The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.0 maintenance and is currently unavailable.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Nerfed Companions? Opinion poll!

• MajThorax
    MajThorax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No! They're already weak.
    I still don't know why these companions are coming in the first place, other than satisfy roleplayers. I genuinely try to find some use for them but they turn out to be just a customizable combat pet.
  • Ascarl
    Ascarl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was so much negative feedback from the usual whining crowd about pay2win and now ZOS gave in and reduced the power of companions to the point that nobody cries because of pay2win anymore.
  • remosito
    remosito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ascarl wrote: »
    There was so much negative feedback from the usual whining crowd about pay2win and now ZOS gave in and reduced the power of companions to the point that nobody cries because of pay2win anymore.

can you link some of those p2win posts?

did not come accross any. not exactly camped on these forums. but do read daily....
    ShutYerTrap (selectively mute NPC dialogues (stuga, companions); displayleads (antiquity leads location); UndauntedPledgeQueuer (small daily undaunted dungeon queuer window)
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭

what content do u want to "win" with companions?
  • AyaDark
    AyaDark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When people who can not pass own content, that they make on normal balance the game, what did you expect ???

Balance ?

I expect some thing with no logick at all.

And ... as you see.

But nerf to foodeven i do not expect ... .
  • crazepdx
    crazepdx
    ✭✭✭✭

I haven't seen any p2w comments. I've seen some saying they shouldn't have to pay for the feature but that had nothing to do with p2w.

I've seen other posts talking about how companions were going to make x class or role obsolete. I suspect those posts were more the reason why the companions are so lackluster and underpowered.
  • MudcrabAttack
    MudcrabAttack
    ✭✭✭✭
    Today, Bastion was still blocking well-telegraphed mechanics with his face and getting himself dead over and over, in a normal dungeon. Normal. Dungeon. I don't even go into normal dungeons with tanks anymore on live, I'd rather solo it with a pale order ring than watch the poor man bite the dust over and over. The "Keep Bastion Alive" game is really going to be the toughest content in the game.
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today, Bastion was still blocking well-telegraphed mechanics with his face and getting himself dead over and over, in a normal dungeon. Normal. Dungeon. I don't even go into normal dungeons with tanks anymore on live, I'd rather solo it with a pale order ring than watch the poor man bite the dust over and over. The "Keep Bastion Alive" game is really going to be the toughest content in the game.

Keep Bastian Alive Solo Scalecaller Peak Vet Go >:)
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    New Toughest title to get in the game: Flawless Companion Friend
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh I don't see those as nerfs;

Twilight Mantle heals Mirri to full heath (vanish).
    Companions will now attempt to dodge while at low health (no stam issue)
    Companions will now properly block stun and knockback.
    Flow now increases healing done and decreases cool down
    Damage mitigation from armor has been fixed (in theory)

I see them as attempts to balance something, before it goes live.

That still doesnt help. Even if that increases their survivability slightly, they will still be useless because even fully geared, which takes time, they do less damage then a wet towel.
  • M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One question I've not seen an answer for yet... Does having an active companion prevent you from using a non-combat pet?
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    M_Volsung wrote: »
    One question I've not seen an answer for yet... Does having an active companion prevent you from using a non-combat pet?
    You can have a non-combat pet out at the same time as your companion, but not the banker/merchant.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I just hope that the companions are only visible to the owners. It will be absolutely pathetic to see loads of companions running around with the same face and body, like a bunch of private clones. It will be even worse than the bears. That will clearly ruin the game and make it horrible. However, if companions are invisible to third parties, out of a group, it will be perfectly ok.
  • stefj68
    stefj68
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    waste of time to level / grind stuff for them... 5kdps companion not worth the trouble... i could just use a potion of weapon power and get 15-20k more dps right away!!!!
  • Toxic_Hemlock
    Toxic_Hemlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    NeKryXe wrote: »
    I just hope that the companions are only visible to the owners. It will be absolutely pathetic to see loads of companions running around with the same face and body, like a bunch of private clones. It will be even worse than the bears. That will clearly ruin the game and make it horrible. However, if companions are invisible to third parties, out of a group, it will be perfectly ok.

Well with the number of player complaining about the current state of companions I cannot see a problem with them hogging up the bandwidth or the scenery. Without a major update to them I will most likely not bother as I already have a job and it does not include babysitting!
    Edited by Toxic_Hemlock on May 12, 2021 8:34AM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MajThorax wrote: »
    I still don't know why these companions are coming in the first place, other than satisfy roleplayers. I genuinely try to find some use for them but they turn out to be just a customizable combat pet.

I am not quite certain role players want this, unless they are the solo player kind of role player.

Really followers just feel almost like an in game tamagotchi at this point.

“How can I care for them to make them grow?”
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My basic thought on companions is wait-and-see. If I'm going to level them at all, why not wait until the double XP events start up again in October?
  • jwellsub17_ESO2
    jwellsub17_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    NeKryXe wrote: »
    I just hope that the companions are only visible to the owners.
    I can't speak to group visibility, but companions are visible everywhere else in PvE. So yes, you may see 25+ Mirri and 30+ Bastian in the crafting area of Alinor next month.

• Leogon
    Leogon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tessitura wrote: »
    I think companions are a dumb addition to this game anyway. Especially such a half baked ass system as what we are getting. This takes more of the mm out of the mmo. I dont think a nerf is a bad thing. Anything that keeps players running in groups is a good thing to me.
    People who love soloing content are already doing that and those who love playing with others are already doing that. Companions won't really change any of that. You'll never be able to force solo players to play with you if they don't want to, they'll just skip the content they can't solo. In my case, sometimes I solo the non dlc vet dungeons, world bosses, vet solo arenas and normal 4 player arenas and sometimes I play with my brother and we co-op some of the content that can't be soloed but most vet dlc dungeons are too difficult even for 2 players so we don't play them. We were excited when they announced companions and said that we'd be able to bring them everywhere except for solo arenas and pvp but not anymore 'cuz it was just a salesman's speech. Does that mean we're going to play with others? No, we'll just keep skipping the content we can't complete.
  • jwellsub17_ESO2
    jwellsub17_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    Leogon wrote: »
    People who love soloing content are already doing that and those who love playing with others are already doing that. Companions won't really change any of that.
    For me, this is really the crux of the situation. From my testing (level 50/735CP), I cannot solo any more with companions than I could without them. Have not grouped, but given my statement about soloing content tells me that grouping with your brother and two companions will not change your ability to duo content in the least.

I am sure there will be some edge cases that I haven't discovered yet, but my understanding from ZOS's statements is that companions are not really meant to change the way people play but to augment the way people currently play and from my testing it will achieve that, though not by much.
    You'll never be able to force solo players to play with you if they don't want to, they'll just skip the content they can't solo.
    I used to play EQ back in the days where level 70 was the cap. At that time, many people believed that you couldn't solo in level appropriate areas unless you were a Shaman or Druid, so people grouped up almost religiously. Well like the good little customer that I was I went and grouped like everyone else, and HATED IT... Until Sony released the BeastLord class that is. From that day onward, I played solo when and where I wanted and grouped when and where I wanted, I created new tactics and strategies that allowed me to play the game I wanted.

Sometimes I would play tank for a group without being a member of the group (most of the time I was with friends / family), sometimes I would solo content that many said was impossible to solo, sometimes I would do guild raids, and yes sometimes I would do a normal pick-up groups (most of which were horrible). I say this because I got a taste for being able to play at my own rate, style, and choosing.

I play ESO the same way, it is a game (not a job) and I am not competing with anyone else, only with myself and the content created by ZOS. I don't like most of the pickup groups that I have been a part of in ESO as their only intent was to race through the content, so I rarely group. ZOS, by their own statements about companions, have said that I am basically their target demo for companions. It sounds to me like you are also part of their target demo.

And before some wiseass tries to point out that I could try "talking" to the pick-up group, I call BS... Why? because I literally (using that term correctly BTW) greet every single group when I join and then thank them when we are done and 19 out of 20 times, I get crickets in response. They are not there for the group, they are there for the "bonus" loot
    We were excited when they announced companions and said that we'd be able to bring them everywhere except for solo arenas and pvp but not anymore 'cuz it was just a salesman's speech. Does that mean we're going to play with others? No, we'll just keep skipping the content we can't complete.
    When I watched the announcement, I had dreams of a Lydia type, one of the Knights of the Nine, or perhaps even a J'Zargo like character joining me in my ESO adventure. Sadly, that does not appear to be what we are going to get. :(

And no, having them, or not, will have zero impact on how I play the game... I will continue to play ESO at my own rate, style, and choosing.
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    did these week again some things with the companions on PTS,
    I intended to go through a publuc dungeon, a normal dungeon and then a vet dungeon,
    after doing a quest in a delve where they dropped dead mostly at any encounter were I took on more then just 1 or 2 enemies,
    I put them on with some better gear, but it did not made much of a difference,

Overland with not much enemies engaged it stays alive but doing an anchor in the startzone, Glenumbra in this case, which I can do alone with crap gear, they almost instantly die and then are dead till the anchor is done.

It is way beyond my understanding what this would/could be better then my monkey or my banker (those stay at least alive),
    it is just an stone to carry on. Nothing more, nothing less. Oh yeah and they say all the time the same things, it is boring, it is no help, it is just WASTE!! Waste of my time, waste of my inventory, most likely a waste of server-capacity, nothing would have been better then these creeps.
    Epic fail as it is now.
    Edited by Azurya on May 24, 2021 2:58PM
  • miteba
    miteba
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's all about expectations!

They never said anything about "combat companions" so they must have been developed as "BFF companions" or "talking companions with some skills" ... So probably they are overperforming in their combat skills!

Words can be very powerful weapons
    And Zenimax took that very seriously...

[Some fun intended]
    Edited by miteba on May 24, 2021 7:10PM
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh welp, looks like there's no need to buy this chapter after all. And no reason to come back to the game either.
    When I learnt about companions I thought maybe this time I would be able to finish vet difficult dungeons with my (very) casual friends and a companion. Looks like it won't be possible, thanks for the news.