The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Crown Crates drop rate... meh

ZeroDPS
ZeroDPS
✭✭✭✭
Hi everyone, so yesterday I have bought crates for a couple of hundreds dollars... and what I got only a HORSE!!! this is not right imho valuable items drop rate is extremely low.... Idk guys what are you thinking? Because I could buy chapters for upcoming 4 years, and got only a horse.....
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Be sure to exchange the consumables and such for Crown Gems. That's kind of the real gain from crates, which you can use to buy specific things.

On the crown crate menu there's 'Extract Gems' option.

Even some furnishings can be exchanged for gems, but those aren't obtainable in other ways.
    PC NA
  • DJfriede
    DJfriede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZeroDPS wrote: »
    Because I could buy chapters for upcoming 4 years, and got only a horse.....

You kind of answered your own question here: Crown crates are not a transaction where you pay x amount to receive y amount in return. They are gambling. Sometimes you get way more, most times you get way less than what you invested - or expected to get. Crown crates are a way of making people pay a lot more for shiny items than people would be willing to pay outright.

It is your money and all, but paying several hundred dollars for crown crates sounds like a mistake to begin with -- for me personally.

• ZeroDPS
    ZeroDPS
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »
    Be sure to exchange the consumables and such for Crown Gems. That's kind of the real gain from crates, which you can use to buy specific things.

On the crown crate menu there's 'Extract Gems' option.

Even some furnishings can be exchanged for gems, but those aren't obtainable in other ways.

hey mate I know it of course, but even with it I could get only 1 skin

I think for that much money drop rate should be a bit higher... Because really I paid for like minimum 3 chapters(collector editions) price....
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It doesn't matter how much money you spend, each crate has the same chances.
    It wouldn't be fair to us poor people otherwise.
  • ZeroDPS
    ZeroDPS
    ✭✭✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »

mate, Im talking about increasing drop rate a bit, and for all players. Like + 10-15% thats it, wont it be better?
  • Adremal
    Adremal
    ✭✭✭✭
    DJfriede wrote: »
    It is your money and all, but paying several hundred dollars for crown crates sounds like a mistake to begin with -- for me personally.
    Some people have a gambling problem, it can't be helped. Sterling has explained how such systems are predatory countless times and how he, having a gambling issue himself, often still gives in. There are more severe cases, people literally go to therapy and/or take meds if they have a gambling problem.
    For these reasons I find it morally reprehensible that the crate system is even in game (along other questionable marketing strategies such as exploiting fear of missing out and the likes).
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

mate, Im talking about increasing drop rate a bit, and for all players. Like + 10-15% thats it, wont it be better?

But you said "for that much money."
    A better drop rate for all would be great, sure, but I'm not sure it would fit their business model.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Scam crates are a scam.
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're right. The droprate of the items in the Crown Crates has really bombed in the last few years.

In the beginning, I would buy one of the 15 crate packs and would get at *least* one nice mount, a pet, furniture and other fun stuff. Now, I get xp rolls and potions. I do exchange them for gems, yes.

But basically, I've stopped buying.

I realize that ZOS thought that people would buy more crates if ZOS dropped the rate of interesting drops. But I wouldn't be surprised if exactly the opposite is happening.

By now, I do my endeavours, and if that means I have to wait one or two years for something really special, so be it. No more crates for me...
  • DJfriede
    DJfriede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adremal wrote: »
    DJfriede wrote: »
    Some people have a gambling problem, it can't be helped. Sterling has explained how such systems are predatory countless times and how he, having a gambling issue himself, often still gives in. There are more severe cases, people literally go to therapy and/or take meds if they have a gambling problem.
    For these reasons I find it morally reprehensible that the crate system is even in game (along other questionable marketing strategies such as exploiting fear of missing out and the likes).

I agree. Whenever (rarely) I buy some crown crates with ESO+, I get an urge to buy more after I opened some. They are designed so well, psychologically speaking.
  • ZeroDPS
    ZeroDPS
    ✭✭✭✭

You're right. The droprate of the items in the Crown Crates has really bombed in the last few years.

In the beginning, I would buy one of the 15 crate packs and would get at *least* one nice mount, a pet, furniture and other fun stuff. Now, I get xp rolls and potions. I do exchange them for gems, yes.

But basically, I've stopped buying.

I realize that ZOS thought that people would buy more crates if ZOS dropped the rate of interesting drops. But I wouldn't be surprised if exactly the opposite is happening.

By now, I do my endeavours, and if that means I have to wait one or two years for something really special, so be it. No more crates for me...

agree with you!!!

no more $ for crates its ridiculous! spent like 200$ for nothing!!! hope USA government will do something with this!
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm being doubtful you only got a horse for that amount. It's not possible get just a single mount+consumbles unless you only bought one single crate :p
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm being doubtful you only got a horse for that amount. It's not possible get just a single mount+consumbles unless you only bought one single crate :p

I took it to mean it was the only thing he wanted and the rest was "junk." :p
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, so yesterday I have bought crates for a couple of hundreds dollars... and what I got only a HORSE!!! this is not right imho valuable items drop rate is extremely low.... Idk guys what are you thinking? Because I could buy chapters for upcoming 4 years, and got only a horse.....

At least you got a horse.

I splurged and bought 2 full sets a while back and didn't get a single mount. Lots of emotes and other duplicates, but not a single mount.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    (...) Because I could buy chapters for upcoming 4 years, and got only a horse.....
    Crates working as intented: house always wins.

"Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • ZeroDPS
    ZeroDPS
    ✭✭✭✭

horse and for gems I have bought skin which is not the best one, Im just silent about those 3 super mounts....
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The "meh"is why I don't waste money on them.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first and last time I bought 15 pack crown crates, I got 2 Sweet Rolls out of them. I used them to buy the Psijic Wolf Exemplar and Psijic Senche Exemplar mounts. I'm not doing that ever again.
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just took a peek at the new crates.

Not hyped.

And since I know the droprate is going to be abyssmal, and I can craft my own xp and other potions, I'm going to refrain...
  • Michaelkeir
    Michaelkeir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they increased the drop rate chance then people would get what they want faster, and in turn spend less money. ZoS wants all the money’s so it’s in their best interest to rig the drop rates to encourage you to spend more and more money.
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, so yesterday I have bought crates for a couple of hundreds dollars...

Why on gods green earth would you spend that much money on crates? :o