The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Random fps drops

SirRageALot
Hello everybody

i got a problem that annoying me a little bit.
i keep getting random fps drops out of no where.. sometimes as low as 10fps
it drops from 60 to 10 in a sec and then rushes back up again. it makes the game feel stuttery,
Didn't have this problem in beta.. in beta i was playing on a steady 50-60 fps

my pc spec are

AMD FX-8350
Radeon HD 7950 vapor x oc edition
16gb of ram

thank you for your time
  • Amaylia
    Amaylia
    ✭✭
    I have the same problem. The game sometimes has "special moments", where the FPS drops randomly to zero and the sound stops playing until a few moments later -- anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds usually. When the game springs back to life, all of the actors on the screen suddenly sprint to their new locations and I continue on my merry way.

It doesn't usually occur during combat, mostly while I am moving, leading me to think it is some issue with loading things dynamically, maybe? I'm not really sure. I'll try turning down my view distance and see if that helps. My view distance is currently set to "50".

My PC specs are similar to yours, except my graphics card is a Radeon HD 6850, I think.

Oh, also, I am playing the game in borderless windowed mode, and during the lag moments, I can still use things outside of the game just fine, like I can browse the web until the special moment ends and get back to playing, lol. Maybe I will try exclusive fullscreen mode too and see if that helps. I'll post back here in an hour or two probably.

Thanks!
  • Amaylia
    Amaylia
    ✭✭
    Okay, so I tried lowering my graphics quality a bit, but I still experienced the issue. I lowered my view distance to 30 but it didn't seem to help. Then I lowered my view distance to 20, and that still didn't help either. I still get game stuttering.

I forgot to mention that I also experienced this issue in the beta as well, and reported it via the bug report feature. It seems like a difficult to isolate issue though I'm pretty certain it has something to do with loading. It happens the most in cities and only rarely in the wilderness.

If anyone has any other suggestions for what to try I am willing to try things.
  • Amaylia
    Amaylia
    ✭✭
    Okay, I think I may have noticed something else. This issue does not occur when I am playing solo in an instanced area, at all. It happens more frequently in large towns. So I think it has to do with loading players? Is there any debugging tools I can use to troubleshoot this further or any other information I can look for to provide more insight?

Thanks again!
  • sickestbreed
    I had this problem with 2-4 second game freeze too. I tried starting ESO with Razer Game Booster and the problem was gone. Razer Game Booster closes unnecessary services and background processes if you run the game. When you quit the game, all processes will be startet again.

Not the best option to use a 3rd party software but it may help for you in this case
  • Gorecleave
    Gorecleave
    Soul Shriven
    Also having a similar issue, just for a fraction of a second, my FPS will drop slightly, not enough to make the game unplayable, but just enough to be annoying and prevent me from experiencing the beautiful graphics fluidly. Still happens on Minimum settings too, running a FX 6300 OC @ 4.2 and R9 270x
    twitch.tv/gorecleave
  • WylieCoyote1511
    WylieCoyote1511
    ✭✭✭
    Want windows are you guys all running?
  • WylieCoyote1511
    WylieCoyote1511
    ✭✭✭
    *what
  • Jiimmyruk
    Jiimmyruk
    I also have an r9 270x 4gb card. Mt fps is all over the place. I have good.fps when.I log in but even in the wilds it randomly drops to 30 sometimes even lower.
    I have:

Fx 8320 cpu
    R9 270x 4gb gpu
    8gb 1333 ram
    Win 7 64 bit

Task manager states that my cpu and.gpu have low usage...
  • Amaylia
    Amaylia
    ✭✭
    I'm using Windows 7 64-bit as well.

I am going to try using the "Resource Monitor" button in task manager to see if anything is specifically a problem as far as system resources go. When the servers are back online anyways.
  • lenekt
    lenekt
    Mine has been doing exactly the same for the last couple days, especially at night time (prime time for Aussie players), so I'm assuming it might have something to do with server load? Mine will run fine at 60-100fps (depending on area), then have random drops down to below 1! (Usually between 1 and 10 fps. I am 99% sure it is not a computer issue, as it's a fairly strong beast and have been running the game perfectly fine on the highest settings.
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    It may be related to textures and other effects.

I've noticed that some of the bloom effects can seriously impact performance... and then there are times when I notice a little 'seam' in the world. At that point, performance takes a major hit.

Keep an eye out, I guess, for any effects that are causing the slowdowns? Or seams that may result in display errors?
  • Amaylia
    Amaylia
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure what to make of the resource monitor capture. The CPU spikes to 100%, disk access drops to 0%, and network drops to 0-ish% too. I put a red box around the time frame when the FPS drop occurred.

The orange line represents resources used specifically by the ESO process, and the green is everything on the system combined. There isn't too much overhead that I can see though.

This occurred while I was running through Skywatch city in Auridon while on horseback.

Can anyone make sense of this?
  • Belrim
    Belrim
    ✭✭✭
    on part of stutterings, only times ive experienced those on my rig, was when i was using v-sync. Nowadays, if necessary, i rather limit fps with nVidia Inspector (instead of in-game setting or driver).
    Edited by Belrim on April 9, 2014 3:16AM
    Early bird gets the worm, but second mouse gets the cheese.
  • Amaylia
    Amaylia
    ✭✭
    Belrim wrote: »
    on part of stutterings, only times ive experienced those on my rig, was when i was using v-sync. Nowadays, if necessary, i rather limit fps with nVidia Inspector (instead of in-game setting or driver).

I can't rate limit like that. I'm using a AMD Radeon and that option doesn't seem to exist in the Catalyst Control Center. V-Sync is disabled though. I am using the games' Medium Settings, with the only changes to those default settings being that I lowered my view distance to 20 and set the grass option to off. I also changed my AMD Overdrive setting to keep my CPU at 100% power at all times just to test, but that didn't seem to change anything, so I am turning CPU scaling back on now.

I'm not sure what else to try. I think it is a game issue at this point, but I'm not sure if there is a commonality between all of us experiencing the issue. It doesn't seem to affect everyone though.

Thank you for the suggestion though!
  • Belrim
    Belrim
    ✭✭✭
    For AMD cards, tehre is a proggy called RadeonPRO, it should have framerate limiter built into it. http://www.radeonpro.info/

I know this wont fix your problem, but just thought ill mention it anyway.
    Early bird gets the worm, but second mouse gets the cheese.
  • eruexe
    eruexe
    Using fx6300 no oc. And r9 270x. Still happens. Disabled all addons still randomly happens. Sometimes even while fighting.
  • N0madS0uL
    N0madS0uL
    I have experience this now a lot, especially in Balfoyan, I drop 10frames for a split second, no matter what direction im coming from always the same spots, its just drops the frame and stutters sometimes for a few steps, I run a AMD 7800 with 16GB ram and i7

I can run with maxxed out setting and never had this issue in the beta, V-sync on or off makes no difference, its like walking over a pot hole :D not sure why, id think its loading or some buffer issue but cant figure from where, my PC doesnt even work that hard to run this game plus I mean I have been in Cyrodill with 60+ people on a side in battle and had no frame spikes like this...
  • eruexe
    eruexe
    Lol my computer freezes / stutters still sometimes lasting for 10 secs. Not all the time though, there are some times that I play well and sometimes just really laggy.

Weird thing is like @N0madS0uL‌ , i can play in cyrodiil and have Zergs and still play the game well but world questing... expect stutters :3

• NobleNerd
    NobleNerd
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have similar issue with fps. I have noticed it drops way down during bigger event fights with lots of special effects. Then after about 1 hr of play it randomly drops way down and stays there. My temps on gpu, mobo, and cpu are way below critical temps. I have tried many different tweaks. It does not matter whether the graphic settings are high or low.

This is becoming very frustrating!

I have made sure all drivers are up to date.... went through complete re-installs for some.
    BLOOD RAVENS GAMING
    ~a mature gaming community~
    Website
    DISCORD
  • Ilithyie
    Ilithyie
    ✭✭
    I have a gtx 765m, the graphics are set to high by default, even on low settings I get those stutters.

But it's particle-related.
    If you go to MyDocuments/ElderScrollsOnline/live(eu), open Usersettings, find the line "SET ParticlesEnabled "1"", and switch it from 1 to 0.

As for me, it solved my stuttering issue.
    Nevertheless, because particles are completely disabled, you can't see any combat animations, etc.