Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

No Time Gating please

• Mythreindeer
    Mythreindeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geschmonz wrote: »
    _Zathras_ wrote: »
    ESO doesn't do that.

It actually is time gating if you artificially tell a story over one full year instead of telling it fully at the start of a new story chapter. In that case, the stroy is time gated, no matter if new content is being added.

ZOS should really not try to make ESO+ subs matter longer, but instead focus on selling new DLCs via the crown shop, and add fully newly designed regions with new stories told in new DLCs every month or all 2 months. I would believe that is worth it. In the end, time gating just does not work, as people may stop playing just to return whenever those time gates are gone. It is just now that they may see the full story earlier, and i myself feel exploited if the only thing that is being added in one full month is just a small quest line, and nothing else.

If you, ZOS, want more customers, add more unique content. And do not time gate the stories told.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say you’re issue with “time gating” is a relatively tiny percent of the player base and the vast majority of us are happy to maintain our sub year round.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO doesn't do that.

It actually is time gating if you artificially tell a story over one full year instead of telling it fully at the start of a new story chapter. In that case, the stroy is time gated, no matter if new content is being added.

ZOS should really not try to make ESO+ subs matter longer, but instead focus on selling new DLCs via the crown shop, and add fully newly designed regions with new stories told in new DLCs every month or all 2 months. I would believe that is worth it. In the end, time gating just does not work, as people may stop playing just to return whenever those time gates are gone. It is just now that they may see the full story earlier, and i myself feel exploited if the only thing that is being added in one full month is just a small quest line, and nothing else.

If you, ZOS, want more customers, add more unique content. And do not time gate the stories told.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say you’re issue with “time gating” is a relatively tiny percent of the player base and the vast majority of us are happy to maintain our sub year round.

I am forced to agree. What is happening here is that the bulk of the response is attempting to rebut an assertion or convince the OP that they are wrong. It seems unlikely that this will be successful, especially given the challenge of trying to dig down to the issue.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought he meant -> 'You are in a queue'....*waiting to log in*
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am so confused. I've never encountered the term "time gating", and I cannot figure out what OP is so mad about? As far as I can tell, they are speeding through each new story and getting mad that the new content isn't released yet.
    Which..... seems like a weird thing to be mad about.
    Also thinking that only " single digits" % of players do dungeons and trials is hilarious to me. Just as myself, I am more than 50 discord servers that are dedicated to trials, of my 5 guilds, 1 is a dedicated trial guild, but the 2 social guilds also run trials, then I am in a few housing, trading, and social discords as a friend/mentor/ emergency fill for their trials.
    Combined? That's thousands of people, and those are just the ones I personally have played with
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    ESO doesn't do that.

I am forced to agree. What is happening here is that the bulk of the response is attempting to rebut an assertion or convince the OP that they are wrong. It seems unlikely that this will be successful, especially given the challenge of trying to dig down to the issue.

I'm just confused about what the OP means. They're complaining that content is getting split into 4 chunks, and their solution is to split the content into MORE chunks?

Like, it's not like ZOS is sitting on the full year's worth of content waiting for the release date. They can only develop so much stuff per quarter.
    As has already been mentioned, there is more to this game than questing.

How many players, do you think, play Trials?

If i could take a guess, it is not even a one digit percentage.

How many players, do you think, play PVP?

Probably a bit more, as you do not need a premade group to play it.

Same goes for group dungeons.

Fact is, that everything that needs a premade group, a guild and a schedule is played by a very few only. One of the main selling points of ESO is the great questing content, but surely not new trials.

That could change, if trials were available for solo players. Blackwood brings companions. Which is the best chance to allow players to customize that system to allow them to actually play trials without the need to join a rock hard scheduled trial guild.

I think you are mistaken in that assessment.

As for your time-gating issue, Varanis proposed the best solution. Wait a year and do it all at once if that's what you'd like.

Or you could be a slacker like me and still be wrapping up Summerset/starting Murkmire. No worries about not having content for me!

The Moot Councillor
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    Well, time gating means any kind of content that is available, but artificially gated behind a schedule. I think content should be fully available once it is released. It is just that time gating does not work.

I would expect that Zos has not completed the DLC that is to follow the chapter. Gaming companies are often working on the next release up to the point it is to be released. At the same time, they are also working on future content for other releases. I expect Zenimax is already working on next year's stories if not even starting to hash out what comes after that.

This stuff is not tossed together in a few weeks or months. Heck, while I am new here I am excited that I do not have to wait a year or longer between significant updates like how most MMORPGs do this.
    This goes without saying, the chapters are most work, the dungeons least and the dlc zone in the middle.
    Now I guess ZOS has some slack here to not fall behind but they are already hard at work at the next dungeons and probably also the dlc zone, all has been planned by now and they have decided on the next chapter and has the main elements in a list.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.