The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Questioning The Design of Certain Attacks

BlackCatOnline-
BlackCatOnline-
✭✭✭
Hello :smile:

I'll start by admitting yes I realize the following questions and or commentary is probably going to be class-biased. I love Nightblade. Anyways...

As a matter of speculation, I am merely curious why we don't have any attack animations that cause us to flip over an enemy in order to reposition. On a Nightblade for example, this would be really nice since the class is designed to be played as a sneaky assassin. Considering one has to look at one's opponent to cast a majority of skills perhaps such a feature would be too powerful? Someone running away? Just hit X to strike from behind, flip over them, and resume combo. Someone doing some serious damage to you? Counter with a flip attack! Then again how would this be any more advantageous than your usual stun? If spam abuse is a concern then a cooldown could easily fix that. Or the damage could be adjusted. Height distance might be an issue come to think of it. Unless the animation involved a double teleport perhaps. I don't know. Ambush anyone? 😅

Speaking of Ambush.. If there was an ultimate version of Ambush that could stun I'd sure appreciate that. Since Ambush as it is, is a bit clunky maybe an ultimate form to initiate combos would work more smoothly. Gap closer + Stun > Light Attack > Surprise Attack >Execute. Something like that?

Now let's move on to ballista. I had never used it before the other day and no offense to ZOS but that is one weird skill. The artwork for the skill looks awesome and then you get some peculiar, ugly yellowish bow spouting blasts in a manner reminiscent of the fart geysers in Jim Henson's Labyrinth. Rather if the animation were more like the artwork I imagine the skill would appear as a vertical angled orange magick summoning circle that would hover overhead from wherever you initially cast it and spew a linear stream, not unlike toxic barrage. Much more elegant in my opinion. Then again Crystal Weapon's animation is or at least was pretty cheesy looking...

Let it be noted that there's nothing necessarily wrong per se, regarding any of these abilities or how classes function. Again this is just my speculation on what could be effective and or fun as well as aesthetically pleasing. Apologies for any criticism. I know it takes a lot of creativity and hard work to produce and maintain gaming content. Between the programming, animation, storyboarding, level designs, and adding new content then having to patch older content because the fresh stuff somehow introduced bugs... There's a lot involved that some people may not recognize. Not that I'm an expert. I'm not.

So, what does everyone think? And thank you ZOS Team @ZOS_GinaBruno

This Rambling Is Brought To You By Black Cat Online...
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlackCat13 wrote: »

... I am merely curious why we don't have any attack animations that cause us to flip over an enemy in order to reposition. On a Nightblade for example, this would be really nice since the class is designed to be played as a sneaky assassin. Considering one has to look at one's opponent to cast a majority of skills perhaps such a feature would be too powerful? Someone running away? Just hit X to strike from behind, flip over them, and resume combo. Someone doing some serious damage to you? Counter with a flip attack ...

this part is already in the Game, the Nightblade NPC's perform that type of attack, i also have always wondered if one day the devs might allow us to have that attack to use in both pvp and pve would be really nice skill to have.

• Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    I concur,

and another ability I'd like to see is for warden actually:
    Greenshade's quest to rescue the Wilderking, you go underground to avoid the fire. Would be neat to have this sort of ability bring you behind enemies too. Before someone says that is broken: Vampires have the mistform.

On this subject, it would be similar but different to Sorcerer's Streak.
    Edited by Syrpynt on July 19, 2021 5:31AM
  • BlackCatOnline-
    BlackCatOnline-
    ✭✭✭
    Syrpynt wrote: »
    I concur,

Greenshade's quest to rescue the Wilderking, you go underground to avoid the fire. Would be neat to have this sort of ability bring you behind enemies too. Before someone says that is broken: Vampires have the mistform.

Ah a tunneling gap closer/ dash? Would be pretty cool 😎
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Syrpynt wrote: »
    I concur,

There's a delve in the reach in the eastern part of the map. Inside is a frost based falmer enemy who summons a frost tornado that stuns. That should be arctic blast, but instead of the tornado splitting into 4 after hitting a target, it should keep it's current aoe damage effect without the defensive stun.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX