Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Battlegrounds: Lobby and Deathmatch Mode Only Selection

Skoomah
Skoomah
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
@ZOS_GinaBruno
@ZOS_JessicaFolsom
@ZOS_Gilliam
@ZOS_RichLambert
@ZOS_MattFiror

Dear ZOS,

Over the weekend, the PVP community came together for one of the funnest and most spirited events ever in ESO history.

We organized a Battlegrounds Tournament that drew the interest of over 16 teams that had rosters of 4-6 people each, that had competitors from both NA and EU servers. The games were streamed on Twitch for the ESO community and other viewers.

The first major hurdle was getting teams into the right matches, we would all take turns queue’ing into the Battlegrounds. Three teams at a time would queue up, wait for it to pop, then all three teams would queue in together. Sometimes the queue would pop instantly, sometimes it would 10-15 minutes. All other teams would refrain from queue’ing up and waited their turn.

We are proposing that you add a Lobby System into the game so we can organize our own matches with pre-determined teams. That way, for example, in this case, all 16 teams could queue into matches all at once from their respective Lobbies. The current way of getting matches together made it so teams had to wait around 1 hour or more to get into their games because we had to line up and wait our turns.

The second major hurdle was playing the games as Death Matches but having to get around the fact that game modes are random. We all ended up ignoring the game modes and objectives and turned all the games into Death Matches. We would screenshot scoreboards at the end of games and add up kills to determine the winner. We are proposing you bring back the option to specifically queue for Death Match only.

The tournament experience would have been so much better if we were given the tools (Lobby, Death Match Option). Please consider these as features to give us in 2021.
Edited by [Deleted User] on January 18, 2021 12:27AM
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it sounds like something the game is lacking. not that i would use it.
  • ErythorBloodsheild
    ErythorBloodsheild
    ✭✭✭
    100% on board with this idea. I just fear in their eyes, it'll be a "real use" vs time and resources. To me, it would be worth it. But i'm the low man on a totem pole like everyone else here. Crossing my fingers, tho.
  • Bfish22090
    Bfish22090
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    even the biggest ESO streamer, Fengrush, was competing in this event and advocating for DM and lobby system
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am not fussed about the lobby, personally, but would love to have the option to queue only for deathmatch. It would improve BGs for everyone as people who insisted that every BG was going to be deathmatch regardless of objectives could get their wish AND...sometimes i just want kill people without objectives. Last night was one of those nights. But after 2 capture the relics, 1 chaos ball, and 1 domination, i gave up.
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No! The game is out of balance now. Other modes allow you to win if your party consists not only of wardens and necromancers. Fight to the death is also not without problems, because the account goes to those who hire the last blow to the enemy, so manasorkcs always has the most frags.
    PC/EU
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No! The game is out of balance now. Other modes allow you to win if your party consists not only of wardens and necromancers. Fight to the death is also not without problems, because the account goes to those who hire the last blow to the enemy, so manasorkcs always has the most frags.
    He's not advocating that everyone be forced into either deathmatch-only games or custom lobbies, just that they should be options for those that want them.

I get that people are worried about splitting the population and whatnot, but those players who prefer the objective game modes and dislike deathmatch usually don't like it when their teammates ignore objectives to just fight other players. With deathmatch-only queue options being available, you generally shouldn't get those players on your team, at least not as often.
  • drunkendx
    drunkendx
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to be able to choose which type of match I queue for, would rather wait than do type I dislike.
  • airie
    airie
    ✭✭✭✭
    i would love to see spectator roles added to the custom lobbies too ♡
    discord | atelier airie @ https://discord.com/invite/nAuEC9m
    twitch | airiesummer @ https://www.twitch.tv/airiesummer
    eso university | http://eso-u.com/
    stream teams | eso official stream team | quakecon 2021 official stream team | hardmode | heartsupport | constellations
  • JinxxND
    JinxxND
    ✭✭✭✭
    This
    PC NA -
    'Jinxx - Nightblade
    'Jinxx X Necromancer
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The major advantage of not knowing what type of BG you get, is that you cannot gear up for just that type. Allowing players to choose which BG mode they want, would make some players build characters for certain modes only. Making them unstoppable in those modes. While right now, players have to choose an all-round type character when queueing for a BG.

A lobby type system for BG's where pre-determined groups(groupleaders) could add themselves to, and fight with eachother, would be cool though. This way players could organize tournaments with their specific teams/guilds. But this type of play should not grant any bonusses or rewards, as it would be really easy to abuse this type of system by throwing in fake/crappy teams on purpose.
    Edited by Sarannah on January 17, 2021 4:46PM
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    The major advantage of not knowing what type of BG you get, is that you cannot gear up for just that type. Allowing players to choose which BG mode they want, would make some players build characters for certain modes only. Making them unstoppable in those modes. While right now, players have to choose an all-round type character when queueing for a BG.

They can still gear up for these modes, and swap setup with an add-on when the battleground mode is set. In my opinion letting people choose the modes they like more is more important than stopping people with specialized builds (punishing people for getting ready is silly in my opinion)
    Edited by zvavi on January 17, 2021 6:15PM
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would still like people to understand that the population in pvp is now very small. With approximately 50k population per server, a maximum of 2-3k players participate in pvp per day. There is no point in worrying about pvp given its low popularity. Why is the popularity so low? I think there are many factors. Therefore, the ZoS are forced to make compromises.
    PC/EU
  • damarky
    damarky
    ✭✭✭
    Love this idea, Give us:
    - custom lobbies
    - Be able to choose the maps (so we can take out environment maps)

That be a great step in the right direction that is surely not to hard to add to keep the pvp players happy. The objective players will love to be able to keep doing there thing with out the pvp'ers turning every game mode into Death match anyway!

• Malprave
    Malprave
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not allowing people to play the mode they prefer certainly isn’t going to help the PvP population. I stopped doing battlegrounds because of this and went back to PVE. I find it hard to believe there’s much demand for objective game types, this isn’t Halo. There can’t be more than a handful of people in an already low population that want this.
  • Magio_
    Magio_
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why do the people here against separate queues find it necessary for every game mode have a healthy population? If the community decides we don't want to play a certain game mode and the queue for that mode dies, then what's the loss? People clearly don't want to play it. Why force them?

You think it's better to force the majority to play a game mode they don't want to play to appease a small minority who like Domination/Capture the Relic?

Some of the other arguments against it are non-sensical too. People can already min-max for whatever mode they load into. This argument also comes from a person who said they play 2 matches a week iirc. How is your opinion on BG's more valid than all the others here who play it for hours every day?
    Sarannah wrote: »
    A lobby type system for BG's where...groups...could...fight...eachother, would be cool though. This way players could organize tournaments with their specific teams/guilds. But this type of play should not grant any bonusses or rewards...

This is all we want. We don't care about the mediocre rewards anyway.

• Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the non participants, or people unaware of the event till seeing this thread, necessarily understand or appreciate the scale of the event or the massive interest there was in it. There were 70-80 people that actually played, which in of itself is insane for an ESO event, but there were also a lot of people who participated through trying to stream/cast games (didn't work out super well bc no spectator mode), watching/betting on streamed games with twitch points in PoV streams like Fengrush's, or joining the discord to keep up with the event, etc. In total, there were hundreds of players involved in some way or another, most of which didn't even hear about the event till a few days before.

The fact that 16 teams signed up is also insane considering the late notice most teams had, plus a lot of the old high mmr bg players left the game when solo queue only was added. In the end, there was a great mix of experienced teams, last minute thrown together teams, and new groups that wanted to tryout more competitive gameplay, which gave everyone a great variety of matches.

I've never seen this amount of hype/interest around an ESO community event before, regardless of if it was PvE or PvP, and sadly the only limiting factors were because of the existing systems. There's clearly a massive interest for these sorts of community events, but without support from ZOS (like adding a lobby system), they are extremely difficult to pull off.

Several problems that could easily be fixed with a lobby system:
    • It took a long time to actually get teams into matches. When you have 16 teams in a tournament, waiting 10 minutes for the queue to pop for every game really starts adding up, resulting in teams only being able to play a game every hour or 1.5 hours.
    • Although a lobby system wouldn't fix crashing issues, it would at least make restarting the game easier if there was a crash. Crashing early in a game justified a restart as per the rules, but with the large amount of games that needed to be played, this only further pushed back the waiting line.
    • Certain maps are really, really terrible in the context of premade group matches and a lobby system could allow for map selection to alleviate these issues. Foyada Quarry (the lava map), is particularly terrible since the teams can all see each other from virtually any other point on the map and there's no way for teams to flank each other or move around without the other teams seeing. This causes teams to run around in circles for ages before fights actually start, since being sandwiched in a premade game virtually guarantees a wipe. Another example of a bad map for premade matches is Mor Khazgur, since it not only randomly spawns environmental fog during the middle of matches, but every side of the map has an edge where players can easily get knocked off, resulting in cheesy deaths that don't belong in competitive matches.
    • Although we were able to bypass the random modes during the tournament since everyone played the matches like deathmatch and scored points based on kills, being able to actually select deathmatch would be extremely helpful. Sometimes teams would capture a point since the fight just ended up being in that area, or would accidentally walk over the chaos ball. This led to games ending sooner than they should or causing unnecessary player deaths.
    • Lobbies could also add a spectator mode, which would allow for streamers to easily cast matches on their twitch channels. We tried doing a skuffed version of this with discord screensharing, but it just didn't work out very well and would be much better with an in-game spectator mode.

ZOS, please consider adding these simple QoL features so the community can make cool things happen. There is clearly a lot of interest and players just need the tools.
  • Marwka
    Marwka
    Soul Shriven
    custom lobies, map selection, spectator mode.. these are great ideas. would definetly like to see these kind of features for battlegrounds.
    Edited by Marwka on January 17, 2021 10:08PM
  • Ruder
    Ruder
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imagine being able to que for Deathmatch or have a Custom lobby system where you can play competitive matches with your friends, everything seems doable and simple until you realize who you are asking to for the implementation..

Games in the past 10 years are nothing more than a business, and business is not interested in investing resources and time into satisfying the minority of their customers (PvPrs in this case), business is focused purely on profit, profit and more profit.
    This is why:
    • We have race/alliance change tokens costing as much as full fledged game
    • More ludacris overtuned proc sets with each dlc/chapter (stuff gotta sell, screw the balance)
    • Server Lag - if players keep playing disregarding the awful lag in Cyro (and in Trials but not that terrible) then there is no need to invest money into more developers and server resources to optimize the code)

Hopefully I`ll be proved wrong in time and the lobby system will see a daytime, only time will tell..

For now I`ll remain purely pessimistic.
    Edited by Ruder on January 17, 2021 10:26PM
  • Eevee_42
    Eevee_42
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was one of the people who helped organize this BG tournament, and while it was not without hurdles (performance, bugs, crashes, spending hours trying to get people into matches), it was really inspiring to see so much interest from the pvp community. It felt like we were trying to overcome ESO’s limitations constantly and everything could have been much more streamlined with a simple lobby system. I’m a huge advocate for this idea. Adding in a Deathmatch only que and spectator mode would be the icing on the cake. The interest is definitely here, and I think there is so much potential with just a little bit of help from the devs making these adjustments. With such an amazing turnout during a time where people strongly dislike the proc meta and performance is a massive issue, just imagine what future tournaments and events we could make happen to bring the community together.

Please ZOS, we want to keep this community alive and thriving. Adding back group ques was a great first step, but I think making these changes could be game changing for us.
    Edited by Eevee_42 on January 17, 2021 10:46PM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skoomah wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    @ZOS_Gilliam
    @ZOS_RichLambert
    @ZOS_MattFiror

Dear ZOS,

Over the weekend, the PVP community came together for one of the funnest and most spirited events ever in ESO history.

We organized a Battlegrounds Tournament that drew the interest of over 16 teams that had rosters of 4-6 people each, that had competitors from both NA and EU servers. The games were streamed on Twitch for the ESO community and other viewers.

The first major hurdle was getting teams into the right matches, we would all take turns queue’ing into the Battlegrounds. Three teams at a time would queue up, wait for it to pop, then all three teams would queue in together. Sometimes the queue would pop instantly, sometimes it would 10-15 minutes. All other teams would refrain from queue’ing up and waited their turn.

We are proposing that you add a Lobby System into the game so we can organize our own matches with pre-determined teams. That way, for example, in this case, all 16 teams could queue into matches all at once from their respective Lobbies. The current way of getting matches together made it so teams had to wait around 1 hour or more to get into their games because we had to line up and wait our turns.

The second major hurdle was playing the games as Death Matches but having to get around the fact that game modes are random. We all ended up ignoring the game modes and objectives and turned all the games into Death Matches. We would screenshot scoreboards at the end of games and add up kills to determine the winner. We are proposing you bring back the option to specifically queue for Death Match only.

The tournament experience would have been so much better if we were given the tools (Lobby, Death Match Option). Please consider these as features to give us in 2021.

Now that the queue is split between group and solo, their concern was allowing players to queue for specific game modes would further split the battleground population (which is small to begin with, especially now). Wait times could become too long. That being said, I'm not against bringing back mode-specific queues as an experiment to see if it has that effect. But if I have to choose between mode-specific queues or having both a group and solo queue available, I choose the latter.

In respect to your lobby system proposal, that sounds like a lot of work to accommodate what is likely a very tiny percentage of the ESO player base. You would be better off asking for an arena or something like that where group vs group PvP is active and role players could rent or buy to plan events around. That would probably be more feasible.
    Edited by Jeremy on January 17, 2021 11:00PM
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    May I suggest trying to make these tournaments next time on the PTS? Maybe it might help.
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I honestly prefer battlegrounds as they are now, instead of this suggestion.. I like that we cannot gear for one specific battle scenario.. keeps it more fair
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though I don't really care for BGs, I totally support this idea.
    Bfish22090 wrote: »
    even the biggest ESO streamer, Fengrush, was competing in this event and advocating for DM and lobby system

Okay, you raise a good point, but I still support it.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly prefer battlegrounds as they are now, instead of this suggestion.. I like that we cannot gear for one specific battle scenario.. keeps it more fair
    You can change gear and skill setup anytime that you're out of combat, including in your team's spawn before the game starts. As of last night, I actually have 4 different gear/skill setups that I'm switching between, though none are specific to any game mode. But if you want say...a Coward's Gear setup for Capture the Relic or Chaos Ball games, you can do that right now. The only downside is the extra inventory space being used, but that's certainly manageable.

Being able to choose the game mode also doesn't just help deathmatch-focused players, either. I can name two people off the top of my head - and every other PC-NA Battlegrounds player would know exactly who I'm talking about - that will immediately leave any deathmatch game, and sometimes other objective modes as well (one player, for instance, seems to only play Domination and Crazy King).
  • Grega
    Grega
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    @ZOS_Gilliam
    @ZOS_RichLambert
    @ZOS_MattFiror

Dear ZOS,

While I support this idea and would love to see it happen....note that to avoid XP/AP boosting....any and all achievements, AP gains, xp gains and rewards would have to be disabled. Literally lobby mode available only for the activity you propose with no other reward than fun with your friends
  • SgtNuttzmeg
    SgtNuttzmeg
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grega wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    @ZOS_Gilliam
    @ZOS_RichLambert
    @ZOS_MattFiror

Dear ZOS,

While I support this idea and would love to see it happen....note that to avoid XP/AP boosting....any and all achievements, AP gains, xp gains and rewards would have to be disabled. Literally lobby mode available only for the activity you propose with no other reward than fun with your friends

I think it's fine as it is. Maybe take off the random XP bonus for winning but really don't get a lot of ap from BG's. I think it's only 1.5k, besides the vast majority of people that would use this would already be cp cap.
    Legions of Mordor Core

Cold0neFTBs
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    @ZOS_Gilliam
    @ZOS_RichLambert
    @ZOS_MattFiror

Dear ZOS,

I don't think anyone really cares about getting AP from a lobby system. It wouldn't need to have any rewards or XP, just give us the ability to group up vs other teams.
  • Grega
    Grega
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    @ZOS_Gilliam
    @ZOS_RichLambert
    @ZOS_MattFiror

Dear ZOS,

I think it's fine as it is. Maybe take off the random XP bonus for winning but really don't get a lot of ap from BG's. I think it's only 1.5k, besides the vast majority of people that would use this would already be cp cap.

The min amount of AP gained from a BG is 7.2k, which would be 4th person on the loosing team. Now with lobby system where everyone knows each other and is potentially in a party when they go in, they could coordinate and complete objective to end the lobby in under a minute for quick AP gain. All I’m saying it could be exploited that way. Where as lobby system with no reward could not be exploited. Can’t exploit fun! 😊
  • Grega
    Grega
    ✭✭✭✭
    Urvoth wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    @ZOS_Gilliam
    @ZOS_RichLambert
    @ZOS_MattFiror

Dear ZOS,

I don't think anyone really cares about getting AP from a lobby system. It wouldn't need to have any rewards or XP, just give us the ability to group up vs other teams.

Yes, as I said, that what I would love to have too. It’s one of the most requested features in most of the guilds I’m in.
  • SgtNuttzmeg
    SgtNuttzmeg
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    @ZOS_Gilliam
    @ZOS_RichLambert
    @ZOS_MattFiror

Dear ZOS,

The min amount of AP gained from a BG is 7.2k, which would be 4th person on the loosing team. Now with lobby system where everyone knows each other and is potentially in a party when they go in, they could coordinate and complete objective to end the lobby in under a minute for quick AP gain. All I’m saying it could be exploited that way. Where as lobby system with no reward could not be exploited. Can’t exploit fun! 😊

Good point. I thought it was less.
    Legions of Mordor Core

Cold0neFTBs