Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can I Buff My Companion?

ValerieKyrie
ValerieKyrie
✭✭✭
I can heal my companion, but buffs like Frost Cloak don't seem to work.

Is this a bug or on purpose?
Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 12, 2023 3:54PM
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you say it's not working because you cannot see it, then maybe it's a bug?

On my warden healer I have used expansive frost cloak and been able to see it on them, and also the purple glow around their hands from my SPC. It lasts on them the same amount of time that it does on me.

That said, who knows if it really is a buff? since it could just simply be giving them the visual but nothing more.

@ZOS_GinaBruno : is there info on whether or not our combat buffs also buff companions?
  • RedSwallow
    RedSwallow
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure I was able at least see visual effcts from shields. That was prior to the mysterious patch couple of days ago, though.
    Edited by RedSwallow on June 7, 2021 5:44AM
  • ValerieKyrie
    ValerieKyrie
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, thanks! I haven't seen any visuals.

But if you have, maybe that means it will work eventually?
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Okay, thanks! I haven't seen any visuals.

But if you have, maybe that means it will work eventually?

Echoing what @Soulshine said, I have seen the SPC buff and similar visuals on grouped Companions. I have no way to confirm whether or not the visuals guarantee the buffs are actually buffing, though.

You may want to check your Video settings. At the bottom there's a toggle that says "Show Additional Ally Effects" or something super similar to that (going from memory atm). I'm not sure what all is included in that, but if it's off that may explain why you aren't seeing some vfx on your Comps! :)
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like this is pretty basic information which they could bother to let us know about though.

We have the option to outfit them with different buffs from their armour and weapons, but no panels to access which would show you their total build once you equip them with everything, let alone what that build looks like when buffed.... if they can be buffed in the first place.

Maybe this is something that will come with future updates to the game, but it sort of makes it even more confusing that they even bothered to provide traited gear for them if improving their combat potential -- buffing -- then was not really an option. We already know they are not ever going to perform like another player, but knowing what we can impact to improve them a bit ourselves would be nice.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Soulshine wrote: »
    Seems like this is pretty basic information which they could bother to let us know about though.

We have the option to outfit them with different buffs from their armour and weapons, but no panels to access which would show you their total build once you equip them with everything, let alone what that build looks like when buffed.... if they can be buffed in the first place.

Maybe this is something that will come with future updates to the game, but it sort of makes it even more confusing that they even bothered to provide traited gear for them if improving their combat potential -- buffing -- then was not really an option. We already know they are not ever going to perform like another player, but knowing what we can impact to improve them a bit ourselves would be nice.

Right?! I didn't really speak up on that aspect of it, because I was half convinced that an addon and/or my own stupidity was just preventing me from seeing their aggregate stats. lol

Like, I got a Focused weapon for Bastian that adds 924 Crit Chance (or whatever). Hooray? I guess? lol Thanks for the blue text and next to meaningless numbers, ZOS! I feel GREAT about my Companions stats now! Boy howdy!

Glad it's not just me. :D

So weird that their stats are visible NOWHERE at all, right? I'm still not sure I'm just not missing something...
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Can I Buff My Companion?"

Ew.
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lumsdenml wrote: »
    "Can I Buff My Companion?"

Ew.

Why "ew"? If you're running around sorta-solo with your Companion, is it so horrible to honestly wonder if they benefit from your Spell Power Cure buffs (or whatever)? Seems like a pretty legitimate question to me...

And for the record (at least according to my quick & dirty testing on the PTS) -- YES Spell Power Cure buffs Comp damage pretty much as expected. Mirri's damage and healing both went up once I applied Major Courage to her, and fell back down soon as the purple glow went away. It's not just pretty vfx that have no bearing on their performance. :)
    Edited by GreenHere on June 7, 2021 10:55PM
  • Monte_Cristo
    Monte_Cristo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reviving this thread, as there isn't an answer yet, either here or that I can find online.
    Does frost cloak (and it's morphs) apply major resolve to your companions? I can see the visual effects of other buffs to companions, but not for this one.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a small list of abilities that can affect companions, some that do affect them don't do anything for them. I was working on compiling an updated list to the companion guide, then I got bored so...
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... then I got bored so...

😂😂😂
    I so feel you.
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

We have gone ahead and closed this thread down since it is rather old. Please keep in mind that sometimes it is better to create a new topic, instead of replying in one that was posted a while ago.

Thanks for your understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.