Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Starting my first healer

Tornaad
Tornaad
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm leveling my first healer. Are there any videos/articles I should watch/read to get more informed in preparation for running dungeons?

I will start on normal dungeons, and build up some better gear and become familiarized with the mechanics before trying vet.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, seriously, Alcast has some good ideas. There are many ways to heal in this game. He also has Trial/Vet Dungeon Healing Guides. Have fun.

Healing in ESO: A Total Beginner’s Guide - Elder Scrolls Online - AlcastHQ
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-healing-beginner-guide-elder-scrolls-online/
    Edited by Nestor on July 15, 2021 9:21PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Ok, seriously, Alcast has some good ideas. There are many ways to heal in this game. He also has Trial/Vet Dungeon Healing Guides. Have fun.

Healing in ESO: A Total Beginner’s Guide - Elder Scrolls Online - AlcastHQ
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-healing-beginner-guide-elder-scrolls-online/

Thank you!
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healer is not required for normal dungeons and a lot of vet dungeons can be done without a healer.
    Get 3 equipment sets that boost team damage or restore their mana/stamina. The faster your team kills the boss the less danger there is for the team.
    In normal dungeons you will probably need to just dps and occasionally heal (if you get newbies in team).
    Edited by ixthUA on July 15, 2021 11:31PM
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Not at all helpful but incredibly hilarious. Thank you.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now we have companions, a healer can practice by running normal dungeons “solo” with Miri or Bastian as DD or tank.
  • paulychan
    paulychan
    ✭✭✭✭
    just so you are not mad when, after hours of grinding to get your healer set up, people don't want you in dungeons
    normal or vet. 4 dps can finish most of that content. if you have a crew that wants heals or still want to be heals, I rolled ori/juli s a hybrid dps/heals using time stop on adds. nobody complained
    just be ready for the kicks
    Edited by paulychan on July 17, 2021 4:51PM
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    paulychan wrote: »
    just so you are not mad when, after hours of grinding to get your healer set up, people don't want you in dungeons
    normal or vet. 4 dps can finish most of that content. if you have a crew that wants heals or still want to be heals, I rolled ori/juli s a hybrid dps/heals using time stop on adds. nobody complained
    just be ready for the kicks

That sounds like good advice that I am already expecting.
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some comments may suggest that healer is a not-so-useful role for normal dungeons. That may be true (in a measure) but consider that any group must have a healer, and if you go into a group as a dd fake heal, you could be grudged at the first death and kicked out.
    Besides, I see that healer's inclusion in groups is almost instantaneous, while dd's need 10'-15' on average.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For starters:
    • 1 restoration staff, 1 destruction staff. That's always best perhaps until you get to activities a lot more advanced than you're currently talking about.
    • Go out in the landscape and quest that way too. You'll probably get most of your kills while on your destruction staff bar, so flip to your restoration bar to get XP when you can, which is mainly at quest turn-in time and when finishing a dolmen.
    • Light armor, although you may add in other kinds when you get your Undaunted skill line leveled very high.
    • Attribute points in magicka.

Dungeon healers do a variety of things:
    • Heal via HoTs (heals over time).
    • Provide emergency heals when needed.
    • Buff teammates and provide them with "battery" services (i.e. magicka/stamina).
    • Debuff enemies.
    • Actually damage enemies.
    And of course they buff and protect themselves too.

That said, when your character is low-level, you may not be able to do some of those things yet.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on July 18, 2021 11:00AM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also, some build choices assume a well-coordinated group with the members playing close to each other to get the benefits of area-of-effect abilities. This assumption may not match reality.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I recently made a beginner's guide for PvE healing, covering more or less everything important with a focus on long term success. Hope it helps. =)
    https://youtu.be/svO_ON3I9YE
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For starters:
    • 1 restoration staff, 1 destruction staff. That's always best perhaps until you get to activities a lot more advanced than you're currently talking about.
    • Go out in the landscape and quest that way too. You'll probably get most of your kills while on your destruction staff bar, so flip to your restoration bar to get XP when you can, which is mainly at quest turn-in time and when finishing a dolmen.
    • Light armor, although you may add in other kinds when you get your Undaunted skill line leveled very high.
    • Attribute points in magicka.

Dungeon healers do a variety of things:
    • Heal via HoTs (heals over time).
    • Provide emergency heals when needed.
    • Buff teammates and provide them with "battery" services (i.e. magicka/stamina).
    • Debuff enemies.
    • Actually damage enemies.
    And of course they buff and protect themselves too.

That said, when your character is low-level, you may not be able to do some of those things yet.

Thank you! that is some good information!
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FakeFox wrote: »
    I recently made a beginner's guide for PvE healing, covering more or less everything important with a focus on long term success. Hope it helps. =)
    https://youtu.be/svO_ON3I9YE

@FakeFox thank you very much. I will have to watch that video.
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play a sorcerer healer on my main, and mostly solo, now with companions it's much easier, I use crafted sets-seducer/kragranec's.

* you may want to get assault to level 4 for the group buff ultimate Aggresive horn
    * you may want to get undaunted to level 5 for necrotic orb-Energy Orb morph (sadly not too many are activating the synergy, so I might change it to Mystic Orb morph to do a bit more damage)

Healers are def not needed outside of hard content, but I enjoy playing as one, play as you see fit, and have fun!
    Edited by Blinx on July 19, 2021 5:51PM
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blinx wrote: »
    I play a sorcerer healer on my main, and mostly solo, now with companions it's much easier, I use crafted sets-seducer/kragranec's.

* you may want to get assault to level 4 for the group buff ultimate Aggresive horn

Thank you. Playing a healer for the first time has got me thinking a lot about what I do with my builds on my other characters. I very well might end up doing something similar.
  • BodeanG
    BodeanG
    ✭✭
    You'll probably get most of your kills while on your destruction staff bar, so flip to your restoration bar to get XP when you can, which is mainly at quest turn-in time and when finishing a dolmen.

This is by far the advice that will save you the most frustration. I am curently 43 and most of my combat and weapon skills are in the mid to late 40s except Resto. It's at 29 because I keep forgetting to switch to it at quest turn ins. I want to hurt myself...
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BodeanG wrote: »
    You'll probably get most of your kills while on your destruction staff bar, so flip to your restoration bar to get XP when you can, which is mainly at quest turn-in time and when finishing a dolmen.

This is by far the advice that will save you the most frustration. I am curently 43 and most of my combat and weapon skills are in the mid to late 40s except Resto. It's at 29 because I keep forgetting to switch to it at quest turn ins. I want to hurt myself...

What I have been doing is to set one skill from each of the class trees and the Healing and Destruction staff trees on each bar and then all of my skills get leveled. I can't use some of the skills but for overland content it doesn't matter to much.
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We do need healers...not sure why there's so much negative comments about healers not being needed in dungeons. I personally prefer the holy trinity in group content , im old school. Tank, healer, dps. Sure you can do many dungeons without a healer but not the harder ones like vet dlc's. Also beginners do better in a group with tank ,dps and heals.

Why make a role obsolete? It just makes the game more boring...lots of players enjoy the healing role.

I think its good experience for new players to learn healing in normal dungeons.
    Edited by wishlist14 on July 23, 2021 12:29PM
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wishlist14 wrote: »
    We do need healers...not sure why there's so much negative comments about healers not being needed in dungeons.

@wishlist14 I just attribute it to normal internet negativity.