Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

DK's, who uses empowering chains?

ke.sardenb14_ESO
ke.sardenb14_ESO
✭✭✭
I was looking over abilities and realized that in my 6 years playing eso, I've never seen anyone use this. So out of curiosity I wanted to know see if maybe this skill needs a rework for something useful.

DK's, who uses empowering chains? 48 votes

Yes
29% 14 votes
No
70% 34 votes
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use it on my heavy attack build. But I prefer toppling charge on my templar.
    Because I can!
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seen in used a handful of times since released. Tried to use it a few times but it felt weird to use. Plus the Major Expedition on a gap closer always seem wrong to me. Would much better to Major Expedition on wings instead.

Stay safe and ZOS please fix the green tree.
  • MrMazurski
    MrMazurski
    ✭✭✭
    This is the morph that was changing the direction of action from pull enemy to you, to pull you to the enemy. Yeah, Empower for 3 seconds dont sound great and don't increase your dps too much
    Unrelenting Grip its just better. Especially If the target cannot be pulled, you restore 100% of the ability's cost as Magicka.
    empowering chains its like charge/jump skill with very bad animation, when powerfull of this skill it is more useful if you pull enemies from the group to the death zone than to pull yourself to the opponents...
    - Where "Update on Cyrodiil Performance & Upcoming AOE Tests"? I wish ZOS would stop kicking players' balls, especially those on Cyro
    - - PC-EU / Ravenwatch
  • GetAgrippa
    GetAgrippa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use it in pvp. It keeps me on my target and it helps me buff molten whip. I love chasing sorcs with it too. I think it's a hugely underrated skill in pvp.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used it on my MagDK dual wield build in PvP for a while. It's a fun and good gap closer—it doesn't put the target on crowd control cooldown, unlike the other morph, so you can stun them only when you're ready to. It's also undodgeable, which is a nice buff against rolie polies. Plus, it charges up Molten Whip if you're using it, like I was.

Not sure if there are heavy attack shenanigans you can pull off with it.

The Empower on it is fine, but it could be made longer than 3 seconds or replaced with something more helpful, like Major Evasion. A defensive buff would really help it as a gap closer IMO, and make it useful for mag and stam players in PvP.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use it on both of my DK Tanks. PVE. I've used it in PVP as well just as in PVE by pulling an enemy to me then locking them down with claws. LOL
  • Icy_Nelyan
    Icy_Nelyan
    ✭✭✭
    Use It a lot in pvp, It works like a charm against blinking Sorcerer, empower and expedition are two very welcome buff
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's great, in theory. Unfortunately, it has a double travel time (first the chain has to travel to your target, then it pulls you to the target), which makes it super clunky. If they fixed the travel time to make it work like other gap closers, I would probably use it a lot, but I don't use it at all as-is.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the pull version, but I used to use Empowering Chains a while ago. Made for a way to keep up with Streak Sorcs, but the double travel time mentioned above made it a little unwieldy against fast targets.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP, with Eye of Flame and Elf Bane. If you pull them to you, they're on a cooldown, but there's no cooldown to pull yourself to them.

8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2200CP
  • Arbiter7070
    Arbiter7070
    ✭✭✭
    I used it on my MagDK dual wield build in PvP for a while. It's a fun and good gap closer—it doesn't put the target on crowd control cooldown, unlike the other morph, so you can stun them only when you're ready to. It's also undodgeable, which is a nice buff against rolie polies. Plus, it charges up Molten Whip if you're using it, like I was.

Not sure if there are heavy attack shenanigans you can pull off with it.

The Empower on it is fine, but it could be made longer than 3 seconds or replaced with something more helpful, like Major Evasion. A defensive buff would really help it as a gap closer IMO, and make it useful for mag and stam players in PvP.

Putting major evasion on that is a really good idea! If we could get major evasion on the chain I think it would definitely entice MagDK’s to start running it

• Spurius_Lucilius
    Spurius_Lucilius
    ✭✭✭
    I looked at the tooltip and I said “This looks great, you get empower and major expedition, so after you gap close you can both do more damage and catch up enemy player more easily with that speed.”

Then I tried to use it in BG, but I got the leap bug and can’t use it as well.
    I went out to Cyrodiil and tried it. I realized that it is one of the slower gap closer. It works a lot like warden’s healing gapcloser. The chain has travel time and it won’t pull you to the target if LOS breaks.
    That’s why few people use it.
    PC NA Casual/PVP
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On both, m & s (stam is running in Undaunted ;p )
    Edited by Ippokrates on July 17, 2021 7:45PM
  • gamma71
    gamma71
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only people using empowering chains are the same bads that use stone flop. For pvp .
    Edited by gamma71 on July 17, 2021 11:42PM
  • Miloscpolski
    Miloscpolski
    ✭✭✭
    a lot of skills of magdk MUST be reworked - feary grip, obsidian shard, deep breath etc but zos dont care about magdk, they love necros, wardens, plars, idn why zos so much hate magdk
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use it in PvP. You kinda need a gap closer as a mag DK in PvP since your toolkit is melee, and DK doesn't have much built-in mobility. And the one that pulls an enemy to you grants them CC immunity, so you can't fossilize them or pull them again (e.g., if they're a sorc trying to escape).

It has zero uses in PvE, though. I see it as a purely PvP morph.
    Edited by code65536 on July 19, 2021 11:14AM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The fundamental problem with chains is that either I've pulled you to me, and that has to put you off balance coz you weren't expecting it, BOFF. Or I've just pulled myself across to you, and that has to put you off balance coz I've just slammed into you BOFF.

Either way, you should be lined up for a couple of whips!!

But no, I get major expedition, so I can run away after having just closed the gap with my stand and fight character. FAIL

And for the morphs I get a magica refund on any boss (always invulnerable to chains) , or empower for a light or heavy attack increase, big wups.

But without it my "get in yer face and fight it out" character loses its only class gap closer. SAD

And in any case it loses out to the Templar's toppling plus jabs combo, which has off balance, a possible stun, a snare and an AOE attack! EVEN SADDER
  • ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback so far. I was wondering what is not use, and wondering what could be changed to improve the DK experience. I main stamDK in PvE, with some PvP, so I wanted to see where people landed.
    Personally I wouldn't mind the DK having a play style that makes them "the hard to get away from class", but I see how e.chain could help, especially if you are mag.
  • xHotguy6pack
    xHotguy6pack
    ✭✭✭
    I use to use it in cyrodiil from time to time. It's good to get off a cheeky Burst on someone who is running away or not expecting to get full combed in 5 seconds. You would buff yourself up to get your searing fury stacks and use the molten whip morph and chain yourself then leap and whip. It's pretty fun actually. The chains themselves do pretty good damage also.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use to use it in cyrodiil from time to time. It's good to get off a cheeky Burst on someone who is running away or not expecting to get full combed in 5 seconds. You would buff yourself up to get your searing fury stacks and use the molten whip morph and chain yourself then leap and whip. It's pretty fun actually. The chains themselves do pretty good damage also.

That's the good move. It is a shame that in IC Empowering Grasp doesn't work :(
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I used it once on a heavy attack build on a dk but other than that nah not really. Prefer my templar for heavy attack stuff.