Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

February 2020 Furnishing Limit Status Update

• Arictheana
    Arictheana
    ✭✭✭
    For now, I'd settle for a furniture bag like the craft bag. Then they can continue 'working' on the caps.
  • Kashya_Vulano
    Kashya_Vulano
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they said they were going to re-assess the item and population caps at the end of the year.

It's two months into 2021. Are we going to hear anything?
  • Adremal
    Adremal
    ✭✭✭✭
    As the Frostvault Chasm will be coming back, I can't help but wonder why it has the same limit (200/400) of much smaller houses like the Exorcised Coven Cottage.

Aside from that I can't wrap my head around the fact that server upgrades have been touted, that the new houses are ever-bigger, and there's still no talk of upping the caps. Why would I buy a huge house worth 130 bucks (or more, if they go by size I shudder at the thought how much the Ayleid ruins one is gonna cost) when I can only properly decorate 30-40 bucks worth of it? And no, "giving the players the opportunity to decide which parts of the house they want to focus on" is not an opportunity, it's an insulting limitation. It'd be an opportunity if we were offered to buy, say, only one or two wings out of a huge house. But no, we get the full package at full price and resulting full emptiness.
  • Daishichi
    Daishichi
    ✭✭✭
    My take: I'd pay crowns to add slots to my main manor. It's satisfying to end each session by refining/deconstructing and banking/selling at my *home*, so I don't want a dozen secondary houses I'll never visit (and which no one else can). Take my money and add servers that balance out the performance issues.
    I thought they said they were going to re-assess the item and population caps at the end of the year. It's two months into 2021. Are we going to hear anything?

Since the CP system overhaul is supposed to vastly simplify the calculations required and improve overall performance, I'm hoping that it works as well or better than they expected, and gives them the room to bump our housing limits up. But I'd imagine they'll have to give it most of the year to see.

Gamertag: SpideyGuy73
    Xbox One NA
    Grand Master Crafter
  • Northern_Mage
    Northern_Mage
    ✭✭
    Wooden stairs in different styles and shapes (not just one straight stair but also angled and/or with ledges), that is one thing that would be great to have for interior constructions in many of the houses, for right now all we have, in the form of stairs, are of stone and that is feeling more then a little "out of place" inside wooden houses and to basically "sacrifice" everything between 10-30 furnishing slots to make a decent staircase, well it just isn't fair.
  • BloodLegions
    BloodLegions
    ✭✭
    If you're adding all lore books why not gave them as a whole set added rather than individual books? Use the stacked book item add the whole into it one item over 10? The 36 sermons spread over 3. My bookcases will also look less messy. And instead of movement path nodes can we have lighting ones. Like an add on has the ability to do this but the game devs dont?
  • imchuckyb
    imchuckyb
    @spartaxoxo Great idea I hope it becomes a reality.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    imchuckyb wrote: »
    @spartaxoxo Great idea I hope it becomes a reality.

Thanks! I think it's a pretty common suggestion though. :smile:
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for this post. Can you look into adding a "Ultimate Attunable station" possibly? My house is filled with crafting stations for all the crafted sets in the game, and if i could infuse all the attunable sets into a single station, that would leave me with a whole lot more decorating room for my house.

Could possibly help with performance too.

Papa bless

EDIT: made this professional illustration to help explain my solution. unknown.png

THIS !
  • BloodLegions
    BloodLegions
    ✭✭
    Increase max housing in the largest manors to 500, thus 1000 to eso+ 350/700 is not enough!

I would like to see the eso devs make either the grand psijic villa or the new ayleid ruins varlavea an actual home filled with 350 slots then 700. That actually looks inviting and complete but also creative with what we have to play with. No using in game assets we don't have access to.

I like how you have a furnishings cap of 700 yet the assets in castle thorn were possible. We can see what your devs can do when they have no limits.

So let's see what you guys can do when your limited to what we have to work. Then say that 700 is a fine cap for a fully furnished home.

Or better yet a guild house that is inviting as well as functional with only 700 slots.

Don't forget to also place half of the antiques and achievement furnishings from all the zones within the 350/700 limit.
    Edited by BloodLegions on April 4, 2021 4:42AM
  • M21112
    M21112
    admin
    with the new NPC (house guests) we need more slots for collectibles, its really unsatisfying, raising it to at least 10 (20 with eso plus) will make it more suitable, I really wish if we could see that in the future :smile:
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1/3 of the way into 2021 and still zero communication about what impact the "Year of Perfomance" had on furnishing limits, or what plans they have for the future in this regard. Does the OP still even work for ZOS? I have no idea. All I know is that they keep selling bigger and bigger e-properties, leaving us to seal off even larger percentages of space to make our homes look lived in and complete.

Edited by Jaraal on April 16, 2021 6:46PM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • CleymenZero
    CleymenZero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    agegarton wrote: »
    Thanks for this post. Can you look into adding a "Ultimate Attunable station" possibly? My house is filled with crafting stations for all the crafted sets in the game, and if i could infuse all the attunable sets into a single station, that would leave me with a whole lot more decorating room for my house.

Could possibly help with performance too.

Papa bless

EDIT: made this professional illustration to help explain my solution. unknown.png

THIS !

Absolutely this!

With all the attunables in, I can't even have my homework designer do her work properly. She's talented enough to4do somethings with the little space she has but as new crafting sets are released, I'll have to cannibalize this and that structure to place the new tables eventually.

One special table that would act as an index for all other attunables to be deposited into them would be ideal. Make it consume the attunables.
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know of the frustration to decorate large homes with 700 slots you know how annoying it gets.

And yet you put Pantherfang Chapel into a game a massive chappel courtyard and a keep and think 700 will fill it?

if you cannot increase the limit STOP GIVING US MASSIVE HOUSES
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kaisernick wrote: »
    You know of the frustration to decorate large homes with 700 slots you know how annoying it gets.

And yet you put Pantherfang Chapel into a game a massive chappel courtyard and a keep and think 700 will fill it?

^
    Why making houses bigger and bigger of you can not increase the furniture limit?
    Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.Lewis Carroll
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaisernick wrote: »

^
    Why making houses bigger and bigger of you can not increase the furniture limit?

It's a psychological marketing ploy called perceived value. "Look at all the property you're getting for your money! It's so BIG! More bang for your buck!" They're selling you the sizzle instead of the steak, because they know there's no way you can make full use of it with the current limits. People are more likely to think a giant property is worth more than a small property, and to further reinforce the stereotype, they artificially lower the furnishing cap on smaller properties to increase the perception of value..... even though a small or medium house would handle the arbitrary 700 item limit as well or better than a mansion with even more static assets to render.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • FrumpyCourage
    FrumpyCourage
    ✭✭
    Okay, so you cannot/will not increase the cap that currently exists - how about bringing in a new category for houses in which you fit the last two super homes and set the limit for them to 600/1,200? Can't be that difficult, can it? But expecting the Ayleid Ruin and the Castle/Chapel to be decorated with 350/700 is really taking the muffin...
    "You insisted on fighting, do not resent me for dying."
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, so you cannot/will not increase the cap that currently exists - how about bringing in a new category for houses in which you fit the last two super homes and set the limit for them to 600/1,200? Can't be that difficult, can it? But expecting the Ayleid Ruin and the Castle/Chapel to be decorated with 350/700 is really taking the muffin...

Developers can't set higher limits in new bigger houses for the same reason they can't increase limits in existing houses.

I feel that the only possible way to get increased limits is to completely separate different parts of the house into different instances. It may be exterior and interior (those are present in most houses), it may be different interiors (chapel and fort in the new PTS house), it may be different locations (Hall of Lunar Champion and Jode's Embrace being examples of this). That will lead to long loading screens between different parts. That will also lead to the problem of crown store and cluttering of the map (as different parts will technically be different houses, so either it should be possible to buy a bundle of houses or different parts should be available to be bought separately (with or without prerequisite of another part)).

Personally I am not against any of the above-mentioned ways (bundle, two or more purchases), but this will definitely make things harder to understand and this may lead to the increased number of buyer mistakes.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • Alchimiste1
    Alchimiste1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is no excuse. You guys keep releasing larger and larger homes, the new one in blackwood will look empty even with 700/700 furnishings. I can't possibly see any worse performance from doubling or tripling the item limit on furnishings than I do in cyrodiil and people(myself included) still play that. Have the minimum specs changed over the years ? because time has gone by and people have upgraded their systems too , it only makes sense to update things accordingly.
  • Sallymen
    Sallymen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coldharbour Surreal Estate, Moon-sugar Meadows, Shalidor's Shrouded Realm, Daggerfall Outlook, Hunter's Glade, Bastion Sanguinaris, Colossal Aldmeri Grotto, and Grand Psijic villa.

All these houses have so much space with rooms and open plots. And then you added Pantherfang Chapel that has soooo room to decorate and transform. 700 slots is not cutting it anymore, especially with new furnishings that are added every update.
    Current Undaunted Key Count: 4,902
  • Mithrazielle
    I don't think most people realize that the item cap is largely because of the enormous horsepower it takes to do all the lighting- shadowing and so forth. Any given GPU can only do so much. Everything having to do with lighting, from shadow filtering down from the dragon skeleton floating in the sky over your home, to the floating pathways you have that leave shadow trails on the ground.

The staggering amount of effort it takes to slice a world up, draw it, and light it and shadow it- when you have hundreds of items that can be viewed from any angle (so all 3 dimensions must always be checked- no assumptions that save compute time).

In my primary home, I probably use over 200 objects- just to create pathways and rooms that float, because hey- Sorceres just are *THAT COOL*.
  • kinguardian
    kinguardian
    ✭✭✭✭
    So many good ideas and good arguments that can actually help.
    I really want to buy more houses and spent time filling them up but not if I can only do a quarter of the house.

A lot of things do not make sense and they have been mentioned in this thread so devs could you please give an answer to them?

Again people want to spent money and time on your game which in the end is your goal soooooo............
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do want the furnishing cap increasing significantly and got excited by the thread title thinking something had been announced. In the defence of the current limits though, if you look how the world areas are furnished, generally there is a lot less than your average home owner would put in there. I really want the limits raised though.
  • MattVH
    MattVH
    ✭✭✭
    Words can't describe how much i'd like a furnishing cap increase. I've played every aspect of this game and actively enjoy most of it. There's so much that i'd like to see, but a furnishing cap increase would be on the top of my list. Hands down.

My Ald Velothi Harbor house has been maxed out ever since 2017. It's not even that densely decorated. New furnishings keep getting implemented every DLC, at an impressive rate. There's also a hugely crowded storage box of all the antiquities in said house :persevere:

Hopefully the minimum setups struggling isn't too much of an issue anymore soon.

(if 700 furnishings in one spot is possible, can we get that for every house at least? :p)
  • daniel.13b16_ESO
    daniel.13b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I would like an item in the guild store that increases the furniture limit for non subscribers. Subscribers still get double the slots for all houses, while nn subscribers could buy additonal slots only applicable to one house. It would not take anything away from having ESO+
  • RussianAsgard
    RussianAsgard
    ✭✭✭
    If the consoles don't have the power to handle homes with a lot of items, why not just split the slot limit for pc and consoles? why not just raise the limit separately for pc by increasing the hardware requirements
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linblack wrote: »
    If the consoles don't have the power to handle homes with a lot of items, why not just split the slot limit for pc and consoles? why not just raise the limit separately for pc by increasing the hardware requirements

Because that would be admitting that the PC version of the game is being "dumbed down" because of console limitations.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    M21112 wrote: »
    with the new NPC (house guests) we need more slots for collectibles, its really unsatisfying, raising it to at least 10 (20 with eso plus) will make it more suitable, I really wish if we could see that in the future :smile:

This. If normal slots can't be upgraded because they don't want to, at least special collectible slots could be raised. There are many pets, mounts and guests to diaplay!
  • frompa
    frompa
    ✭✭
    umi9dftuz344.jpg
  • 414NotFound
    A lot of good and interesting contributions to this topic. I think much of the concern with furnishing limits is due to having to stack items for an effect - lighting, shelves for steps, produce in baskets, etc. Here are some items from my wish list.

Light bleed between floors, through walls.

What causes this and can it be fixed?

More consistent light intensity, spread of similar lighting elements.

Indoril candles are crazy weak. Small psijic globes are brighter than large ones despite being unlocked sooner and costing less to craft. Braziers and lanterns seem to have wildly varying properties despite being of similar size, causing me to choose function over a form that best compliments my theme. Alternatively, I've had to 'amplify' lighting by burying a source in a nearby surface, increasing item count and causing light bleed.

Preview in situ.

It would be wonderful to observe the scale and properties of furnishings in the space before buying.

Greater variety of building components.

I'd like to build a stone walkway with bookshelves around the throne area in Ebonheart Chateau. I wish there was a 'dark elf stone platform' or even a dark stone block that was a similar size and shape of the square statue base. Just something other than high-school wood shop pallet platforms. The dark elf style retaining wall components seen through Deshaan would be cool, too.

Stairs!

Please. Please! The Alinor, Markarth, Elsweyr, and Solitude stairs aren't great for wooden homes, terrible for second story applications because of the deep foundation, and just don't match a lot of homes. Simple wooden stairs and steps would be a great start. We shouldn't have to ramp everywhere with argonian lattice.

Planks.

Ah, the humble plank. It's the most elementary wooden component. There's 'rough plank, long' but no other lengths? I use them to cap the uneven ends of Elsweyr platforms and to make homemade stairs walkable. Please offer shorter planks.