooldown starts immediately or after the effect ends the 25 seconds starts. Either way though this seems like a good set still.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    And Elemental Succession, FeelsBadMan.
  • Fhritz
    Fhritz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merforum wrote: »

It's deleted for gankers which is great but now it is better. Remember each stack resets the timer so, 20% for up to 4 sec, then 40%, then 60%, then 80% then 100%, that is 7-20 sec buff. The 20% bonus is better than any other set and this can increase up to 5 times. The only question is if the cooldown starts immediately or after the effect ends the 25 seconds starts. Either way though this seems like a good set still.

The timer start after the end
    And...that's it.
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe you missed the part where it resets on a NON crit
    Edited by Dragonredux on September 20, 2021 6:49PM
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was kind of overtuned. Everyone was running it. But elemental succession? Seriously?
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, my first reaction was: It's gutted. However if being refreshed on non-crit drags out it's uptime, maybe that will statistically work in PvE. Depends on the implementation, I guess.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, once the set reaches 5 stacks it does a 4 second counter and then goes away and sits on a 25 second cooldown. So at most, you will have 100% crit for 4 seconds. But that also requires you need to do a non critical hit at least every 4 seconds leading up to 5 stacks.

The half second spacing between stacks almost seems unnecessary. I think if they removed that it would be interesting and still somewhat viable. Maybe cut the % per stack down to 10% and increase the stack count to 10. So that it takes longer to get to +100% but you at least get a ramping value for a decent amount of time. And it removes all of the frontloaded aspect of it.
  • Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    Well, my first reaction was: It's gutted. However if being refreshed on non-crit drags out it's uptime, maybe that will statistically work in PvE. Depends on the implementation, I guess.

Exactly, by it stacking with non-crit each stack will be harder to get thereby increasing the overall duration. It seems like a very smart change and still usable set, where you don't have to put anything into crit chance in other places at all. But before it was an insane ganker set and had to be changed.
  • Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you have to read it again, it adds more stacks on Non-crit, which is what is good, to prolong the duration.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly, by it stacking with non-crit each stack will be harder to get thereby increasing the overall duration. It seems like a very smart change and still usable set, where you don't have to put anything into crit chance in other places at all. But before it was an insane ganker set and had to be changed.

As it is now, at best it will have a 20 second uptime with only 4 seconds of +100%.

At worst, it will have a 6 second uptime with 4 seconds of +100%.

That .5 second stack cooldown is odd. Since the better this procs on cooldown the worse it actually gets. And you will only get the 20 second uptime if you are gaining a stack exactly every 4 seconds, which is very unlikely.
  • Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

As it is now, at best it will have a 20 second uptime with only 4 seconds of +100%.

That .5 second stack cooldown is odd. Since the better this procs on cooldown the worse it actually gets. And you will only get the 20 second uptime if you are gaining a stack exactly every 4 seconds, which is very unlikely.

Exactly right, I like that gankers can't use it any more the most, even if it was useless. But actually it is still useful. I agree that it stacking every .5 sec instead of every 1 sec seems to make it worse than it could be, but 4 sec of 100% crit + 2-16 sec of 20-80% is better than the old set I think. And good considering that other sets 5 piece bonuses give max 10%. Definitely NOT DEAD.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Set isn’t dead. If you use a aoe and get 5 non critical hit you get the bonus critical rating. With the changes to proc sets being able to crit devs need to reduce 100% critical chance from this set. I think it needs a lower cool down. Maybe 15-20 seconds
  • Fhritz
    Fhritz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Set isn’t dead. If you use a aoe and get 5 non critical hit you get the bonus critical rating. With the changes to proc sets being able to crit devs need to reduce 100% critical chance from this set. I think it needs a lower cool down. Maybe 15-20 seconds

Or at least make the cooldown start whenever the first stack proc
    And...that's it.
  • woe
    woe
    ✭✭✭✭

uwu
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

Well technically....

At worst you would have 4 seconds of +20%, get very "unlucky" and get no normal hits for 4 seconds and it goes on CD, resulting in a terrible 4/29 seconds of 20% crit, or about a 2.8% increase in overall critical chance. This is of course very unlikely.

At best you would have 4/25 seconds of +20%, followed by 4/25 seconds of +40%, 4/25 of 60%, 4/25 of 80% and 4/25 of 100% for a weighted average of 48% increase in critical chance. This is also VERY unlikely.

So chances are the real number lies somewhere in the middle of the two figures of 48% and 2.8%. So perhaps 20-30%?

Right now on live the set gives you 5/21 seconds basically on CD of 100% crit chance or a long term average of around 24% crit chance. So it doesn't seem too far off to me.

Edit: Actually the correct math would be 4/45 seconds for the second example, since you would get 20 second of the effect, followed by a 25 second CD once you hit the 5 stacks for a total of 45 seconds.

New math says 27% top end figure, not 48%. So the number is probably closer to 15%. Boo. Will need to test to tell if my math is right, but I don't really to PTS anymore.
    Edited by danno8 on September 20, 2021 10:26PM
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, as an extra bit to my above post, if you have any crit in your build at all that may push your crit above the 20% mark (everyone has a base 10% chance), you will never even have a chance at extending the proc into the 20 second range since you will be at 100% crit chance at the 4th stack giving you a theoretical maximum of 16 seconds, driving down that long-term average buff time.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like the new mechanic. If you ever do get 100% crit chance it won't last more than 4 seconds. But you can get a crit % boost up to less than 100% for way longer. People just need to play around with it on PTS.
  • deadpool3431
    deadpool3431
    ✭✭✭
    I was using mech acuity to gank without relying on a set to do my direct damage for me, but if they want me to use those sets to do it I will. I could have been using a build that outperformed it then,, and will most assuredly outperform it after this patch.They're not getting rid of gankers no matter how much people cry on the forums.. some of you are going to have to accept that being one shotted is your own fault.
  • pleximus
    pleximus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just me but I never thought of Mechanical Acuity as an issue in pvp? Even if I died to it, I didn't care. Let people use the sets they want without nerfing the hell out of them.

Except for Dark Convergence and Hrothgar; thank you for the nerf. I hope Dark Convergence does NOT drag you THROUGH the floor now!
  • Hescrow
    Hescrow
    ✭✭

Agree.
    The line has been crossed from far far away!
    Lol
    Edited by Hescrow on October 22, 2021 7:18AM
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's dead? :'(
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • lemonizzle
    lemonizzle
    ✭✭✭✭
    We are terribly sorry about that, please visit the crown store for ESO Plus exclusive gilded handkerchiefs to wipe your tears away.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It was bound to happen. ZOS plays the pendulum swinging meta-shift game with sets and abilities every 3 months. I get that MMOs need to shake up the meta every so often, but it is rather tiring to change my characters' gear with this kind of frequency (speaking from a PvP perspective).
    Edited by The_Lex on October 22, 2021 8:00PM
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    happens to lots of sets. It even happens to sub-optimal sets as well. This happened to my favorite set a while back, Queen's Elegance. It was a sub-optimal set that gave +20% light attack damage. Made a non-werewolf build with that set. It wasn't great, it did 70k dps on average with 85k highs depending on procs. My damage is higher now, but it was a fun casual character, easier to play than any character I have now. Elegance wasn't a set that was used before much, but now? It's not used at all.
    So yeah, a difference between nerfs, changes, and "delete this set entirely." In Elegance's case, it was delete this set entirely because now it's just one of the many bad sets no one uses where it was once a niche set. Mechanical Acuity though? It's a nerf. It's not good, but could find a home in niche off-meta builds and still work fine, but will probably never be top tier as it is now.