The maintenance is complete and the PTS is now back online. The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test!
The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Please add Very Very Very Infrequent option to companion settings.

EF321
EF321
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I've set option from normal to infrequent within one hour of unlocking companion. Now that I have both keepsakes unlocked, I'm really sick of their repetitive and irrelevant commentaries.
Please let us make them almost completely silent unless we speak to them.
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alternativly.....just don't use them?
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    notyuu wrote: »
    Alternativly.....just don't use them?

How is that a solution to feature I paid for being extremely annoying? I want to use them, they are meant to help you, not to annoy you.

Purple (and any other) companion things won't drop when they are not active and their armor/weapon skill lines won't improve.

This is a suggestion on par with "Uninstall".
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agree, I've submitted several /feedback in-game on this point.

They don't have enough lines recorded to warrant frequent quips.

If I could look forward to hearing something new or funny every now and again it would be a completely different scenario.

But even maxed rapport, I hear the same 2 phrases constantly from Mirri any time I mount or harvest.

I do want to use them. I just don't want to hear them so much when they really have nothing to say.

Without a 'super duper infrequent' option, as soon as I max Mirri and get the memento she's going into cold storage. Except for solo questing on my tanks.
    PC NA
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do not see why there is no option to just shut them up unless we talk to them

This is not Nick Valentine here, it’s a bland npc that spouts one of three random lines until you either play with the sound of or switch them off, why in the name of sanity is there no button labelled - please, shut up!
  • Serenez
    Serenez
    ✭✭✭
    For the most part I do enjoy listening to the companions although at some points they talk over NPC quest dialogue which makes it difficult to hear the quest NPC.

There are many reasons why a person may not wish to hear them talk so I may propose an option for 'silent' where you put them on mute. This would resolve the issue for those that just do not wish to 'listen' to them, however wish to keep playing with them. For those that do like the frequent dialogue, is there an option on the backend to code where the Companion recognizes you are in a quest or have an NPC with you, and recognizes when the NPCs are interacting with you? No matter how many times I tell him to 'Hush! I cannot hear my quest!' .. I do not think he hears me lol.

For Bastian though I do like he points out heavy sacks and psijic portals to me :)
  • Alphawolf01A
    Alphawolf01A
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Companions need a "STHU,UII" setting. (Shut the heck up, unless it's important)

Yes Bastion, it is weird that you won't shut up about how much you love cities.

Yes Mirri, I know it will fetch a fair fetching price, and NO, picking a flower is not a great haul.

And I don't need combat advice from "people" who "stand in stupid" till dead.

But hey, That's just me. LOL!!
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes Mirri, I know it will fetch a fair fetching price, and NO, picking a flower is not a great haul.

Columbines say hi
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JobooAGS wrote: »

Columbines say hi

But all those comments regarding one rekuta in runestone or killing a single mudcrab... OMG ARE YOU HURT?
    Player: Is no CC'd
    Companion: TRY BREAKING FREE!!!

It's obvious that ZOS developers don't play as much as some no-lifers, like myself, so they might not see the problem...

I would agree to turn companions off completely, as long as companion gear would continue to drop without them being out. But as long as they are required to get drops of that pricey purple gear, please copy-paste that bit of code in settings and tweak probability number or however it is implemented.

I can't imagine how adding this can be a challenge, since functionality is already there, I am not asking to revamp entire overland/dungeon finder/pvp or whatever, like many posts on these forums.
  • Alphawolf01A
    Alphawolf01A
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind having them along for the ride in order to get gear.

I don't mind their limited usefulness, since most of my toons are fairly self sufficient.

I have unlocked both companions on 16 characters and have a companion active while playing any toon at any given time, and I have only found 3 pieces of purple gear and only 1 was useful as far as "right weight, right trait". Both of my companions have half blue, half green gear in order to maintain the "right weight, right trait", The drop rate really needs to be addressed or companion gear needs to be added to more sources like chests and quest rewards.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't mind having them along for the ride in order to get gear.
    The drop rate really needs to be addressed or companion gear needs to be added to more sources like chests and quest rewards.

I also have never gotten a purple, but I'm inundated with greens and every couple days get blues.

So if they raise the purple rate while lowering all the rest I'd be happy.
    PC NA
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need options for "mute" and "very very infrequent."
  • afia2000
    afia2000
    Bastian straight up embarrasses my uh character in game with his untimely comments. We killed some bugs and Bastian was all 'They made their choices' (dude, what?) or 'Sheathe your weapons the battle is won', when I can clearly see a new round of mobs coming out of the psijic portal ready to pounce on us and oh, good lord don't let me have to make another firsthold fruit and cheese for a daily writ so he can wax on about how cheese is bad for you and where it comes from and knock our rapport score down.

TBH I'd give anything for Bastian to have half the personality my unseen miner/outfitter/ lumberjack hirelings have for his comments. I wish he were more balanced on the evil/boy scout spectrum too. In short, I hope they're still working on getting the companions to evolve in their interactions.
  • SirLeeMinion
    SirLeeMinion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. I'd like a "Don't say anything; ever." option. I switched to "infrequent" within 1/2 hour and periodically find myself checking back to see if it really is set to infrequent. Alternatively, if "Shut up" isn't an option, "Say each unique dialogue once, and never repeat the comment" would be nice.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's funny how in EVERY topic about companions talking frequency there are comments like "don't use them" :D

We want companions. Personally I love this feature but only thing is major flow for me and many other people - is this awful frequency of talking. Infrequent is not infrequent at all, because they are talking almost all the time in almost every occasion and what's worst - it's so incredible repeatable. Bastian is the worst here, because he have his philosophical, Paulo Cohello style lines and too much Huzzah in simple routines. I don't mind to listen all this crap, but not with this frequency. 5% of infrequent option should be good enough. I can hear comments about cities once a week, not 10 times a day.

Also from point of view, companions are annoying because of being too emotional - you just trash some random mobs and they are so serious and emotional, screams some things when I only play with mudcrabs, this too cringy. I hope that next companions will be more mature and calm.
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • sentientomega
    sentientomega
    ✭✭✭
    Swtor veteran, I don't mind their talking. :p

What I think we need are some generic crown store companions, a bit like the animals and droids you can buy on swtor's cartel market. Like some elementals, creatures, generic mercenaries, other Daedra, Dwemer constructs, something like that.
  • Gandalf_72
    Gandalf_72
    ✭✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »
    I've set option from normal to infrequent within one hour of unlocking companion. Now that I have both keepsakes unlocked, I'm really sick of their repetitive and irrelevant commentaries.
    Please let us make them almost completely silent unless we speak to them.
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    They need options for "mute" and "very very infrequent."

I strongly agree
    PC | EU
  • Gandalf_72
    Gandalf_72
    ✭✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »

But all those comments regarding one rekuta in runestone or killing a single mudcrab... OMG ARE YOU HURT?
    Player: Is no CC'd
    Companion: TRY BREAKING FREE!!!

ROTFL :):):):):D:D:D:D
    PC | EU
  • Gandalf_72
    Gandalf_72
    ✭✭✭
    :s:# For now, the only viable solution I've come up with has been to set the volume level of the dialogue to zero when I'm walking around with a companion :s:#

rkhsptv0dgvi.png
    PC | EU