Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Medusa vs. Mother's Sorrow

DigiAngel
DigiAngel
✭✭✭✭✭
Well here we are again...another rousing rendition of "which is better". I have Mother's Sorrow (2 light armor, gold, 3 jewelry, epic). The armor have all the right traits, enchantments, the jewelry, only the enchantments (needing bloodthirsty). So...the Medusa will need a fair bit of work...will need new enchantments and traits for all (2 heavy armor, 3 jewelry), will need to epic 2 of the jewelry, and gold the armor. Now...all that being said, as I compare these sets I stand to lose 1096 magicka, and 200 spell critical...all for 10% critical damage. So...is it worth it?
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally you want to have that 10% crit damage from Minor Force regardless of which set you choose. Medusa just saves you the bar slot that would typically be Barbed Trap or Channeled Acceleration. If you have the bar space for these then Sorrow will give slightly higher DPS, but Medusa is really nice for fights where you need to slot a shield or utility skill, or even just to simplify the rotation on a class you're not experienced with. IMO the two sets are very closely balanced.
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks...just what I needed. The mantra I've seen in this forum is "if you can slot it or potion it, do that instead and save the armor for something". However...there's nothing else I'd really put in there besides False God's Devotion...and honesty I doubt I'll ever see that set....not having the DLC (not to mention never being able to get in a trial run group with what I DO have) means it's far away :).
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both sets are getting nerfed in Update 29 in a few weeks, based on the current PTS changes. It's important to note that Medusa is getting nerfed less, so it will be comparatively better with Update 29 (unless more stuff changes). I'm still farming an inferno staff myself >_> But I have characters who I don't slot Minor Force on, so I think it will be worth it
    Edited by tsaescishoeshiner on February 16, 2021 11:30AM
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you don't have access to something like Siroria or Master Architect, there is a set call Spell Strategist you can use effectively with Medusa/MS. Its from Cyrodiil, but readily available through guild traders. A pretty powerful single target set. You'll want the inferno staff, which is not as expensive as it once was. Body pieces are very cheap. Burning Spellweave is another great set, but good luck getting an inferno staff. Its highly elusive.

I hate using Channeled or Trap, so I like the convenience of Medusa and the extra resistance from the 2 heavy pieces. Works very well on a magblade and mag necro who don't have the shields a magsorc does. But I still run MS on my magsorc.
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great advice...thanks all!
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Looking at the stats I always assumed that Mothers Sorrow was a lot better due to the fact that you can get minor force from trap or channeled. As a magsorc I really lack bar space, Mothers Sorrw is getting nerfed and the new mag sets are not really interesting so I might as well try out Medusa.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    new moon acolyte is better than both
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rumple9 wrote: »
    new moon acolyte is better than both

This is not true. NMA makes sustain hard, often gives too much Spell Pen, and still does lower damage than crit sets.
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Increases the cost of your active abilities by 5%. Ya hard pass.
  • notachik
    notachik
    ✭✭✭
    I wander how the false gods would work with nma
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure it's really good..sadly I do not have that DLC yet :(
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    notachik wrote: »

@notachik That was a very popular build about a year ago. Every class would run it on trash, since FGD would return enough Magicka that the cost increase was no problem. MagDK would even use this gear on bosses (Elf Bane wasn’t good yet, and Siroria had a slow ramp-up). A lot of changes killed that meta though:
    - False Gods lost its extra 5pc bonus
    - NMA 5pc was reduced from 481 to 401
    - Penetration buffs (Breach and Alkosh) meant the line of Spell Pen was no longer useful
    - Crit damage buffs (Catalyst, Brittle and Major Force) made high crit chance more valuable, resulting in mandatory Sorrow/Medusa

Edit: Also Siroria was changed to ramp up in 10s instead of 20s, so it can now be used almost anywhere. No reason to even consider NMA compared to that.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on February 23, 2021 8:34PM
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    notachik wrote: »

lemme see, I could have an *% cost reduction or a 3% cost reduction? Depends on how you sustain I guess?
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait what...when did FGD lose it's 5th bonus?

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:False_God's_Devotion

Is that not accurate?
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well...after crunching numbers (and just assuming full sets) depending on how bad the nerf to MS/Medusa are:

Mothers sorrow
    Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka
    Adds 3603 Spell Critical

Medusa
    Adds 3399 Spell Critical
    Gain Minor Force at all times, increasing your Critical Damage by 10%.

Treasure hunter
    Adds 1666 Spell Critical
    Adds 171 Spell Damage, Gain Major Prophecy at all times, increasing your Spell Critical rating by 2629.

Juliano
    Adds 1666 Spell Critical
    Adds 300 Spell Damage

It looks like Juliano/Treasure hunter might be a viable option after all....again, depends on just how bad the nerf is :-/
  • notachik
    notachik
    ✭✭✭
    I’ll keep minor force over treasure hunter..I get prophecy from 2 different skills and pots
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DigiAngel wrote: »
    Wait what...when did FGD lose it's 5th bonus?

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:False_God's_Devotion

Is that not accurate?

@DigiAngel That is accurate. It previously had an additional 129 Spell Damage on the 5pc, so False Gods was mirroring VO. Basically normal FGD had the bonuses we now only see on Perfected FGD, and Perfected FGD had an additional 1096 Max Magicka (making it better than normal VO, as it should be).

These extra bonuses were deleted in Stonethorn patch, August 2020. So IMO False Gods was only a good set for the first 15 months of its existence, and has now been dead/situational for the last 6 months.

Edit: It probably doesn’t sound like much difference from one stat line, but it has a large effect when comparing to other sets. Before Stonethorn you needed to stand in a Siroria circle for 15s before it would begin to outperform False Gods. After Stonethorn Siroria beats False Gods after just 5s within the circle.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on February 23, 2021 10:31PM
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to you both. Ya I feel the same with the effectiveness of Siroria..I've tested out Siroria/MS vs. Juliano/MS...and honestly I just don't see much of a difference....besides having to stand in one place. Same everything else to include skills and head/shoulder (Selletrix is a hoot, Maw for bosses). Guess I gotta just wait and see when the patch comes out :(