Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

GPU question

redlink1979
redlink1979
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I'd like to upgrade my GPU to increase the performance but I'm not entirely sure what to purchase.
Some help/enlightenment would be very appreciated.

My PC specs:
- Intel Core i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz
- System RAM 8GB DDR4
Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on August 25, 2021 6:49PM
"Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
  • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
  • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
  • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
  • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    More importantly, where can you find the latest GPUs online at MSRP?

A year later and everything's still sold out or prices have doubled.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on August 25, 2021 4:18PM
    PC NA
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your comment but that's not the path of discussion I'd like to pursuit.
    I'm aware that everything has become more expensive, the pandemic kicked in and over time the situation has been aggravating itself.
    I just want to discuss which is(are) my best option(s) regarding the pc specs that I have.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
  • Alendrin
    Alendrin
    ✭✭✭
    What GPU do you have? ESO is very CPU dependent and you might get more out of a CPU upgrade.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I have been able to run eso with everything from an rx580 to a 2070 super. So really most gpus you can find at any decent price will work
  • molecule
    molecule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alendrin wrote: »
    What GPU do you have? ESO is very CPU dependent and you might get more out of a CPU upgrade.

Exactly
  • N3CR01
    N3CR01
    ✭✭✭✭
    Newer and more powerful CPU and more Ram would make more difference than a new GPU.
    Edited by N3CR01 on August 25, 2021 5:28PM
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2gb gpu is enough for eso if you have low budget.

tbh a cpu is more important, a almost 4ghz i5 or 3.5+ i7 is pretty good,. if you can't swap cpu get a 3-4gb graphs card

and tbh don't bother playing with shadows on max, like...ever.
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be honest I have been able to run eso with everything from an rx580 to a 2070 super. So really most gpus you can find at any decent price will work

Yep. My RX480 4GB with my old i3-6100 was managing a bit above 60fps in 1080p. With a CPU upgrade (5600x) it can get well over 100fps in 1440p and is playable in 4K (over 30fps will most features on or 60fps with some of the more expensive features turned off). I would expect that as a minimum for any newer GPU — otherwise it’s the CPU that could use the upgrade.
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can overclock your CPU by increasing bus speed (CPU frequency is bus speed * multiplier, which is fixed at 27 for your CPU, while bus speed can be changed). Just make sure to replace stock cooler with a tower cooler.
    The highest overclock for this CPU i've seen is 4.6 ghz, but it wont be stable for gaming. Try something like 3.6-3.8 Ghz, you will need to set bus speed at 133 mhz (3.6 GHz) or 140 mhz (3.8 Ghz). For CPU core voltage don't go over 1.3 volts, higher volts cause faster degradation. If your overclock is unstable - reduce bus speed.

For GPU go here: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com , find your GPU and decide how much performance increase you want, get a list of GPUs with that performance and see which of them you can buy.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd think more about another 8MB of RAM and turning on the new parallel rendering options first, at least if you are only running 1080p. Also check with some performance tools first - I'd take a fair bet that ESO is CPU not GPU bound on that setup especially in busy locations.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all for your comments.
    Alendrin wrote: »
    What GPU do you have? (...)
    The GPU that I still have is a potato, it's not dedicated to gaming, because back then when I bought the pc I was thinking about work only.