The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

new player warning and old alike

WuChiWuGen
WuChiWuGen
✭✭✭
You can buy a crafting motif 5000 crown's on one character and use it on all characters in an outfit station.
It will not show as owned by other characters and you can buy it again even though it's unlocked at an outfit station.
You can lose big money this way.
  • oterWitz
    oterWitz
    ✭✭✭✭
    True, and buying any motif books through the crown store is more expensive than buying all or the chapters from the guild traders with gold. Even if you get the gold by selling crown: 5k crowns at 700:1 (TCE's current rate) = 3.5 million gold, which is more than enough for even the newest, most expensive motifs.

Basically, buying motifs on the crown store comes with a very steep convenience fee, and all motifs and styles are always unlocked on your whole account at an outfit station.

Edit for clarity.
    Edited by oterWitz on August 2, 2021 6:45AM
    PC NA
  • Nomadic_Atmoran
    Nomadic_Atmoran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The motif allows you to craft armor in that style. It is only usable once on a character and for another character to learn that same style of armor another motif page/book must be consumed on said character. Once a character learns that motif a outfit version of the motif is unlocked for the account as a whole.

If you are worried about spending money on motifs. Aside from a few motifs that are Crown Store exclusive, you can purchase the motif pages at Guild Traders.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry - Laerinel Rhaev - Enrerion - Caius Berilius - Seylina Ithvala - Signa Squallrider - H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Yynril Rothvani - Tenarei Rhaev - Bathes-In-Coin - Dazsh Ro Khar - Aredyhel - Reads-To-Frogs - Azjani Ma'Les
    Kheshna gra-Gharbuk - Gallisten Bondurant - Aban Shahid Bakr - Etain Maquier - Atsu Kalame - Faulpia Severinus
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am only about 4 months on PC - and legit knew all motifs on XBOX NA up to Wayward Guardian (in-game + Tsaesci + Frostcaster + Grim Harlequin + BGs) - but the Crowns:Gold ratio on PC is ludicrous!

Gold to Crown on XBOX NA is 75-90 per!!!

I have 10+ Mil Gold PCNA - but I would NEVER pay the unnecessarily-inflated prices on traders.

People just look at TTC - and then price their items the same - and their items just SIT THERE taking up precious trader slots for the entire 30 days. Whyyyyy?

On XBOX - I would always scale my motif page prices against the 5000 Crown x 75-90 divided by 14 = around 28k… MAX per page… or else I would just buy the entire Motif for Gold.

Even during this event - ask yourself… “if EVERYONE is selling 80 Shield Of Senchal pages for 10k plus - and NOT selling… is it REALLY worth that?”

Answer: heck no!

Get smarter, PC. Oof.

S.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WuChiWuGen wrote: »
    You can buy a crafting motif 5000 crown's on one character and use it on all characters in an outfit station.
    It will not show as owned by other characters and you can buy it again even though it's unlocked at an outfit station.

Or you could but it with gold for cheaper. Buying motifs from the crown store is usually closer to a scam than a service.
    Edited by zvavi on August 2, 2021 9:06AM
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only motifs I ever buy off the crown store are those that don't exist as in-game collectibles and are 2k or below. Tsaesci for example was like 1500 crowns I think and you can't get that as in-game collections. Other than stuff like that, its only a matter of time for me to get any crafting pages via guild traders, I do set my limit to 100,000 gold. I have about 85% of all crafting motif/pages filled out already on my main crafter.

Edit: Also during Anniversary weeks, go through daily quest hell on 18 characters to maximize your pages gained, its worth the wait. You can sell your extras or buy what you're missing for dirt cheap the following months when everyone is trying to unload their excess.
    Edited by phaneub17_ESO on August 2, 2021 9:04AM
  • aaisoaho
    aaisoaho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oterWitz wrote: »
    True, and buying any motif books through the crown store is more expensive than buying all or the chapters from the guild traders with gold. Even if you get the gold by selling crown: 5k crowns at 700:1 (TCE's current rate) = 3.5 million gold, which is more than enough for even the newest, most expensive motifs.

Basically, buying motifs on the crown store comes with a very steep convenience fee, and all motifs and styles are always unlocked on your whole account at an outfit station.

Edit for clarity.

And the convenience cost on PCEU is just insane. The rate is around 1,250:1 (Crown Exchange, in Black Market the price can be near 1,800:1).
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the reasons I have one character as my designated crafter: that way I only have to worry about which motifs he knows.

Not that I'd buy them from the crown store, because as other people have said it's a complete rip-off compared to buying or finding them in the game, but even then it makes it much easier to keep track of what I've got and what I'm missing when it's all on one character. (And it means I only need 1 copy of each motif.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real warning should be: Don't buy motifs from the crown store that you can get in game.
    The Moot Councillor
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    perhaps this is a lesson to learn the ins and outs of the game before throwing money at it
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    WuChiWuGen wrote: »

um...this is why having one dedicated crafter is a good thing. Make sure that ONLY the dedicated crafter learns MOTIFS. Once your dedicated crafter learns a motif, any alt can use it at an OUTFIT station. Unless you are 1000% sure you don't have a motif learned on your dedicated crafter, you shouldn't buy it from the guild trader OR the crown store.
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    The real warning should be: Don't buy motifs from the crown store that you can get in game.

If you aren't careful, this can happen with motifs you're buying from other players at the guild traders. It isn't only the crown store.

• SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They should not sell crafting motifs on the store. I bought a few when I first started playing not knowing how the game works.
    PC NA
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Crown crafting motifs are predatory against new players.
    PC NA