Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should DPS queue as tank or healer?

Freefalling17
This is for normal dungeons. Would like to see what you guys think.

Should DPS queue as tank or healer? 122 votes

Yes
18%
Septimus_MagnaGZ_ESVoidCommanderJoosef_KivikilpiElo106DenisgsvRunefangProtossyderJierdanitMatrix117Camb0Sl1ceSchokoladeeco_TRKuratWiseSkyDaffenAlutoraSgtNuttzmegAyaDarkkstephano 23 votes
No
54%
NestorBlueRavenDarcyMardinBlackSparrowArtemis_X_SkayaqKwoungpreeviousKartalinLondonCallingXuhoraCP5XarcHetairaligegladJackeysigmaxlantimawkishSanctum74Diffused 66 votes
Does Not Matter
14%
MojmirLisalolo_01b16_ESOSchattenfluegelAstridTheForFeeFxericdxPuzzlenutsQbikenfrankwchenzoSparr0wSupremeRissolecolossalvoidsphwaapWyrd88hands0medevilIshtarknowsNexon 18 votes
Other
12%
Belegnolewheresbesmanny254redspecter23Zer0_CooLLadyNalcaryaDojohodaAsardesWeathurKraylphileunderx2Lum1onIneedaDollariksdeElendir2am 15 votes
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a taunt equipped and intend to use it to hold boss aggro?
    If yes, then you should queue as tank.

Do you have a heal equipped and intend to use it to keep your random groupmates alive?
    If yes, then you should queue as healer.

If the answer to the question is no, then you should queue as a Damage Dealer unless you formed a pre-made group where everyone agreed to non-standard roles.

Its not about whether the content requires a tank or healer. Its about respecting your random groupmates who shouldn't have to shoulder your job while also doing their own.
    Edited by VaranisArano on January 23, 2021 12:25AM
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    If I queue as a tank, I make sure I'm completely capable of tanking whatever normal dungeon is possible for that queue and I have a taunt set

If I queue as a healer, I make sure I have at least one heal set that is capable of healing others.

I do that out of respect for the group and a desire to not be booted.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Just learn how to be a Tank or Healer already. It is not that hard.

Then you don't have to ruin someone else's experience so you can run content.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Well, if you don't already know the real answer to that question there's no hope for you.
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Nope and then vote to kick. Id rather play without a tank or healer then play with selfish people that try to jump que.
  • wheresbes
    wheresbes
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I was about to just answer "No" but since you specified this is only for normal dungeons, I'll agree with the others that, as long as you slot a taunt, that can be alright.

Technically, I'm not specced as a tank (I have 60 points in mag) because I need to do solo stuff in a way that I find pleasant, but for dungeons I completely swap skills and gear, trying to perform all that's required by my role and with 40k hp.

The root of the problem though seems to be that there aren't enough tanks, which account for long queues for DDs. A question arises then: why people don't like tanking?

Me, I love it! Also, I always PUG (if I have time, up to 4 dungeons per evening) and I almost always have positive experiences <3
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does Not Matter
    If it´s a normal dungeon it doesn´t matter as long as you get through the dungeon smooth and easy.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    wheresbes wrote: »
    The root of the problem though seems to be that there aren't enough tanks, which account for long queues for DDs. A question arises then: why people don't like tanking?

Me, I love it! Also, I always PUG (if I have time, up to 4 dungeons per evening) and I almost always have positive experiences <3

I know why I often won't queue as a tank. It can be hard to count on the dps to hit high enough numbers to make it worth it. Yes, it's random normal and you're likely going to finish it even if the dps is low, but it will take more time. If I queue as a dps with the ability to tank, I can guarantee at least one person in there will be doing reasonable damage and we will finish quickly. If I queue as a full on tank with about 5k damage, I may still be the highest dps in there and it's just not worth that risk for me. I feel as though the biggest advantage to a "real" tank is the massive amount of buffs/debuffs you can bring to the group. If the dps is doing 5k, Warhorn is pointless. I might as well just drop a standard of might instead. It will deal more damage overall.
    Edited by redspecter23 on January 24, 2021 12:21AM
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Normal dungeons dont need real tank and healer. Queuing as fake role may seem wrong for some but it shortens everyone's queue times. Think about that for a minute.
  • mobicera
    mobicera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just avoid the random que and only preform
    Even in normal randoms its easier that way, you can just 4 dps.
    Typically take me 3 minutes to fill a random from guilds advertised as 4 dps speed normal.

No one needs to whine that an add is hitting them in normal no one needs to run around like a headless chicken.
    Its amazing lol
  • wheresbes
    wheresbes
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I know why I often won't queue as a tank. It can be hard to count on the dps to hit high enough numbers to make it worth it. Yes, it's random normal and you're likely going to finish it even if the dps is low, but it will take more time. If I queue as a dps with the ability to tank, I can guarantee at least one person in there will be doing reasonable damage and we will finish quickly. If I queue as a full on tank with about 5k damage, I may still be the highest dps in there and it's just not worth that risk for me. I feel as though the biggest advantage to a "real" tank is the massive amount of buffs/debuffs you can bring to the group. If the dps is doing 5k, Warhorn is pointless. I might as well just drop a standard of might instead. It will deal more damage overall.

I was thinking about this last night, I wanted to run Arx one time but couldn't bear to swap everything, so I solo'd it with my whopping 10k dps. Skipping all mobs, doing only the bosses, it took me a reasonable amount of time, so IMO, in 4 MUST be better, right?!

But yeah, I sort of agree with you. I've had a few looong runs on normal DLC dungeons because of low dps and, on top of my mind, Darkshade 2 can be impossible to finish *but* that happened like a handful of times. Besides, if something goes wrong, with a waiting time of 1 to 20 seconds, I don't really mind to queue again. When things go alright (the majority of times), I can assure you it comes with great satisfaction, especially given how PUGs are despised everywhere. Regarding buffs/debuffs, some are no brainer, but others, as you said, can be forgone in normals with PUGs eg, instead than warhorn I find that undo is a godsend when I have to perform the role of "The Resurrector" :D
  • Lum1on
    Lum1on
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    If you have a taunt and you will taunt (dangerous) mobs and bosses, you can queue as a tank, but you really need to make sure to taunt them.

Same with queuing as a healer; if you have heals for the whole group and you'll use them to prevent your group from dying, you can queue as a healer, but you really need to make sure to heal your group.

Too many players seem to have this weird perception that they can queue as a tank because they know they'll not die (because they have self heals and have played this game for several years and know all the mechanics). But they forget that there most likely will be newcomers in your group at some point if you keep doing this. And it will not be very pleasant adventure/experience for them if you don't do what your role is required you to do. (If you queue with a random players)
    PC EU: @Lum1on
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Best runs i have, is with the kind of fakeheal that pulls like 70+dps knows all the mechanics and shortcuts.

• MirandaSharp
    MirandaSharp
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    If you're pugging it's not fair to the (often) newbie players you get in normal dungeons if you as a tank don't control the bosses and the mobs, which can easily kill low level players.. Or as a healer you let them die without trying to heal them...

On the other hand if you respec your dps character for healing or tanking so you can perform those functions in the pug It's all good.
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Here we go again.. :D
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does Not Matter
    You can solo most if not all normal dungeons on an 18k hp dps build, just be first to pull and everything agro's on you anyway.

I'd still slot a taunt or a heal tho mostly for bosses.
    Edited by Sparr0w on January 26, 2021 10:22AM
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Lum1on
    Lum1on
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Sparr0w wrote: »
    You can solo most if not all normal dungeons on an 18k hp dps build, just be first to pull and everything agro's on you anyway.

I'd still slot a taunt or a heal tho mostly for bosses.

Even if you aggro'd the mobs or boss first does not mean they keep their aggro on you. Surely you can, I can, and many others can solo complete normal dungeons, even vet dungeons (DLC or non-DLC), but if you queue as a tank or as a healer you should slot in that taunt/heal and use it properly because there might be a completely new player in your group who has no idea and they just keep dying when they think there is someone to help them (tank or a healer).

And when they keep dying they might think they suck in this game, they might get embarrassed of themselves, or whatnot. That might lead them to quit the game and never come back.

That's why I think it's wrong to assume you can queue as a tank or a healer (and not slotting taunt or heals for the group) as a DD knowing that you can survive in there.
  • Joosef_Kivikilpi
    Joosef_Kivikilpi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    When you can do the role comfortably as a tank/healer/dps and know the dungeon mechanics? Yes.

I rock a 33k Magic, 19k Health, 19k Stamina Mageblade and I comfortable can complete most all content and tank it. I will not queue into vet pledges of 2nd versions of base game dungeons or dlc dungeons. I know my limitations as a tank for the most part on my Mageblade, so I won't disrespect the group with that. But I'm confident my 12k DPS homies appreciate my 40k dps tank and healer :D on easy vet pledges etc. haha
  • svendf
    svendf
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Kurat wrote: »
    Normal dungeons dont need real tank and healer. Queuing as fake role may seem wrong for some but it shortens everyone's queue times. Think about that for a minute.

Yes they do and especially for the DLC`s. I do see alot of DD´s not able to compleate these dungeon´s. So you are all wrong in this matter. The DD´s running as tank or healer´s ae att best really bad and have no interest in healing or tanking. Many fake tanks have HP way under tthe magine for ok tanking and they know that, when hunted down by a boss and therefore try to run away.

If you don´t have these experiences there is no reason for you to comment on issue in anyway as it don´t bring anything to the tabel other than making fun of everything.
  • Lum1on
    Lum1on
    ✭✭✭
    Other

What do you mean by a real tank and healer? If you're experienced player, no, you may not need them. But if you're new, just hit level 50 and want to try the DLC dungeons that you were too afraid to get in before, and you bring your friend with you who is just as new as you. Then you get grouped up with two very experienced players who have queued as a tank and healer, but they don't provide any self heals and they don't taunt any dangerous mobs/boss.

That is exactly the point why there are roles you need to select before queuing because it may ruin the experience for others. This is a game for everyone meant to be played together with other players, not for one individual's selfish thinking "I know I can't die, so it doesn't matter what I do".

Think about that for a minute.
  • Matrix117
    Matrix117
    ✭✭
    Yes
    The problem is as an endgame tank and dps, tanking is not fun when i can slot a vma bow on my tank and do 70% of group dps with just that and stone giant and usually only my lady thorn proccing alkosh.

I can fake tank with my dps and always pull 80-90% of DPS even with me taunting trash, and if im on stam or magdk ill even chain the far stuff.

for endgame players we usually just want our 10 stones, sit back and enjoy the speedy run. but even in vet pledges you can usually do all non dlc and some dlc with half decent 4 dps as long as you know the basic mechanics of the place and how to dodge/block.

that being said when i see bad dps/people fake roles its definitely a bruh moment.

Fake healing on the other hand i always say yes to as long as your vocal for everyone to put a self heal on (class hot usually works best)
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Tanks main job = keep boss taunted and dont die
    Healers main job = keep party health topped off

As long as fake dps perform that minimal role in a normal dungeon I am 100% fine with it.
    Most normal dungeons are easy to solo so having a tank/healer is not needed if you plan for it.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    As tank, with Inner Rage on back bar:
    Yes, for normal dungeons, base game veteran dungeons and vWGT
    No, for other DLC veteran dungeons, since there are many hard hitting bosses

As healer:
    For anything if you have an AoE heal ability, ex. Echoing Vigor or Matriarch
    Edited by Asardes on February 10, 2021 2:16PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Tberg725
    Tberg725
    ✭✭✭
    I’m DPS and I will say when the pledges come up for FG1, ARX, Direfrost I will hit the que as a tank for the simple fact those dungeons are beyond easy and if there is a low level in the group more times than not it’s no sweat to them anyways sense they get the Uber noob buff for low levels and most people would rather hit the que and knock it out than hit the que and wait some times for more than an hour + but in the beginning of the dungeon I let group know I’m mainly dps and to say somthing if they have the quest to do so I know to hang back a bit or just nuke it
  • svendf
    svendf
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Tberg725 wrote: »
    I’m DPS and I will say when the pledges come up for FG1, ARX, Direfrost I will hit the que as a tank for the simple fact those dungeons are beyond easy and if there is a low level in the group more times than not it’s no sweat to them anyways sense they get the Uber noob buff for low levels and most people would rather hit the que and knock it out than hit the que and wait some times for more than an hour + but in the beginning of the dungeon I let group know I’m mainly dps and to say somthing if they have the quest to do so I know to hang back a bit or just nuke it

It have nothing to do with "how easy" the dungeon is. The problem is many fake tanks don´t have the skill or knowledge to tank.
    Many times fake tanks don´t have the goal to tank it´s all about skiping que.

A lot of times it hapens healers are put in the situation taking over tanking, which happens alot to me when on healer. The fake tank are actually being "out tanked" by healers (happens often when healer also do all roles included tanking)..

Fake taking have no place in ESO and don´t matter how easy the dungeon is. I solved my que problem as dd by roleing out healers and tanks.

Wanna fake tanking do it with the guild and stay away from pugs.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No

Think about you just got queued with 3 brand new players wearing whatever gear has dropped for them, who will probably be struggling slowly through this normal dungeon. A speed runner or fake tank/healer is just going to get these poor folks killed over and over through the whole dungeon, basically destroying their fun and quite possibly ruining the entire game for them.

Think about that for a minute.
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I queue to normal non-dlc dungeons with 3 aoe damage spells and 3 aoe healing spells, and armor set meant for dps. Even when i try my best i end up doing 40-50% of total healing and 20-40% of total damage.
    Being a pure healer often means slow progression through the dungeon, and sometimes people ask me to help dps.
    Being focused on dps means fast progression through the dungeon, but impatient dds can die when they try to tank.
    Being a balanced healing/dps role i can heal and help with dps, so far it is the best setup i tried for normal dungeons.

I spent some time healing in ffxiv, there healer needs to toggle dps mode on, dps, toggle off dps mode, heal, repeat. And healer is supposed to dps there. In ESO heal-dpsing is many times easier.
    Edited by ixthUA on February 20, 2021 1:05AM
  • Alutora
    Alutora
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Imma say yes. HOWEVER. If you are a dd queuing as a tank or healer, you need to have the damage to back it up. Any normal, and any vet is perfectly doable as 3x dd, and it can be much faster than regular setup. I main a healer and my boyfriend mains a tank, and if we que as a real tank and healer, sometimes we get grouped with new or really low damage players, and some dungeons can take ages. I just did DC2 normal where the Netch boss took almost 20 mins to kill! 😆 or another time, one hour and half CoA2. I’m not a quitter so I stay, but these runs are usually just dragging for so long they give me headache.

With our DDs, we que as a tank and healer for normals dungeons, always. We can 2 man any dungeon efficiently, so if we are with other high dmg guys even better, if not, no real loss. Saves everyone’s time.

Also I remember when I was low lvl, just starting out in the game, I didn’t mind at all when got fake tank or healer and we just ran through the dungeons quickly. It also kinda took the pressure off me, as I didn’t know how to play yet, and obviously we had more dps this way.
    Edited by Alutora on March 7, 2021 1:33AM
  • Milli_Rabbit
    Milli_Rabbit
    ✭✭✭
    No
    No. Queue as a dps and wait. There are a hundred different things to do while waiting for the queue. Skyshard hunting, questing, xp grinding, crafting, lore book collecting, trading, and the classic, bankstanding.
  • TheForFeeF
    TheForFeeF
    ✭✭✭
    Does Not Matter
    For normals, this is fine as I can solo a base-game dungeon with a glass-cannon DD build.

For normal DLC, fake healing is what you can get away with, not fake tanking. As needed as healers are, there are too many options to get around this (self-heals and pale order ring). Tanking is a more important role than healing in this situation, as tanks take the aggro damage away from the DDs, who should be good enough to burn the boss down quick enough.

Its veteran dungeons when this becomes more of an interesting topic.
    Edited by TheForFeeF on March 7, 2021 10:18AM