Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Help with Magplar PvP

Amerises
Amerises
✭✭✭✭
Magma Incarnate (head/shoulders, light)
Deadly strike (2 jewelry, 3 medium body)
Malacarth (ring)
Merciless Charge (weapon x2)
Trainee (2 body, light)

Ritual
Sweeps
Stampede
Flex
Breath of Life/Honor the Dead

Flawless Dawnbreaker

• ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just slot light, heard it ends all problems with the class and makes magplars god.

On a serious note, without describing a problem or what you are looking for, how can anyone help...?
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I don't know if this would be good. I don't really like my stamplar (deadly/unleashed) and looking to switch it up. I like Sweeps for healing, but not sure how this will perform
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What are your questions specifically?

Based on your post you are trying to run some sort of hybrid build?
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amerises wrote: »
    Well I don't know if this would be good. I don't really like my stamplar (deadly/unleashed) and looking to switch it up. I like Sweeps for healing, but not sure how this will perform

I'm new too but why Merciless Charge with magicka build and Malacarth?

Stampede is guaranteed to crit and coupled with crit damage passive it should do better without Malacarth.

I witnessed sweep worked great against melee but probably no good for fast moving ranged guys. A few shots on you while keeping the distance and you're out.

What's wrong with deadly/unleashed? I love my unleashed + merciless charge and it does a lot of overall damage in bg, not necessarily kills but I help my group a lot that way, always high assist scores.

You don't have a defensive set. How do you stay alive?
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unleashed has the 2 sec wait now, so was looking at other options. Merciless Charge not for the crit, but for gap closer, as the templar closer hit less AND isn't affected by vMA 2H. I like the idea of malacarth because the buff to magplars focusing on a raw damage Sweeps for high damage and high heals. The medium armor for added WD/SD and armor.

I think my biggest concerns sustain, and still not doing enough damage. This update I've seen a 2% less damage from deadly and 2sec delay on unleashed, and a small sustain nerf to stamplar. This update seems very much a nerf to PvP stamplars. Now not a huge nerf, but its not like I was OP or anything anyways.
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    So questions for help are sustain and damage being issues vs previous set up?
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    This update I've seen a 2% less damage from deadly and 2sec delay on unleashed, and a small sustain nerf to stamplar. This update seems very much a nerf to PvP stamplars. Now not a huge nerf, but its not like I was OP or anything anyways.

So that's why my enemies died 2 sec after me, must be really annoying to them :D:D

I saw better templars used Charge stun, Backlash and Radiant on me, and kept healing by Sweep.

Why not get pariah for defense? can't imagine myself lasting 5 seconds without it.
    Edited by moo_2021 on August 29, 2021 8:39PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't really know where to start with this. Only: Don't do it. Sweeps is not the healing skill it is in PvE. Also: You're trying to run a one bar build in PvP?! Also: You're forgoing Toppling Charge, one of the best gap closers in the game? Also: You're trying to use Deadly on a magplar, a set whose 2/3/4 stats are still stam focused? Also: You're using a weak monster set. Also: You're not getting crit%, nor mag sustain, nor pen from medium armor.

I know ZOS hybridised the game, but did they? Maybe the title of this thread is confusing me. This is a hybrid spec, not a magplar. Playing an actual magplar, I can tell you that Sweeps is a minor nice-to-have heal in PvP. Magplars are notorious for being forced onto their backbars, block casting Honor the Dead, because they don't have enough ongoing healing. The usual solution is to have some tankiness, such as Pariah, to slot Mist Form, to use Living Dark, to stay in your Ritual. I also find mag crit% important. Honor the Dead isn't all that. It's pretty nerfed, compared to old patches. I find that, in order to get good value out of it, I need it to crit more than anything and that is one of the reasons I have preferred light armor over heavy in previous patches. Now there's the medium option I'm not sure, but there is really too little information in your post. It doesn't describe a complete build with mundus, food, (weapon) traits, resulting stats and so on. Google / try the UESP build editor.
    Edited by fred4 on August 29, 2021 11:02PM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    I don't really know where to start with this. Only: Don't do it. Sweeps is not the healing skill it is in PvE. Also: You're trying to run a one bar build in PvP?! Also: You're forgoing Toppling Charge, one of the best gap closers in the game? Also: You're trying to use Deadly on a magplar, a set whose 2/3/4 stats are still stam focused? Also: You're using a weak monster set. Also: You're not getting crit%, nor mag sustain, nor pen from medium armor.

I know ZOS hybridised the game, but did they? Maybe the title of this thread is confusing me. This is a hybrid spec, not a magplar. Playing an actual magplar, I can tell you that Sweeps is a minor nice-to-have heal in PvP. Magplars are notorious for being forced onto their backbars, block casting Honor the Dead, because they don't have enough ongoing healing. The usual solution is to have some tankiness, such as Pariah, to slot Mist Form, to use Living Dark, to stay in your Ritual. I also find mag crit% important. Honor the Dead isn't all that. It's pretty nerfed, compared to old patches. I find that, in order to get good value out of it, I need it to crit more than anything and that is one of the reasons I have preferred light armor over heavy in previous patches. Now there's the medium option I'm not sure, but there is really too little information in your post. It doesn't describe a complete build with mundus, food, (weapon) traits, resulting stats and so on. Google / try the UESP build editor.

That's what I was looking for, lol.
    You also make a magplar sound so lame, so sounds like I'll be keeping him stam, even with a mild nerf 😪
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »

That's what I was looking for, lol.
    You also make a magplar sound so lame, so sounds like I'll be keeping him stam, even with a mild nerf 😪

Magplar isn't lame, but you're trying to hard with the hybrid set-up you had.
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    So what should replace unleashed this update, or what's a magllar set up look like?
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magplar is better than stamplar, lol
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh gosh. Okay, so what sets would I be looking at? Or maybe link a nice build? Please and thank you
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dark convergence + stuhns with vate ice back bar
    Heartland conq + stuhns/war maiden (front bar) with maelstrom resto back bar
    Hrothgar chill + dark convergence for lulz
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can tell you for a fact, as I have tried MagPlar in PVP, that Sweeps won't help one iota towards keeping you alive and if that is your strategy, you are already dead.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Depends on how much your sweeps hits for, no?
    You hit like a noodle, you heal for 40 percent of a noodle.
    You hit like a truck, you heal for 40 percent of a truck.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Depends on how much your sweeps hits for, no?
    You hit like a noodle, you heal for 40 percent of a noodle.
    You hit like a truck, you heal for 40 percent of a truck.

No, it really doesn't matter. My spell damage rating was in the 6-7k range and I was wearing malacaths, and sweeps helped very little towards keeping me alive, I had to use other means... and was definitely not hitting like a wet noodle by any means. ;)
    Edited by Kwoung on August 31, 2021 8:14PM
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I mean bubble can heal 7k per second, so yes if your sweeps is doing like 4k on someone you will get a heal for half of that. My point is it isn't inconsequential.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anyway @ op, check out kuroyuki. He is a really solid magplar who has videos and guides. He is on the forums, YouTube, and esouniversity
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I mean bubble can heal 7k per second, so yes if your sweeps is doing like 4k on someone you will get a heal for half of that. My point is it isn't inconsequential.

Correct, it isn't inconsequential and actually did decent damage, but is not, by any means a primary means of staying alive consistently, for me it simple kept me in the fight a tad longer before having to actually heal up. Unlike PVE where this skill will allow you to solo WB's, in PVP it gets blocked, the enemies can have huge resists, be mitigating it with CP, etc... so counting on healing off damage done, is a sketchy proposition at best and incredibly easy to counter.

Edited by Kwoung on August 31, 2021 8:35PM
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »

Correct, it isn't inconsequential and actually did decent damage, but is not, by any means a primary means of staying alive consistently, for me it simple kept me in the fight a tad longer before having to actually heal up. Unlike PVE where this skill will allow you to solo WB's, in PVP it gets blocked, the enemies can have huge resists, be mitigating it with CP, etc... so counting on healing off damage done, is a sketchy proposition at best and incredibly easy to counter.

Yeah I agree. If you could out heal enemy damage in PvP with 1 offensive skill it would be broken. As supplemental healing it is very nice.
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I decided to keep it stamplar, and this is what I have. Specific questions I have are:
    Is there anything I'm totally missing? Like another set over deadly or something.
    At 19k pen, is that enough AND should I still slot minor and major breach? (PotL and Caltrops)
    Living Dark even worth it? I like it back bar so while I'm escaping, hits are healing me and I'm CC'ing those on my tail.
    Sweeps vs flawless dawnbreaker?
    Stats are roughly 16k mag, 29k stam, 31k health, 6k WD, 29/26k resistances.
    Poisons vs enchants?

# Cresent Sweeps
    1. Rally
    2. Jabs
    3. Toppling Charge
    4. Repentance
    5. Echoing Vigor

# Barrier
    1. Quick Cloak
    2. Restoring Focus
    3. Living Dark
    4. Flare
    5. Extended Ritual

Tristat potions
    Bears food
    Escaptionist poison Back Bar
    Crown poison Front Bar
    Orc race
    64 stam
    Lover mundus
    Tristat enchants
    Divines Armor (sustain is really good due to magika abilities)
    5-1-1 (med, heavy, light)

Sithis helm and Domihaus shoulders
    Stuhns body pieces
    Deadly front bar and jewels, infused WD and sharpened
    BRP swords with defending backbar

• Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and should I try slotting Turn Evil for a longer CC? I obviously like toppling Charge for gap closing and stun, but AoE fear + 3% WD is pretty good too! What would I drop for it?
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Responded to your other thread, use that going forward for stamplar info.
  • Rakdos
    Rakdos
    ✭✭
    Malacarth (ring)
    Trainee (2 body, light)

Ritual
    Sweeps
    Stampede
    Flex

Flawless Dawnbreaker

Here is My Magplar setup:

5 x Draugrkin's Grip All light armor
    5 x Mechanical Acuity Weapon and Jewelry (Lightning staff) + Heavy reinforced body armor
    1 x wild hunt ring
    1 x Valkyn skoria for extra spell penetration

All jewelry using swift trait for extra moving speed
    Stage 3 Vampire
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, don't run melee on mage classes, even now that they made it buff magic damage too. You'll struggle sustaining it.

4 heavy 3 light, and wear Ring of the Wild Hunt, 3x swift. LOS is your defense, you can heal up in 2 GCDs with Breath of Life. Use elusive mist too.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rakdos wrote: »
    Malacarth (ring)
    Trainee (2 body, light)

Ritual
    Sweeps
    Stampede
    Flex

Flawless Dawnbreaker

5 x Mechanical Acuity Weapon and Jewelry (Lightning staff) + Heavy reinforced body armor
    1 x wild hunt ring

Stage 3 Vampire

Lol almost the same setup, bar draugrkin on jewels to allow heavy pieces on body, and DSA destro backbar for extra burst.

https://youtu.be/rSICb07bjgU
  • Rakdos
    Rakdos
    ✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »
    Malacarth (ring)
    Trainee (2 body, light)

Ritual
    Sweeps
    Stampede
    Flex

Flawless Dawnbreaker

1 x wild hunt ring

Stage 3 Vampire

Lol almost the same setup, bar draugrkin on jewels to allow heavy pieces on body, and DSA destro backbar for extra burst.

I have heard about something about the effectiveness of the armor calculations and damage mitigation from other thread. cannot remenber the detailed calculation process but the conclusion is that the light armor can get more mitigation compare to heavy armor from those n% damage reduction sources.

I am considering switch to 7 light armor to get a bit more aggresive, and the survivability is coming from

1. front bar flare for major protection (10% damage reduction)
    2. templar class provide the minor protection (5% damage reduction)
    3. the vampire provide up to 30% damage reduction,

Those n% damage reduction is not going to be reduced by my opponents penetration and it helps the survivability
    besides, lower armor can also reduce the damage from the hrothgar set. almost everybody using it right now
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »
    Malacarth (ring)
    Trainee (2 body, light)

Ritual
    Sweeps
    Stampede
    Flex

Flawless Dawnbreaker

1 x wild hunt ring

Stage 3 Vampire

I have heard about something about the effectiveness of the armor calculations and damage mitigation from other thread. cannot remenber the detailed calculation process but the conclusion is that the light armor can get more mitigation compare to heavy armor from those n% damage reduction sources.

I am considering switch to 7 light armor to get a bit more aggresive, and the survivability is coming from

1. front bar flare for major protection (10% damage reduction)
    2. templar class provide the minor protection (5% damage reduction)
    3. the vampire provide up to 30% damage reduction,

Those n% damage reduction is not going to be reduced by my opponents penetration and it helps the survivability
    besides, lower armor can also reduce the damage from the hrothgar set. almost everybody using it right now

You can have all that AND heavy armor.

You get weakness to phys damage % and also lowest armor rating possible. 6600 armor = +10% armor mitigation (which is more than 10% mitigation).
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    is 7k spell damage the effective power or raw spell damage after buffs? (no cp)

I already hit armor cap with gaze, 6 light, pariah jewelry and weapons, at around 50% HP.

But attack is weak compared to stamden and the only offensive advantage is charge stun plus break-free not working most of time.

How could people increase the damage? Even with all dmg enchant and mundus I could only push 4k to 5k by trading sustain. Crit chance, crit dmg, spell dmg are very low compared to other classes. My 2nd set is Crafty Alfiq but I have evaluated other sets in build editor and at best they give like 5-10% improvement at the cost of shield strength.