The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Question for magic Templars

Castagere
Castagere
✭✭✭✭✭
After the update will you still be using staves? I have all 3 destruction-type staves and only use one or 2 of their abilities but most just class skills. My dark elf gets a bonus for duel weld which I never tried and I'm curious about it.
Thanks
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Castagere wrote: »
    After the update will you still be using staves? I have all 3 destruction-type staves and only use one or 2 of their abilities but most just class skills. My dark elf gets a bonus for duel weld which I never tried and I'm curious about it.
    Thanks

The reason to run a staff on anything will be because it's Vateshran, and Vateshran is broken...otherwise maul looks good on everything.
  • lQrukl
    lQrukl
    ✭✭✭✭
    The difference is not very significant, but templars are far from the best dps dealers, so you should use any opportunity to raise your dps. I gonna use staves when I need range dps (like vAS or vCR), but give preference to daggers in any other content

• Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah from what I've seen, daggers are going tk be the highest dps for frontbar in p ve, due to the nerfs to crit chance across the board.
    For pvp vate and/brp destro are still going to be bis IMHO.
  • Pallio
    Pallio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 options: Heal or play something else for dps.
  • Scardan
    Scardan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »
    Yeah from what I've seen, daggers are going tk be the highest dps for frontbar in p ve, due to the nerfs to crit chance across the board.

What is with crit being a must have even if it means to lose reliable standart damage? Is critical damage like 10 times higher to justify the need? Or do you somehow get 100% crit chance and always crit?
    Let's be extremely precise in our use of terms.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Scardan wrote: »
    Firstmep wrote: »

What is with crit being a must have even if it means to lose reliable standart damage? Is critical damage like 10 times higher to justify the need? Or do you somehow get 100% crit chance and always crit?

Well on top of then nerfing crit chance across the board, they have been buffing crit damage(or well added more sources of it) lately.
    Why crit? Its the most damage for most setups, plain and simple(for pve).
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm consistently seeing about +1000 dps on parses using daggers. As for game play, that's going to come down to whether or not I need a ranged attack. But since I'm a Sweeps guy, I typically don't.

Still, I find it more than a bit odd that a mag character can do better damage with a dual weld.
  • Wuerstal
    Wuerstal
    ✭✭✭
    Pallio wrote: »
    2 options: Heal or play something else for dps.

Sadly, yes. I really like my magplar but on pts I have worse dps with my most played dps-char (magplar) than for example a z'en dk, necro with catalyst, or a nightblade I haven't even really played yet... Magplars were not that good before, now they are just plain bad. bad sustain, bad dmg, bad flexebility, bad movement options... It's really odd. Only thing they can do now is heal and give minor sorcery....
  • Scardan
    Scardan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lQrukl wrote: »
    The difference is not very significant, but templars are far from the best dps dealers, so you should use any opportunity to raise your dps. I gonna use staves when I need range dps (like vAS or vCR), but give preference to daggers in any other content

Why would you use staff for range instead of bow if you chase higher crit damage ideally? Bow has crit passive too.
  • Kadoozy
    Kadoozy
    ✭✭✭✭

Why would you use staff for range instead of bow if you chase higher crit damage ideally? Bow has crit passive too.

What do you mean? Bow gives weapon critical rating, not spell crit, and no critical damage modifiers. There is no reason a magicka build would want to run it, unless something has changed that I am unaware of.
  • ExistingRug61
    ExistingRug61
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kadoozy wrote: »

What do you mean? Bow gives weapon critical rating, not spell crit, and no critical damage modifiers. There is no reason a magicka build would want to run it, unless something has changed that I am unaware of.

According to the patch notes, bow gives critical chance (both) now not just weapon critical chance.

It doesn’t however give you the increased base damage that dual wield or 2h gives over staff though. I am not sure if the crit chance alone is enough to outweigh the other benefits of staff.
    Edited by ExistingRug61 on March 7, 2021 6:54AM
  • Scardan
    Scardan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kadoozy wrote: »

They give crit chance to both.