Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templars PvP - Detailed Guide, Suggestions, Advice, etc. - Elsweyr

• gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Amerises wrote: »
    shrekt4303 wrote: »
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    Right: thank you all for sharing ideas.
    I'm thinking about using Deadly + Sithis or Wild Hunt and 2H Vate....what would you use as your second set? Really really undecided!

Heartland Conqueror?

If you really want to use bow the backbar should have a source of major evasion. Rune focus and extended ritual as well and maybe a rally if you cant fit it on your frontbar. Leaves you with limited options of which i think poison injection and light attack weaving will be the most consistent. Thats why i recommend sheer venom to capitilize on the dots so it can be added to your burst when you go to frontbar. I recommend 2h maul with sharpened and stampede. Stampede has a good chance to proc poisons. Also have jabs and rally/foward momentum and the rest is personal taste. Personally i dont use Potl and just have camo hunter and repentance w/ javelin on the backbar.

Heartland conqueror and sheer venom are not very good compared to other sets.

With Heartland, 3k penetration is easy to come by on other full 5 piece sets, same with 7.2 crit or 4k armor. Sheer venom you need to use an execute, and jabs is just too good not to use; it heals and does massive damage (don't forget if you land all 4 strikes, you proc a a large damage proc too!).

If you're going stampede (which is a great idea), you don't need poison injection because a guaranteed crit strike, a leap, a large chance to proc poisons, hemorrhage, a bleed (if using unleashed or vma), and a ground aoe dot, is just way better.

Major evasion is huge, which is why duel wield is so much better on the back, plus with quick cloak you get major expedition, and 6% mitigation/damage bonuses if you use brp weapon.

Anyone worth fighting for more than a stampede and jab will purge your poison injection after dodge rolling your stampede.
    ***A tip, if you get hit with an arrow in pvp, practice rolling and purging right away.

All this to say, do what you want, I dont normally help non-guildies/alliances because I don't want to help my opponents, but you have A LOT more potential with a better set up.

1) biting jabs doesn't heal. Only puncturing sweeps does
    2) heartland conqueror is an excellent set.
    3) yes, sheer venom isn't the best set these days
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • shrekt4303
    shrekt4303
    ✭✭
    I could see maybe backbaring a precise bow with heartland for the crit heals. You can prob drop defending backbar with the battlespirit changes. Could also dw daggers on backbar.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Heartland buffs both front and back bar weapon traits (depending how you set it up). I think the most popular combination is sharpened front bar and powered back bar, which essentially gives us the spinner's 5 piece bonus front bar (close to it) and increases our healing back bar by 9% for a total of 18% (sort of like the sanctuary 5 piece bonus I guess). Having access to both at the same time is what seals the deal.

Other percent increases should fare pretty well too, precise and nirnhoned for example. It's like the improved version of twice-born star in a way.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are solo or small scale magplars running this or next patch? Just came back to the game and the new armor passives are really odd. 5 1 1 still the way to go? I was thinking it's hard to go wrong with amberplasm and stuhns or something but not sure with all these new sets.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I will be running 1 heavy 3 light 3 medium. I havent figured out an exact setup, but I will be stacking spell damage on everything, getting sustain from food. With this armor setup I have 42% increase to spell damage, and purifying light scales from spell damage now, as well as living dark scaling from spell damage.

I'll most likely use burning spellweave, heartlands, torc for stam sustain or maybe wild hunt for speed. I'll have to try both.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Video of my non-cp/BG build (which I've mentioned several times in this thread)

Next patch things may get a bit weird. Will likely run 5 medium for the spell damage boost (passives are changed) and so I can get Major Evasion (Shuffle) without needing to use dual wield -- though that's still an option.

Some interesting new sets being added, may or may not jump on those. If I use Heartland Conqueror still I might craft it in medium and pair it with Buffer of the Swift and focus on percent damage reductions rather than stacking armor. I think people will be playing less tanky in general but no reason to just go glass cannon either.

It will be easier to stack spell damage on Magplar with the changes to medium armor passives (agility) and the balanced warrior passive.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    I will be running 1 heavy 3 light 3 medium. I havent figured out an exact setup, but I will be stacking spell damage on everything, getting sustain from food. With this armor setup I have 42% increase to spell damage, and purifying light scales from spell damage now, as well as living dark scaling from spell damage.

I'll most likely use burning spellweave, heartlands, torc for stam sustain or maybe wild hunt for speed. I'll have to try both.

I think you were in the other thread on the pts, but backlash is garbage again. They nerfed it and didn't say anything.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamplar feel garbage still ,healing still not exist. Staying in place to heal is bad system.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been gone most of the year, what’s new and exciting in magplar?
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »

Welcome back. Magplar is very strong right now with stuhns and heartland conqueror or stuhns and pariah, etc. Toppling into crescent into sweeps is absolutely melting people.
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamplar require skill similiar to old Rally where you get heal over time every second you can move with it, now rally is to slow you need wait 20sec to get heal especially this is one of 2 possible stamplar healing i not count ritual as healing and rune because they require to stay in place this means to get killed most of the time.

Vigor is good its not burst heal ,where is class stamina rushed ceremony or something.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back. Magplar is very strong right now with stuhns and heartland conqueror or stuhns and pariah, etc. Toppling into crescent into sweeps is absolutely melting people.

I was doing fine in my support set up last night, but felt transmutation isn’t ideal anymore, Crit looks low. And everyone’s over 30k hp. Any recent changes to skills and their usability? Changes to solar shield and rune are all I really noticed.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ppl still running 5 light? Hard to get 30k hp in light without dedicating a ton into health.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I was doing fine in my support set up last night, but felt transmutation isn’t ideal anymore, Crit looks low. And everyone’s over 30k hp. Any recent changes to skills and their usability? Changes to solar shield and rune are all I really noticed.

Pariah earthgore and hist sap/gossmer/spc is pretty darn good on support magplar.
    Ppl still running 5 light? Hard to get 30k hp in light without dedicating a ton into health.

I use 5 light on my magplar, but many use 5 heavy.
    I put 20 points into hp so I have around 28-30k hp.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Pariah earthgore and hist sap/gossmer/spc is pretty darn good on support magplar.

I’m in trans/winters respite both back barred with snb, masters front. Still doing fine killing and the support is great but at this point I’m generally solo. Gonna be looking for 2 new bar-able sets to run with masters ice. So nothings really too new huh? That sithis helm looks so broken for a shield, did the solar shield rework do anything worth while?
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I’m in trans/winters respite both back barred with snb, masters front. Still doing fine killing and the support is great but at this point I’m generally solo. Gonna be looking for 2 new bar-able sets to run with masters ice. So nothings really too new huh? That sithis helm looks so broken for a shield, did the solar shield rework do anything worth while?

Yeah they halved winters respite. Templar gets bonus block, so I wouldn't use sithis with it.
    They made changes to resto staff blocking, so ice + resto is going to be really really nice for support style/solo.
    Umm some people use blazing shield, still kinda meh. Bubble changes are pretty decent.
  • eol
    eol
    ✭✭✭
    I have been gone from the game for a year. Could someone please summarize the changes to magplar that people think strengthened it, or point me to a place that summarizes the changes? When I took a break, a balanced or damage build for a magplar in pvp was very weak. I looked up some posted magplar builds on the web and they dont seem much different than months ago - the builds all seem to focus on toppling charge/sweeps/crescent sweep. So what caused the change?
    Edited by eol on August 21, 2021 5:41PM
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah they halved winters respite. Templar gets bonus block, so I wouldn't use sithis with it.
    They made changes to resto staff blocking, so ice + resto is going to be really really nice for support style/solo.
    Umm some people use blazing shield, still kinda meh. Bubble changes are pretty decent.

I thought it used to be every second! I was wondering why liked it so much before, seemed average when I logged in this week. Good heads up!
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are some good, new, bar-able sets these days?
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good talk
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    eol wrote: »
    I have been gone from the game for a year. Could someone please summarize the changes to magplar that people think strengthened it, or point me to a place that summarizes the changes? When I took a break, a balanced or damage build for a magplar in pvp was very weak. I looked up some posted magplar builds on the web and they dont seem much different than months ago - the builds all seem to focus on toppling charge/sweeps/crescent sweep. So what caused the change?

We got 1k extra wd and sd. Templars scale well with that.
    Melee weapons work for mag now too, with la and crit scaling as well as passives.
    Templar passive gives wd and sd now.
    Backlash got buffed.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What are some good, new, bar-able sets these days?

Clever alch, spell power cure, lich, stuhns, new moon, armor master, sprigg/spinners
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    New backslash is ok but still its hard to deal damage if you can't defense self. Another patch without any defense skill for templar living dark is bad compared to Shimmering Shield or Arctic Blast.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mmtaniac wrote: »
    New backslash is ok but still its hard to deal damage if you can't defense self. Another patch without any defense skill for templar living dark is bad compared to Shimmering Shield or Arctic Blast.

Use bubble, extended ritual and stand in rune with a good hp pool and/or high wd/sd
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New patch same question: how are we doing fellow Templars? Any luck with the new sets everyone is raving about?

What are you guys using on your plars?
  • MalakithAlamahdi
    MalakithAlamahdi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New patch same question: how are we doing fellow Templars? Any luck with the new sets everyone is raving about?

I'm having good succes right now with Pariah, Balorgh & Stuhns.
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really playing Magplar atm, but still dabble from time to time and update builds when necessary. Got a new one here, nothing special:

Hrothgar 2h frontbar, Hist Sap, Vateshran destro backbar, Gaze of Sithis, 1pc monster/trainee.

Undecided if Sithis is worth it on a Templar, you need good HoT to make it worth using (imo). Miss my S&B backbar :'(
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

On my stamplar: heartland conq + shield-breaker front bar + mala + trainee + potentates ice back bar in no proc. Swap the potentates for vate ice for proc if you like.

No proc feels so so so good. I've played a bunch in bgs and in cp ic over the event with members from our bg guild and the hc and dc proc sets are sooo annoying. In some cases there is pretty much nothing to do to avoid them. Necro smash with dc pulls you in and stuns from range at such cheesy timing. Another player with a dc on negate thrown at exactly the same time as the smash...it is impossible to survive. Just insane, lol.

Probably can't go wrong with stuhns fb, defensive set like ironblood or buffer of swift back bar, balorgh, trainee, mala.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What front bar sets for the next patch on your magplar: I’ve already shelved Hrotgar and Mech Acuity will follow. Never liked Clever Alch and can’t afford NMA’s resource cost due being a vamp!!!

Any ideas? I need a change from Pariah + Heartland + Malacath
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on October 17, 2021 10:58PM
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I havnt played for a few months, but when it re installs il be using deadric + malacath + 1 trainee + spinners/heartlands + monster set
    Resto on back,
    2H or DW on front
    Stage 3 vamp
    Edited by Syiccal on October 24, 2021 5:06PM