The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Lower the damage of AoE significantly and increase costs of AoE abilities

Lexander
Lexander
Thats how to fix the issue with AoE spamming without resourcing to hated and poorly-designed decisions such as AoE caps while remaining more or less original and not copying the failures of other games.

How AoE should look like:

aoe.png

How AoE should NOT look like:

impulse.png

On these screenshots are skill stats of VR3 nightblade with equally distributed stats into magicka and stamina, also dual wielding so the Volley damage would be even lower if I had a bow

Note that Impulse once maxed and morphed grows even more powerful than other abilities.

Oh and if this gets attention, fix the vamps finally, too. Its not serious when you are automatically out of competition if you dont want to be a bloodsucker.
Edited by Lexander on April 27, 2014 7:39PM
  • firestorm_rmb16_ESO
    firestorm_rmb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    So your logic to fixing AOE abilities dealing moderate damage, to multiple targets, is to NOT punish stupid players from bunching up and getting destroyed for standing still, but to punish those who use those moderate damage dealing AOE abilities?

You good sir are the problem with modern day gamers. You want far too much for nothing ventured. Get some skill and level up a bit, try actually dodging. And just for the record, doubly punishing players by increasing spell cost while also reducing damage is why your post will be, for the most part, completely ignored, if not outright blocked from view by most peoples accounts.
  • Lexander
    Lexander
    so what do you suggest is keeping the current concept of AoE which removes any decision-making behind it and leaving only mindless spam of single button rarely alternating with some defensive buffs or roots

im a solo player and i dont run with zergs unless im forced, yet i can see from a mile away what the problem is with aoe in this game when it costs and deals the same damage as single target skills

skilled play is when u focus on key targets in the enemy zergs such as healers or glass cannon dps and take them out with CC or high damage abilities, not when you run inside them spamming root and aoe killing everything, in any real game such tactic would leave you being suicidal clowns

also im playing mmorpg for far longer than you even know of them, son
    Edited by Lexander on April 27, 2014 6:48PM
  • ruzlb16_ESO
    ruzlb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    So your logic to fixing AOE abilities dealing moderate damage, to multiple targets, is to NOT punish stupid players from bunching up and getting destroyed for standing still, but to punish those who use those moderate damage dealing AOE abilities?

You good sir are the problem with modern day gamers. You want far too much for nothing ventured. Get some skill and level up a bit, try actually dodging. And just for the record, doubly punishing players by increasing spell cost while also reducing damage is why your post will be, for the most part, completely ignored, if not outright blocked from view by most peoples accounts.

I think that's uncalled for, and furthermore is just flame bait. AOE is probably a bit overpowered currently. Some AOEs do equal to or more damage than equivalent single-target abilities, which makes those single target abilities effectively pointless.

I don't think AOE should be both made more expensive and have it's damage nerfed, but I wouldn't necessarily disagree with one measure or the other being implemented. Some AOEs are fine - DW's whirlwind, or the sorc lightning barrage, for example. Others, like Impulse, basically render ST alternatives pointless, and so probably do need looking at.
  • monkeymystic
    monkeymystic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a really stupid suggestion... Most AoE abilities are very expensive and have limited damage already, the problem is a few abilities, vampire ultimate bat swarm and pulsar (destro staff) are too good at the moment. Vampire bat swarm has a bugged passive that makes it cost almost nothing at all, and Pulsar is just plain OP (13% health reduction) at a very low spellcost.

The other problem is that players have yet to learn that they should stay out of AoE when its on the ground, and that you can dodge out of roots very easily. When people starts to get better understanding of abilities, how to use dodge, CC break and block, this will not be a problem anymore.
    Edited by monkeymystic on April 27, 2014 6:55PM
  • ruzlb16_ESO
    ruzlb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    and that you can dodge out of roots very easily.

This in particular - I've lost count of the number of times people complaining about Bat Swarm have cited the fact that they were rooted as evidence for being unable to save themselves. The game doesn't exactly flag up that you can break roots and snares very well atm.
  • Lexander
    Lexander
    Should I really explain that Im only speaking of broken AoE like Impulse, DK Talons etc which are being the problem right now? That Im not speaking of walking jokes of a skill such as Volley and Whirlwind?

sure np, gonna edit the first post
  • Lexander
    Lexander
    edited, compare damage and costs of other AoE skills with Impulse
  • prana33b14_ESO
    prana33b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Lexander wrote: »

skilled play is when u focus on key targets in the enemy zergs such as healers or glass cannon dps and take them out with CC or high damage abilities,

So how do you focus healers standing in the middle of 50+ people in this game?

gotabadassoverhere.jpg

• Lexander
    Lexander

skilled play is when u focus on key targets in the enemy zergs such as healers or glass cannon dps and take them out with CC or high damage abilities,

So how do you focus healers standing in the middle of 50+ people in this game?

gotabadassoverhere.jpg

after we're done nerfing the hell out of broken AoE skills we could buff some single-target abilities which should help to burst down key targets

if u are just saying that you are unable to target a specific character in a group of enemies then i feel sorry for u, maybe AoE wont be nerfed too hard so u can stay a single-button impulse badass
  • prana33b14_ESO
    prana33b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Haha. I haven't even gotten to pvp other than in betas yet there mr. insult lobber. I'm asking how a group focus fires a healer hiding in a mob of 50 players. You know, smaller groups taking out bigger groups and stuff. If it's so easy, you might want to jump in the other thread going on and answer it as it's been asked like 50 times and no AOE cap proponents can't seem to address it or are just ignoring it for some reason. I'll wait for an explanation, or more insults I guess.
    Edited by prana33b14_ESO on April 27, 2014 7:30PM
  • Lexander
    Lexander
    Haha. I haven't even gotten to pvp other than in betas yet there mr. insult lobber. I'm asking how a group focus fires a healer hiding in a mob of 50 players. You know, smaller groups taking out bigger groups and stuff. I'll wait for an explanation, or more insults I guess.

if you feel insulted i should apologize then i guess, but internet is tough stuff, just so u know, mate

if u havent gotten to pvp i've no idea why i'd waste time explaining to you whats going on then, but sure i dont mind

if a group of players is as big as 50 then the nerfed but non-capped AoE should still do its job and be extremely effective in this case

the issue right now is that AoE is equally powerful if not superior to single-target abilities in a small scale pvp as well, 2 groups of 10 people would rather spam each other with Impulse to death than try to focus enemy healers or DPS using real abilities
  • prana33b14_ESO
    prana33b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    coolstorybro. That didn't answer my question. You're now avoiding it like the rubes in other thread?
  • Lexander
    Lexander
    coolstorybro. That didn't answer my question. You're now avoiding it like the rubes in other thread?
    if a group of players is as big as 50 then the nerfed but non-capped AoE should still do its job and be extremely effective in this case

your inability to make logical assumptions and follow up the idea of the sentence is growing weary on me, so plz find another thread to derail and spam with ur degradation, thx
  • prana33b14_ESO
    prana33b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    well. what a thread you've created. People ask questions, you insult them. :D

aoe has nothing to do with the question I asked. I asked how to focus fire people in this game standing behind a zerg. Your answer is AOE? EL OH EL.
    Edited by prana33b14_ESO on April 27, 2014 7:45PM
  • ruzlb16_ESO
    ruzlb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Um, he's not a cap proponent, so your question isn't really that relevant. He's suggesting that some of the AOE abilities are rather unbalanced compared to other AOE abilities - which they really are, when you look at the pictures in his OP. I don't really see how anything else is relevant.
    He's not suggesting that AOE should stop working against clumps. He's not forcing anyone to ST on a healer stood in the middle of 50 people, because a 50-man clump would still yield DPS over 5k if you halved the strength of impulse. He's suggesting that, if the healer is NOT stood in the middle of a group of 50 people, then maybe AOE should stop being the best tool for dealing with him, because ST skills should be.
    I don't think that is quite as crazy as you're trying to make out, Prana. As I said before, I think nerfing damage AND increasing cost is probably an overnerf, but one or the other might be sensible in the cases he's generally pointing at.
  • prana33b14_ESO
    prana33b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    OK. But his quote here is basically saying he thinks aoe shouldn't be used because bads use it.
    skilled play is when u focus on key targets in the enemy zergs such as healers or glass cannon dps and take them out with CC or high damage abilities, not when you run inside them spamming root and aoe killing everything, in any real game such tactic would leave you being suicidal clowns

and I asked how to focus key targets hiding behind or in enemy zergs in this game. Aoe was his answer.
    Edited by prana33b14_ESO on April 27, 2014 7:58PM