The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Rink of Frozen Blood - deathfest

Zama666
Zama666
✭✭✭✭
Hello,

Trying a Maelstrom for the first time (non vet) in Wrothgar.
It was going well until the Rink of Frozen Blood - the last boss. My health basically disappears super fast when the giant destroys the ice platform I am on. I try to run to to others, but sometime there are none. I don't have enough heal burst to keep me alive.

So what's the trick?

Tanks!
  • Arbit
    Arbit
    ✭✭✭✭
    The other rinks are being destroyed by the trolls. Gotta keep an eye on them so you have other rinks to go to when she destroys a platform.
    Argonian Master Race
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So you need to interrupt the troll who spawns in a middle when he smashes the platform, or alternatively just kill him right away. Giantess smashes platforms on a percentage of her health so be sure to move away before she done it as it's a one shot mechanics. Just take you time killing adds, burning her super fast can wipe you pretty much.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have much more to add, it's as the others have said. You need to keep an eye on the platforms that you're not on to prioritize the smashy troll. The boss is meant to destroy the platforms but the troll isn't. It can be very frustrating when the troll runs to a platform miles away from you. He always spawns in the middle though, so best to get him then.
    PC | EU
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »
    Hello,

Trying a Maelstrom for the first time (non vet) in Wrothgar.
    It was going well until the Rink of Frozen Blood - the last boss. My health basically disappears super fast when the giant destroys the ice platform I am on. I try to run to to others, but sometime there are none. I don't have enough heal burst to keep me alive.

So what's the trick?

Tanks!

This level is a LOT harder than the ones that came before it. The next two are similarly hard. Fortunately, the last two are NOT as hard; while the last one is said to be a beast in vet mode, it's pretty easy in non-vet.

As people said, you absolutely have to stop the troll from platform smashes in the last-boss round. Also, it helps to leave the platform you're on BEFORE the boss smashes it. The cold damage from being in the water is unavoidable, but being on the platform when it's destroyed gives extra damage you can do without.

I forget the exact figures, but the boss does her smashing around the times she hits 2/3 and 1/3 health.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on April 18, 2021 2:40AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unlike the previous rounds, this round isn't a DPS race. You actually don't want to burn the Giantess boss before the final platform.

You've got three ice platforms, whoch the Giantess will break at certain health percentages and you want to kill the Giantess on the third one. The platforms can also be broken by trolls, so if one of them shows up, prioritize them.

The idea is to do steady damage to the Giantess while you deal with the trolls and waves of adds. I think the add waves may also be based on the boss' health, IIRC, but I'm not 100% sure. As soon as she starts her jumping to break the platform, I move to the next, finishing on the platform with the two sigils. On the last platform, it's finally time for the DPS burn.

If you haven't been using the sigils, it's a good idea to use them strategically in this fight. I save the island with the two sigils for the last Island so I can grab free offense/defense and just focus on burning down the Boss. Earlier in the fight, having the speed sigil helps for getting to the next island quickly, and healing is just nice for if the adds pile up.

So as odd as it sounds, I'd try slowing down the pace of the fight. You don't have to kill the Giantess quickly. Pay more attention to the trolls, the waves of adds, and the combat cues when she's about to break a platform so you can move to the next one until you get to the last platform left.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @VaranisArano is dead-on. Check out a guide (either Joy's or Alcast) for more details. As mentioned, final boss mechanics are based on percentages of the boss' health, not a time limit, so burning too fast will kill you. While it seems frantic, you have the time to target adds instead of the boss. In fact, when you move to vet, you must target the adds first or they will kill you.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    That was all super helpful. Had no idea what was going on in the timing.

I thought the water was killing me faster than I could heal, and at one point, there are no platforms.

Guess I have to watch the trolls. And AOE the giant down. All about the adds, eh?

But when I do burn the Giant down....am I going to be able to kill them fast enough before that platform goes...

Cool round...finally a round that does not depend on pure DPS...

This Maelstrom thing made me sweat!

Tanks for the advice every1!

• El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Zama666 You need all 3 ice floes to stay intact until the boss breaks them to beat the boss on both normal and vet. The water will kill you on vet if you stand in it for more than running between floes, and usually does a lot of damage on normal, especially if you are in range on the smash by the boss. Try to save your ulti for the last floe, but if you need to, drop it early and regenerate it for the last floe. You really want one for the last floe on vet.

So the basics are start on the platform with the speed sigil, AOE the boss down to 75% while paying attention to the 2 adds that spawn AND the troll in the middle. That troll will usually try to run and smash the ice to the left (the one with the defense and power sigils). DO NOT chase the troll to another floe as the boss will follow you. Range it down, you should have enough firepower to do that, they are not that strong. You MUST focus the troll over everything else when it pops up. They are on a timer and will continue to spawn until the round is over.

At 75% the boss will smash the first floe. You should probably start running away to the second floe (the one with the health sigil) around 80-77% and have your DOTs finish the damage down to 75%. You don't want to leave too early or the boss will follow you. Waiting too long will have you end up in the damage zone of the smash.

Do the same thing on the second floe. Focus adds, watch for trolls, burn the boss down to 45%. The archers and mages are your second priority over the troll. They will pack a lot of damage when you go to vet. Again, you can leave early, between 50-47%. Run to the last floe.

On the last floe, grab both sigils and focus the boss. Some adds will kill themselves because of the defense sigil, the others will pack up around the boss, drop all your AOEs and focus the boss.

A good move is to practice kiting on this boss as you will do it a lot on the final stage with the Crematorial Guards. Run around her in a circle to avoid her primary club attack while being able to target the add you want. You will do the opposite on the last level where you will run around in a circle around the target (the guard) to avoid its breath while targeting the guard.

Good luck! I found Level 5 to be the hardest when first going through VMA. Turns out Levels 6 and 7 are harder
    Edited by El_Borracho on April 26, 2021 8:09PM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Zama666 So the basics are start on the platform with the speed sigil, AOE the boss down to 75% while paying attention to the 2 adds that spawn

The essentials are:
    • Kill trollbreakers at all costs.
    • Burn the boss fast enough once you're on the last platform.

Also pretty basic:
    • Prioritize adds over the boss.
    • Leave the first two platforms shortly before the boss breaks them.

The sigil stuff is just a particular idea that can help, especially with the final burn, which many players don't bother with.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on April 26, 2021 8:01PM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Zama666 So the basics are start on the platform with the speed sigil, AOE the boss down to 75% while paying attention to the 2 adds that spawn

The essentials are:

Also pretty basic:

The sigil stuff is just a particular idea that can help, especially with the final burn.

I think the leaving the platform early part is a huge boon to surviving. You can time it so you are already on the other island before the boss starts the mechanic. And he will walk back to the island you were on to break it, giving you more time to prep or take out adds before he makes it back.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

The essentials are:

Also pretty basic:

The sigil stuff is just a particular idea that can help, especially with the final burn.

I think the leaving the platform early part is a huge boon to surviving. You can time it so you are already on the other island before the boss starts the mechanic. And he will walk back to the island you were on to break it, giving you more time to prep or take out adds before he makes it back.

Absolutely. Trying to squeeze out that last ounce of damage usually results in being killed.

Once I realized it wasn't a DPS race, that level got so much easier
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just learned this on vet and it's the same on non vet and so did some research and had help from forum peeps, here is what i do.

I get on the island that has the wings for fast movement I lay a ranged DOT where he spawn, the boss comes directly to me and I do whatever dmg I can before he starts to smash the island. (watch for trolls but usually they don't come out right away). As soon as he starts heading to me i grab the wing thingies and lay a DOT on him and run to the next island the one WITHOUT the extra damage and shield one. When I get there i grab the healing thing and then start hammering away at him. Watching for the troll all the while, if the troll goes the island I'm NOT on i hit him with a ranged interrupt or try and range kill him. The boss won't dmg that island we are on till he's at a certain health I think 50% so just take your time. Right BEFORE he gets to 50% I lay another DOT on him then run to the last island, I grab the shield and the dmg and then lay my ultimate on him and everything I've got till he is dead.

BTW you can google Deltias walkthroughs for each stage his videos are awesome.
    Edited by Veinblood1965 on April 26, 2021 8:44PM
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ahh yes good old memories D
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons