The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Hybrid Build for PVE

sollo_0
sollo_0
I have an empty character slot and im thinking of making a hybrid build. Im currently leaning towards a hybrid sorc. what are the things i need to consider when building a hybrid character? I dont expect to take it to vet trials, maybe normal trials.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's a few big bits of help I can offer here.

The biggest thing to consider is that you need to buff multiple identical forms of offensive attributes simultaneously, and some parts of the game make it hard.

Example: crit surge gives major sorcery and major brutality; great! Both major damages covered. Mundane stones like thief and lover will be more useful (group composition depending) than things like warrior, as thief boosts both physical and spell crit chance. Luckily, I believe penetration is penetration now; that makes your job much easier. Instead of sets like hunding or julianos, run ancient dragonguard. Running two crafted sets and a strong monster helmet might be a good idea (look into zaan if you're in melee, or maw of the infernal if you're ranged).

Maelstrom fire staff back bar is really potent, lightning is also good if you prefer the aesthetic (even on full fledged Stam builds. It's that good). Infused with weapon damage increase is a great idea.

Crit chance and damage are your best bets for increasing all damage really high. Khajiit, dunmer, both very good choices.

Armor will be tough. Thankfully zos removed benefits for 5 pieces only. I'd have to do the math on efficacy of how many pieces of what weight will benefit you, but 4-3 split isn't a bad plan to begin with now. 5-2 if you're only using the off resource for dots.

Whatever your front bar weapon restores should be your spammable's resource. Ie if you go dual daggers front, make your spammable a stamina attack. That way you can always weave to maintain that resource. Dots can be refreshed after 10 seconds, giving you 5 regen ticks to play with in most situations. You can also use dual wield with one stamina drain, one mag drain enchant to help with your sustain.

Edited: jewelry will be odd to enchant. I've found success with 1x weapon and spell, 1 of cost reduction for main bar resource. You may find you do more damage from one attribute; buff that one. Ie if your dots are 60+ percent of your dps, and all magic, buff those with a second spell power enchant.

Edited: best food, I've found, is either tri stat or, if you're feeling bold, Stam/mag foods. Keep an eye on your HP, if you don't die often then you have enough.

Edited: CP are better spent in anything that buffs ALL damage, such as direct/dots rather than adding chance to apply martial/elemental status effects or add stam/mag (outside of the passive cps that do that, of course).

Lastly, keep your head held high. Lots of people will tell you your build is garbage, but if they have standards of 40k dps in a normal trial, well, perhaps they need to go do vets with likeminded individuals.
    Edited by DocFrost72 on April 15, 2021 3:32AM
  • sollo_0
    sollo_0
    wow thank you for a very informative response! there's alot more to think about than I expected.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight aand Nightblade are also good hybrid options. Both have a lot of abilities that scale with the highest damage stat, instead of their ressource related one. Or they have passives, that boost both martial and magical playstyles at the same time.

Or you can use the Pelinals Aptitude Set and only stack into weapon damage. It is the classic Hybrid set.

I guess, whatever you fancy, you can make it happen. 👍
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Scardan
    Scardan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't tanks hybrids? Many have like 10 in magicka, something else in stamina and rest into the health, use magical weapons and normal ones.
    Let's be extremely precise in our use of terms.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Templar could also be a nice hybrid, a Dunmer Stamplar with Jabs, Barbed Trap, Ritual of Retribution and Mystic Orbs would be pretty strong for example. You could even add Shooting Star as ulitmate and Consuming Trap.
    Edited by Septimus_Magna on April 15, 2021 9:38AM
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My main is Breton stamDk (I created this character, when started playing ESO, with no idea what I'm doing :P). After long time of playing pure stamina I got bored and created half-hybrid fun build for overland which with CP 2.0 is even quit good. I benefit from Breton race, because even with base stat at stamina, I have more magicka, mag regen and lower cost of magicka abilities. It's just perfect for this build. I play still pure stamina in serious content, so I have all point in stamina and most morphs are stamina ones (this is why I called it "half-hybrid"). From class skills I only changed claws to burning embers - maybe it's lower damage, but dks are have problems with self healing, so this a good trade for me (in group content when I can depend on healer and play as stamina, I just use other skills).

Gear is nothing fancy - Pellinal which is great on dks, beacuse we can good passives for buffing weapon damage, so when buffed I have 5000+ weapon/spell damage, Briarheart for weapon damage and self healing and of course Valkyn Skoria. Front bar is 2h sword and backbar flame staff. Visually this is so awesome build - with a lot of dots, fire and meteors, eniemies just melts in flame mayhem. Is a bit lower dps than normal build, but also have almost infinite sustain with 3-stat food (when magicka or stamina is low, you just use skills based on other resource).

What I love in this build is fact that I can use it without relocating CP or atributties/skills. I just use addon to one-button switch gear/active skills and that's it.

PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • Avrael
    Avrael
    ✭✭✭✭
    Before i open another thread on this imma just respond here. :D
    Im thinking about making my sorcerer a hybrid too, even tho the game REALLY isnt laid out for that, but i wanna try to make my Greatsword + Lighting Staff vision a reality, at least for "casual" content, i too am aware that i wont be able to run vet trials with it. But i still wanna try to make it AS good as it can possibly get.

Its already clear that i will use a crafted 2h weapon on front, and lighting maelstrom staff on back, but the biggest thinking point now are the sets. The best options would probably be what others already said, either Pelinal where you would boost only one dmg type, or Dragonguard for both types. Maybe even New-Moon Acolyte, which gives 100 more of both dmg types, but increases all costs by 5%, MAYBE a sorc could handle that if its worth it.
    Also maybe there are more good hybrid sets that i missed, i only started playing recently again, i stopped before graymoor came out, and started again like 2 weeks before Blackwood came out. Twiceborn Star was a good set a long time ago, but im guessing even for hybrid thats not really viable now?

The question now is, whats better? Boosting only one damage type but having to use Pelinals which doesnt give you much stats by itself, or boosting both and use dragonguard which GIVES you 300 of both dmg types? And what armor types would be really the best? Because i plan on going stamina frontbar, im thinking rn 5 medium 1 heavy helmet 1 light shoulder? Also because i like the movement speed from medium armor and that it doesnt have penalties like the other 2 types, and its a bit more survivable then light. But maybe someone says light or even heavy will be the best, so id rather ask before i build anything.

I already tried to use a greatsword as pure magicka, with the arterial burst spammable from vampire, and while i already liked that, i dont think vampire is good enough. I LOVE the sneak speed and the invisibility while sprinting of it, but... basically everything else is a negative now, alone the 24% increase in other ability costs is not maintainable on stage 4. And if you dont stay stage 4, you might as well not be a vampire id say. So rn im not, and sadly sorc doesnt have own magicka spammables besides crystal frags, and i didnt like the cast time together with a greatsword because of the melee range, so imma go away from magicka spammables and try hybrid.
    "I mustache you a question."
    "Well shave it for later."
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have played a lot with my Dunmer Necro hybrid in heavy armour (real TES sorcerer ;) with lightning staff + S&B. It helped me a lot in soloing first world bosses & solo dungeons on normal & vet.

The worst thing, when it comes to hybrids is imho limited amount of stamina & magicka, which impact dmg of your skills & your sustain (that is also partially to armour). So the way to avoid that is to make build focusing purely on Light & Heavy Attacks - this will help with dmg & sustain. Both dps Undaunted sets would cummulate to quite nice bonus and if you will add MA staff, you can get really good results. Or second option, you can also cummulate weapon damage from medium armour & FG skills and use Pelinal.

Btw. to my surprise, this settings also work in pvp, although I am using Seargeant which give me nice survivability and really good punch, eating 50% of enemy HP at once ^^
    Edited by Ippokrates on June 23, 2021 4:59PM
  • Avrael
    Avrael
    ✭✭✭✭
    I now have made 3 parts jewelery and a greatsword from the pelinal set, because i can probably just stack pure weapon damage higher then balancing both types. However, i think ive made a mistake and would have to craft shoulders and helmet of pelinal, because my backbar weapon is the MA staff, and there i wont get the pelinal bonus. The good part is, that i can leave the jewelery purple without lowering the big setbonus, probably even blue would have been enough for now.

When i do that, i cant use a monster set tho, and stormfist is like made for hybrid sorc. But i could use another arena weapon on the frontbar, but i have no 2h one so far. Ill probably just make one from a set with weapon damage as first set bonus for now, and craft the helmet and shoulders of pelinal.

But so far im already liking playing as hybrid, while both ressources regen slower now, you can use both. I mainly use magicka for buffs and dots now, and stamina for direct dmg, so in the time im on the front bar and spam, the magicka on the back can regenerate, if im not using it all for spamming my shield. Also, that scales with my magicka, so i keep my magicka at 18,7k and mag regen at 1,1k with food, and stamina at 27k and regen also at 1,1k with attributes and glyphs, for now, im betting theres a better distribution of stats, but im a pleb and completley new to hybrids. But buffed i have 5,7k weap dmg, and when i craft the right pieces of pelinal now, ill have that as spell dmg as well, so thats pretty nice... i think. c:

At least for overworld and worldbosses, this so far seems viable, and more importantly, pretty fun.
    "I mustache you a question."
    "Well shave it for later."
  • Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are also possibilities to consider even if you put all skill points in one attribute. I have all in stam on my warden main, but I consider that toon kind of a hybrid because they are set up to be able to tank (anything other than vet trials and some of the harder vet dungeons) or dps. Also, as DPS I run ice comet as primary ult, a very underrated option now for stamwardens, I think, given the way ults scale now and the class passives for extra damage to chilled enemies. It makes me feel like it's a hybrid toon when it drops that ice comet. I really dislike companions/pets, so I find it is a fun alternative to the bear. Ice comet is slightly less damage in really long bullet-sponge boss fights because of the bear execute bonus, but actually more damage in shorter fights. So there are good hybrid options if you think a little outside the box.
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    I currently have a Dunmer magplar that uses a 2H as main weapon (channeled focus+brawler+LA/punctures the usual attack combo). I's a hybrid in my view for it used NMA all 3 weights. After several attempts I adopted old good llabris light and mother's sorrow for weapon and gems.
    It goes great with most solo content, though it's far behind my main true magplar.

On PTS I've also tried somehow bizarre experiment: bosmer magplar, 5 red mountain, 4 Stygian and 2h and necklace willpower.
    Strange to say, it works. Can solo most WB and is a beast to farm overland content.