The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Blight that is Style Pages, and How to Rectify It

Zulera301
Zulera301
✭✭✭✭✭
This is probably a bit late to the party but in hindsight it's also important. It's no mystery that anyone who has been actively participating in the event has found themselves inundated with style pages from last year (Jeph.Pal) and the years before (Companion styles) on top of this new one, Imperial Champion. While they are inherently fine on their own, the drop rate is much too high considering how much of an inconvenience they are. Any novelty they might have had gets stripped within the first 12 hours or so, and right now even there are literal thousands of listings in guild stores for pittance prices.

Now I get that it's prudent to make sure these styles are readily available to everyone, it has also created a multitude of problems due to the way style pages work. Firstly, thank you thank you THANK YOU for making these style pages stack. At least if I have over 450 Imperial Champion Style Pages, that it only takes up 10 slots of my guild bank, but this is not so with the others. Let's back up and look at the multitude of problems this creates:

1. The style pages exclusive to this event can be bought at the Impresario, and with the plethora of easy tickets during this event, the threat of missing out on even one page is negligible if you're active. HOWEVER, the style motif (Worm Cult) that is available only from this event, has a pitiful drop rate (I've gotten 7 pages from a sample size of almost 2500. It was the same way last year and the year before as well). On top of that, Imperial Champion only has 10 styles, while Worm Cult has 14, AND an achievement tied to it.
1a. In fine, Worm Cult is also much too rare for how limited it is. This is problematic. at the VERY least, if it's divided between Companion Styles, Jephrene Paladin, and Imperial Champion, then it should have a 25% chance of dropping.
1b. Ergo, let's say that there's a 50% chance of a "bonus" drop, where said bonus is one of the event-exclusive motifs/style pages. From that 50% chance, it should have a 1 in 4 chance of being Companion, Jephrene, Champion, or Worm Cult. Based on my sample sizes of this year (but also past years) as well the mountains of style pages plaguing my accounts, it's more like 33-33-33-1. although 1% honestly feels pretty generous for the drop rate of Worm Cult motifs at this point.
1c. By contrast, the style material( desecrated Grave Soil) drops like parade candy. And it's a whole lot of useless to the 98% of players that don't known Worm Cult motifs due to their staggering and increased rarity.

2. While Imperial Champion style pages stack, the previous style pages do not. sure we could maybe suffer through Jephrene Paladin since there's only like 11 or 12 different styles there, but for the four companions, we've got 28 different pages, and NONE OF THEM STACK. this is why people are giving them away in droves, dumping them off on people, or even just destroying them altogether.
2a. On that note, the fact that players are literally DESTROYING them shows that it's part of the problem. They're supposed to be a reward, but they feel like a punishment, since they can't stack, and you can't even bank them. Is this some sort of sales pitch to hit the crown store to buy all the bag space and bank space? because even those of us who have that all maxed out are still finding these pages to be too cumbersome for our inventories.
2b. with how blighted common they are, they might as well be that dull grey colour that "Trash" items are, if nothing else to save us from typing out "DESTROY" every time we get rid of them (for those who don't "mark as junk" > "destroy all junk" instead).

3. For the love of Auri-El, WHY CAN'T THESE BE BANKED? We can mail them and guild bank them, but we can't stack them or consolidate them into a single bank or even a single character. They're not "unique items" like treasure maps, there's nothing about player banks that should prevent them from being allowed to go in there... what is the reason?
3a. Since newer style pages stack, how hard is it to retcon the old ones and make it so they stack too? it would reduce the blight by at least about 40%.

SO TO RECAP: here are the problems with style pages as things currenly are:
1. they drop WAY too often
1a. Worm Cult doesn't drop nearly enough
2. they don't stack
3. they can't be banked
4. it is very difficult to get rid of them

And the solutions are simple:
1. HEAVILY nerf the drop rate. at the very least, to about 5-10% of what it currently is. Next to no one would complain, and most people would still be able to likely complete their collection and have plenty to pass out to new players.
2. Make the old pages stack. While this would be like applying a band-aid to the wound, it would still be better than nothing, and at least would have a hard cap of how many inventory slots it could take up
3. Make them bankable. Seriously, there's literally no reason why they can't be banked. There's not really a nicer way to say it, but that is downright stupid.
4. If absolutely nothing else, just demote them to dark grey (common trash, in line with how frequently they drop and are discarded), to save some of us some time in getting rid of them
5. Or ideally... all of the above.

Also, Worm Cult drop rate too low. From a sample size of nearly 3700, I only got 8 pages. Let that sink in.

I am happy to discuss/debate any and all aspects of this post/thread, or would love to hear what's ZOS's stance on this subject, given the point it's reached.
Edited by Zulera301 on April 15, 2021 9:06PM
Shortly after the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a Nord woman was given a tour of the Tribunal Temple. When later asked about the experience, she seemed upset. Suffice to say, the Dunmer were not pleased to hear this, and thus they inquired further.
"Well," the Nord frowned, "the priests were very angry and unwelcoming. They kept shouting things at me like "you can't drink that mead in here!" and "somebody stop her, she's running naked!" and "we can't catch her; she's covered in grease!""
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree, especially with the bank part, but the continued large amount of drops of the banners in the Jester's event doesn't give me much hope... unless that is supposed to be a joke.

I care least about drop rate if other things are addressed.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The drop rate for the style pages was obscene and served to dilute an already watered-down event; I figure it was about 6-8 style pages for other types (motifs/furnishing plans).

Given the worm cult motif only drops during the event and there are considerably more motifs and furnishing plans, too, that particular motif drop-rate should have been increased.

I envy those who saw the event for what it really was: solely an opportunity to grind cp with the xp boost.

• Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just delete them and move on. Just because they are gold in color, doesn't make them worth saving.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been deleting them since day 4 or so of the event.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too feel like they drop too much until I remember that not everyone has 18 characters to do writs on every day.
    So while the drop rate might seem excessive to me and those that do 100+ dailies a day, to someone that only has a couple of characters and not as much time, it still gives them a chance to complete the sets.
    Beta tester November 2013
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    I too feel like they drop too much until I remember that not everyone has 18 characters to do writs on every day.
    So while the drop rate might seem excessive to me and those that do 100+ dailies a day, to someone that only has a couple of characters and not as much time, it still gives them a chance to complete the sets.

Except that there's such a glut of them that players can't sell them or give them away and guild banks are choked with them. As OP stated they are listed on guild traders for a pittance and are also available from the impressario for tickets.

Styles, too, are per account while motifs/plans are per character; worm cult motif - and associated per character achievement - are essentially only obtainable during/via this event.

But got to 'Stuga' the crown store style set completion.

• Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »

I feel like at their drop rate and the prices it results in - it gives people a chance to complete them even if they are not spamming crafting writs on every alt. if they were changed to stack and be bankable a lot of the issues with space would be solved while still making them available for everyone.

that said... the problem here is two fold. as often as they drop... wormcult does NOT. and even as someone that does crafting writs etc on every alt, its near impossible to complete full set of wormcult at its current drop rates - at least not without paying actualy high prices at traders (unlike yellow style pages that can be afforded at approximately finishing two quests or vendoring some white loot - per page). someone who doesn't do writs every day on 18 characters? well... wormcult is even more impossible. so evening out the drop rates on gold style pages AND wormcult pages - would be helpful for everyone, but ESPECIALY for people who are not doing 100+ dailies a day. you know?
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worm Cult had an absurdly low drop rate. Definitely.

At this point I think they should retire all the pages and put them in a grab bag next year
    Edited by spartaxoxo on April 15, 2021 5:08AM
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It’s not a hard problem to solve at all, just let us sell them to merchants for like 500 gold each.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Solution go to the start islands and give them away free to newbies :smile:
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark as junk and mass delete <3
    Edited by Mayrael on April 15, 2021 5:43AM
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »
    Mark as junk and mass delete <3

I've been taking them out of our guild banks and doing just that! I'm done trying to sell the excessive amounts of these things off for pittance prices. Nobody reads the MOTD's where we've asked them to stop depositing the damn things!
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ ʀʋʟɨʄɛ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    Pacrooti's Hirelings Website:
    pacrootis.enjin.com/

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
    ESO Plus status: Canceled!
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oooor instead of relying on pure RNG, can we have increased chance for the game to drop style pages we DON'T know already, so a crafter character would have increased chance to learn NEW motif, and an alt character could have doubles ?
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MerguezMan wrote: »
    Oooor instead of relying on pure RNG, can we have increased chance for the game to drop style pages we DON'T know already, so a crafter character would have increased chance to learn NEW motif, and an alt character could have doubles ?

Edited for Shame!
    Edited by SteveCampsOut on April 15, 2021 6:23AM
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ ʀʋʟɨʄɛ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    Pacrooti's Hirelings Website:
    pacrootis.enjin.com/

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
    ESO Plus status: Canceled!
  • KalyanLazair
    KalyanLazair
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been actively playing the event, doing plenty of daily quests aside from the crafting quests on all of my 9 characters. I've gotten a total of THREE worm cult pages in the whole event. THREE. Before the Oblivion-take-them yellow pages I would easily get at least ONE motif per character (in average) making it somewhere around 9-10 pages PER DAY in average. That's how I've been completing some collections I didn't actively pursue like the ones related to Cyro. This event I've been literally DROWNED in the yellow things, and I've been getting an average of 1-4 motifs per day, with whole days not getting a single one at all even after doing more quests than I've ever done in the past.

This was, by far, my favorite event because of all the goods I could get, and this year's has been heavily disappointing. I've been selling the stuff for like 10 gold and I've been destroying them like there was no tomorrow, and I'm still full of the things. This was just way, way, way too much.

I understand the commentary about new players, and I agree, they should have a chance to get the style pages as well, but considering that TTC has about 6-7 pages of items listed at 1 gold coin, people have been destroying them, there are items listed by the THOUSANDS and people don't want the things anymore, I'd say the drop rate has been way, way too high.

For the record, I bought the three Worm Cult pages I was still missing, one of which was the chest piece which is the most expensive one, but oh well. After many years I've finally completed the set. Maybe not making the things as rare as the Worm Cult, but it wouldn't hurt to make them rare enough that it actually takes some effort to complete the collections.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can buy the missing worm cult pages or trade them with other players.
    The Moot Councillor
  • snoozy
    snoozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    step 1: absurdly high drop rate for style pages that take up inventory space

step 2: also throw tons of crafting materials at people (which also clog up inv.)

step 3: PROFIT by selling more eso+ subscriptions because people need the craft bag and double bank space

working as intended by zos, i'd say B)
    PC EU
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall, I was quite happy with the event, enjoyed getting extra materials, motifs, furnishing plans and recipes and buying the motifs and plans I didn’t get but wanted at a lower price from guild stores! :)

To address the points brought up by the OP, I do agree that it would have been preferable for the style page drop rate to be much lower. (For context, this was my first Jubilee event although I had many of the style pages already from my guilds, and I generally got 70-80 boxes each day, mostly from crafting writ and zone dailies.) It only took a few days for me to have all the style pages collected, old and new, and for guild banks to be full of them. Personally, I felt the drop rate was right for the Regal Regalia and the Ordinator pages, where they still had value to trade with other players, sell, even buy with tickets if there was nothing else one wanted.

By contrast, I felt the Worm Cult motif pages were just right; I started the event with none collected, got about half the set from boxes, completed it from traders, and have a few duplicate pages which I am saving to sell later.

I am definitely not complaining as it is impossible for the droprate of anything to be as such to please everyone. I did get an overabundance of style pages and I didn’t get aetherial dust or cyphers (but no disappointment as I wasn’t expecting to) but got a lot of materials useful to me and lots of motifs and furnishing plans which I didn’t have or can sell and I achieved Grandmaster Crafter. :blush:
  • Zulera301
    Zulera301
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also for clarity, I obtained all of the worm cult pages the first year they debuted, back before we were hit with this Umbral Calamity that is the influx of style pages.

And while yes I understand that we can just mark as junk and mass destroy, part of my whole point was that these are supposed to be *rewards*. I can kind of get the jester banners being a pain in the butt because that could be taken as a joke given the theme of that event. But these are items that are supposed to be considered rare and rewarding which was why they were at the Impersario during their respective debut years.

I could give ZOS the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to an error, similar to how unusually high the drop rate for Silken Ring was back in 2018. But unlike Silken Ring (which was actually worth something), it, like all other purple motifs, was useful, could stack, and could be banked.

Remind me to voice this in 2022 when anniversary jubilee hits the PTS again.
    Shortly after the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a Nord woman was given a tour of the Tribunal Temple. When later asked about the experience, she seemed upset. Suffice to say, the Dunmer were not pleased to hear this, and thus they inquired further.
    "Well," the Nord frowned, "the priests were very angry and unwelcoming. They kept shouting things at me like "you can't drink that mead in here!" and "somebody stop her, she's running naked!" and "we can't catch her; she's covered in grease!""
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zulera301 wrote: »

Also, Worm Cult drop rate too low.

This is am issue and it gets dilluted even further with new stuff being added each year.
  • Zulera301
    Zulera301
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really is. My sample size was almost 3,700 (3,696 to be exact) and I have a grand total of only 8 (eight) Worm Cult motifs.

I'm really glad I was here in 2018 before the outfit system blight was a thing, because that was the only year where you could feasibly get them all without gutting your bank.

I mean sure I'm in the top 1% with nearly 108m to my name, so I could throw down for several sets... But I'm pretty sure I'm an exception, not a rule.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    (rant)
    I like this event because of the mats and the motifs. This time, I disliked being drowned with estimated 1.4k style pages. I received far far fewer motifs compared to previous years.

My characters can benefit from learning motifs since only a few know a lot. Once a style page is learned, getting a fifty to hundred more each is useless for the entire account and useless for others since all of us were drowning in style pages.

The immense amount of style pages left an ugly stain on what is usually a very nice event.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Tensar
    Tensar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Worm cult drop rate is fine. You want everything easily ? It's one of the few motifs of the game who don't have a ruined price on the market.

Page style from anniversary shouldn't drop anymore, it should be collector (but still possible to buy/sell it in trading guild, so news players could buy it if they want)

• Zulera301
    Zulera301
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tensar wrote: »
    Worm cult drop rate is fine. You want everything easily ? It's one of the few motifs of the game who don't have a ruined price on the market.

Page style from anniversary shouldn't drop anymore, it should be collector (but still possible to buy/sell it in trading guild, so news players could buy it if they want)

8 in 3700 is not a fine drop rate. Maybe if they were available more than 2 weeks out of the year, (like Minotaur) but otherwise don't be ridiculous.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zulera301 wrote: »
    Tensar wrote: »

8 in 3700 is not a fine drop rate. Maybe if they were available more than 2 weeks out of the year, (like Minotaur) but otherwise don't be ridiculous.

That was your drop rate. Others got more. Some got less.

Most people complete their set the first year they participate in the event and then it's not an issue anymore.

As I said, you can buy the extra pages.
    The Moot Councillor