The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why is Bastian an Imperial?

hcbigdogdoghc
hcbigdogdoghc
✭✭✭✭✭
Everything about him screams Breton, but he's an Imperial for some reason.

Given ZOS's fetish of denying Bretons content I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Can't make Bretons prominent in anything am I right ZOS? People might actually starts to like Bretons and we can't have that.

And I thought making the direnni tower the tutorial location and having nothing Breton related there was the last straw.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything about him screams Breton, but he's an Imperial for some reason.

Given ZOS's fetish of denying Bretons content I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Can't make Bretons prominent in anything am I right ZOS? People might actually starts to like Bretons and we can't have that.

And I thought making the direnni tower the tutorial location and having nothing Breton related there was the last straw.

He looks imperial to me. Has that long aristocratic nose and proper demeanor. Bretons always look more elfish to me, and tend to be more mischievous.
    Edited by Jeremy on April 30, 2021 8:55PM
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You're looking at it all wrong! He feels the same way you do!

He goes out of his way to look and behave as Breton as he can. He wakes up thinking, "Why, oh why must I have been born an infernal Imperial?! Why couldn't I have been born a beautiful Breton!?!"

Honestly it's a little sad. Dude has a bit of a complex. Bastian needs to learn to love himself just the way he is.

We're planning an intervention for him later; we all love and care about him and decided we needed to talk to him about his self-hate and Breton idolizing. You're welcome to join. We're meeting at The Rosy Lion, in Daggerfall. You know, the most Breton-y place we could think of, just to put him at-ease. Meeting's at 9pm, Hammerdeath Time.

*And for those that don't know, Hammerdeath Arena has its own time zone in Tamriel. Purely so people with out-of-date senses of humor can say, "STOP! Hammer time?!" to folks when asking for what time it is. True fact! Someone ping the lore master, they'll back me up!
    Edited by GreenHere on April 30, 2021 9:02PM
  • Moonsprite
    Moonsprite
    ✭✭✭
    I’d rather he stays imperial so he keeps the extra health. 🙂
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I read his meet the character thingy the other day and thought.... why is he an Imperial?..

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/59961
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Romani ite domum
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FluffWit wrote: »
    I read his meet the character thingy the other day and thought.... why is he an Imperial?..

The first few minutess that article was up, it said he was breton but it has since been purged.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is an Imperial because his mother was an Imperial. Simple. :)
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Radiance
    Radiance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They may not have DLC content thus far but neither did any of the other 9 races until their chapter came and to say they're not prominent is just not true. Breton are the leaders of the Daggerfall Covenant under the rule of King Emeric and the DC capital is in Wayrest, a Breton stronghold.
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because at least one of his parents is Imperial. It's an Imperial chapter, what did you expect?!
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly eso made brentons something boring and unattractive to me personally, it's a shame but rn without any new GOOD content I don't want anything breton related. It would be a waste.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because storyline is taking place in Cyrodiil boarderland?

Which makes me sad, cause the miss opportunity to give us as a companion argonian healer with option for badass naga berserker ;)
    Edited by Ippokrates on May 1, 2021 9:52AM
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Romani ite domum

LOL :) brings back memories, must rewatch The Life of Brian. Thanks
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because Imperials look cool and Bretons look like potatos :p

From having Merish blood(Mer who usually have very sharp and long facial features) it's weird how Bretons faces are so soft and round looking compared to other races of men.(at least in ESO, they looked ok in Skyrim)
    Edited by Aztrias on May 1, 2021 10:10AM
    Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
  • Wolfchild07
    Wolfchild07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When a mummy imperial and a daddy imperial love each other veeeeeery much...
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »

The first few minutess that article was up, it said he was breton but it has since been purged.

I think we can assume that his was an unplanned birth.
    PC EU
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Chapter is set partly is Cryodiil, simples.
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Netheniel
    Netheniel
    ✭✭✭
    Funny thing too, in his Meet the Character story, he's clearly wearing a Breton tier 4 jerkin :)

Personally I don't mind if he's Imperial. What I didn't know and was surprised to find out is that he's actually a mage. And yet he's a Dragonknight with class skills that synergize best with melee tank roles. Strange combination if you ask me. Nevertheless, you can dress him up and pretend he's any one of the human races as you see fit.

If they do introduce a Breton companion though, I would expect him/her to be a templar noble/knight. Bretons tend to be represented as your typical medieval European knight or swashbuckler, but since Mirri already fits the nightblade role, templar knight would be my bet. Deo volente.
  • MellowMagic
    MellowMagic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cause imperials are badass and they deserve more recognition.
    PC / NA @MellowMagic
    Imperial named with some sort of variation of "Deo"
    By the Divines...
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    He really should have been Breton. His parent conspired against a ruler, which is a very on topic for Breton politics. He also serves at a nobleman's family as their ward/political prisoner/adopted son, which is again a very Breton thing to do. He is from Breton lands, dresses as a Breton, sounds like a Breton, him being Imperial adds nothing - so much so, that his character intro article called him Breton. :lol:
    Netheniel wrote: »
    If they do introduce a Breton companion though, I would expect him/her to be a templar noble/knight. Bretons tend to be represented as your typical medieval European knight or swashbuckler, but since Mirri already fits the nightblade role, templar knight would be my bet.
    If they do add a Breton, I hope we'll get a female knight. We've seen male knights and female mages before, but I'd really like a kickass lady - perhaps a member of a zealous order dedicated to one of the divines or something. Also, preferably, if they make a Breton character they should have special Breton ears that are a nod to their ancestry.
    EdDYPwfXYAI9cdy.png
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    He's not a Breton because then he would be some kind of Darien copy. It's enough if Mirri somehow reminds of Naryu.
  • TiaFrye
    TiaFrye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lugaldu wrote: »
    He's not a Breton because then he would be some kind of Darien copy. It's enough if Mirri somehow reminds of Naryu.

Both are not copies in the slightest which is nice. I was afraid that Mirri will be another Naryu-like edgy dunmer and Bastian a replacement for Darien but their hire quests are good and characters are quite different.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, that's a lot of breton stuff for an imperial. Why doesn't he represent a trading house from a city in Cyrodiil? Why does an imperial house (He's imperial and the name Hallix sound it as well, and not breton) have land and titles in High Rock under King Emeric? Why is he dressed like a breton?
    Sounds like breton would've been more fitting.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • hcbigdogdoghc
    hcbigdogdoghc
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ZOS don't like Bretons
  • Vonkarolinas
    Vonkarolinas
    ✭✭✭
    Bretons are just Imperial wannabes anyway.
  • VesuviaBennet22
    VesuviaBennet22
    ✭✭✭
    You say that Bretons never get love, but neither do Imperials. They are usually the baddies, so its refreshing to have one that isn't. Or is he? ;o
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    TiaFrye wrote: »

Both are not copies in the slightest which is nice. I was afraid that Mirri will be another Naryu-like edgy dunmer and Bastian a replacement for Darien but their hire quests are good and characters are quite different.

Glad to hear that!
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »
    He really should have been Breton. His parent conspired against a ruler, which is a very on topic for Breton politics. He also serves at a nobleman's family as their ward/political prisoner/adopted son, which is again a very Breton thing to do. He is from Breton lands, dresses as a Breton, sounds like a Breton, him being Imperial adds nothing - so much so, that his character intro article called him Breton. :lol:
    Netheniel wrote: »
    If they do introduce a Breton companion though, I would expect him/her to be a templar noble/knight. Bretons tend to be represented as your typical medieval European knight or swashbuckler, but since Mirri already fits the nightblade role, templar knight would be my bet.
    If they do add a Breton, I hope we'll get a female knight. We've seen male knights and female mages before, but I'd really like a kickass lady - perhaps a member of a zealous order dedicated to one of the divines or something. Also, preferably, if they make a Breton character they should have special Breton ears that are a nod to their ancestry.
    EdDYPwfXYAI9cdy.png

I would prefer a Breton companion that touches on their obscure lore. A breton warden who expands on the Druids of Galen origin for the race that hasn’t been mentioned since arena. The Divines are pretty overplayed, several races have some variation of them but different interpretations. Give us obscure Breton gods that havnt been mentioned since Daggerfall like Notorgo, the messenger god, or Vigryl the god of the sea.

Bretons have potential https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Breton
    Edited by Aliyavana on May 2, 2021 8:58AM
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cause not ugly?
  • Nareya726
    Nareya726
    ✭✭✭
    TiaFrye wrote: »

When they first revealed these characters I thought they sounded like Naryu and Darien knock-offs, so if that's not the case then I'm pleasantly surprised.