Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Where is all the Hype? Netflix Reportedly Developing Elder Scrolls Show

• Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no hype because it's not true.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • carthalis
    carthalis
    ✭✭✭
    Bethesda already working with Amazon on a Fallout series and I can't imagine they would give out another license to one of Amazons rivals, so based on that it seems extremely unlikely. I enjoyed Netflix's job on The Witcher so I'd be pretty hyped if it ever turns out to be true.

Yeah that was my thought as well. Maybe Amazon are just busy with trying to get LOTR off the ground they didn't want another fantasy series. Who knows, it will be interesting to see if anything more develops from it.
    Edited by carthalis on December 29, 2020 11:24AM
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    OtarTheMad wrote: »
    Sadly though Netflix seems quick to ax things even if popular and good ratings... see their Marvel shows and some that were canceled this year.

Regarding the Marvel shows, I thought their cancellation was mostly due to Disney preparing to launch their own streaming service, so they were terminating their contracts with companies such as Netflix who were streaming Disney-owned content?

From what I have read Disney was surprised Netflix canceled them, Disney didn't ask them to do it. They probably would have been anyway since Netflix isn't going to give free advertising for Disney + by keeping them.
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If it’s Netflix, there will be lots of gratuitous, heterosexual sex scenes; it’ll be set in Skyrim (to minimise CGI Argonians and Khajits - boo!) and it will be very, very, different from Elder Scrolls.

Sure, I’ll give the show a go if it’s ever made, but with the expectations that it’s a TV adaptation for wider audiences.

Heterosexual? Have you even watched Netflix in the last 5 years?

Yes, I have, but the straight stuff is still predominant. If you watched The Witcher or the recent The Bridgertons (some adaptations from novels) they’re full on heterosexual intercourse in the first episode. It’s like Netflix has a standard formula for TV series: first episode overwhelm them with sex. Second and subsequent episodes it’s okay to ease down.

And no, if it’s full of LGBTQIA+ sex scenes as well, it doesn’t translate automatically into a good show or whatever. Diversity means more than nudity and sex. It’s also about casting, script, director, costumes....

Going back to Elder Scrolls, I’d love an adaptation but I am also realistic.
    Edited by SammyKhajit on December 29, 2020 5:44AM
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god no. That's
    Tremuto wrote: »
    Unless they somehow incorporate Dagothwave into the show, my interest will remain lukewarm.

To help tide you over during the wait.

You're welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXRWQefGh1U

And if you can't stand this, then be thankful I didn't link the 10 hour loop instead.

And YOU'RE welcome, too.

I... Don't hate it.

If they do decide to make a show, I'm going to refuse to acknowledge its existence. There's no way it won't ruin TES for me. These kind of shows never work (wasn't there a Zelda show back in the '90s featuring a brunette Link? And a Mario Brothers show? Travesties) and I can't imagine it would add anything positive to the Elder Scrolls franchise

Except $$$ for them, I guess.
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If it’s Netflix, there will be lots of gratuitous, heterosexual sex scenes; it’ll be set in Skyrim (to minimise CGI Argonians and Khajits - boo!) and it will be very, very, different from Elder Scrolls.

Sure, I’ll give the show a go if it’s ever made, but with the expectations that it’s a TV adaptation for wider audiences.

Yes, I have, but the straight stuff is still predominant. If you watched The Witcher or the recent The Bridgertons (some adaptations from novels) they’re full on heterosexual intercourse in the first episode. It’s like Netflix has a standard formula for TV series: first episode overwhelm them with sex. Second and subsequent episodes it’s okay to ease down.

And no, if it’s full of LGBTQIA+ sex scenes as well, it doesn’t translate automatically into a good show or whatever. Diversity means more than nudity and sex. It’s also about casting, script, director, costumes....

Can and quite often does easily translate into a bad show though. Mainly because, in the name of "diversity", they try to shoehorn in so much LGBT stuff, along with other SJW issues, that it overwhelms the story and makes the whole show feel more like a propaganda ad than entertainment. "Diversity" is not what makes a show good. What makes the show good is the story you tell and how you tell it.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh god no. That's
    Tremuto wrote: »
    Unless they somehow incorporate Dagothwave into the show, my interest will remain lukewarm.

To help tide you over during the wait.

You're welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXRWQefGh1U

And if you can't stand this, then be thankful I didn't link the 10 hour loop instead.

And YOU'RE welcome, too.

I... Don't hate it.

If they do decide to make a show, I'm going to refuse to acknowledge its existence. There's no way it won't ruin TES for me. These kind of shows never work (wasn't there a Zelda show back in the '90s featuring a brunette Link? And a Mario Brothers show? Travesties) and I can't imagine it would add anything positive to the Elder Scrolls franchise

Except $$$ for them, I guess.
    Only way I could see it kind of working is a limited series that bridges the gap between Skyrim and TES6, like the novels bridged Oblivion and Skyrim. But that would require a lot of investment for something short-lived.
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Glurin wrote: »

Can and quite often does easily translate into a bad show though. Mainly because, in the name of "diversity", they try to shoehorn in so much LGBT stuff, along with other SJW issues, that it overwhelms the story and makes the whole show feel more like a propaganda ad than entertainment. "Diversity" is not what makes a show good. What makes the show good is the story you tell and how you tell it.

Right, and diversity is bad because it challenges people too much....

[Sarcasm is on, in case it is difficult to tell]
    Edited by SammyKhajit on December 29, 2020 6:57AM
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I discontinued using Netflix years ago and do not intend to ever subscribe to their service for as long as I live or have working eyeballs and/or functioning ears.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because most writers just aren't capable of lifting a plot with a message or meaning that doesn't make it seem crude, regardless of the subject. Nothing to do with social justice issues themselves.

Which is also why homosexual romances often falls flat. Not because there's anything wrong with it per se, but because most romance is written terribly, period. When it's a heterosexual one, that is easier to overlook for most people (i.e., heterosexuals) because they can better identify with one party in the relationship or accept the attraction of the characters on the basis of "eh, they're kinda hot, I guess".
    When that is absent, the writing needs to properly sell the affinity these characters have for each other, which I rarely see accomplished.
    Best examples are, imo, the San Junipero episode from Black Mirror and Darlene/Dom in Mr. Robot. Love those girls.
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every attempt to bring World of Warcraft to screen has been an utter disappointment, so I don't have high hopes for ESO.
  • KharnTheUndying
    KharnTheUndying
    ✭✭✭
    All these streaming companies are trying to snatch every ip with thier greedy hands to further thier monopoly, screw them including the kings of greed disney and netflix.
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

Because most writers just aren't capable of lifting a plot with a message or meaning that doesn't make it seem crude, regardless of the subject. Nothing to do with social justice issues themselves.

Which is also why homosexual romances often falls flat. Not because there's anything wrong with it per se, but because most romance is written terribly, period. When it's a heterosexual one, that is easier to overlook for most people (i.e., heterosexuals) because they can better identify with one party in the relationship or accept the attraction of the characters on the basis of "eh, they're kinda hot, I guess".
    When that is absent, the writing needs to properly sell the affinity these characters have for each other, which I rarely see accomplished.
    Best examples are, imo, the San Junipero episode from Black Mirror and Darlene/Dom in Mr. Robot. Love those girls.

I think the biggest problem with any diversity-related stuff is that it's rarely written well into the story, it's there and the way it is without any reason except that writers made it so, which makes it look out of place.
    I mean, compare the Rellenthil quest where a certain NPC is who they are because it's the whole point of plot and a certain writer's "they were gay all along" revelations or Witcher's cast.
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolfpaw wrote: »
    Bethesda already working with Amazon on a Fallout series and I can't imagine they would give out another license to one of Amazons rivals, so based on that it seems extremely unlikely. I enjoyed Netflix's job on The Witcher so I'd be pretty hyped if it ever turns out to be true.

Amazon is making some good moves into the gaming industry.

2023~ Amazon's LOTR mmorpg. Hopefully the game somehow connected to the Amazon LOTR tv series.

They want to include nudity and sex scenes in the LOTR tv series, so hopefully the only thing connected with the amazon tv show will be a flaming meteorite.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Faiza wrote: »
    Every attempt to bring World of Warcraft to screen has been an utter disappointment, so I don't have high hopes for ESO.

Well, it's not just WoW. To say that just about every video game movie has been an utter disappointment would be a gross understatement. And it's not that video games translate poorly to movies. The movies just end up being either half-assed or written in such a way that only fans of the game would stand a chance of understanding what's going on. That is if the movie didn't end up as an in-name-only title where nothing is even remotely recognizable as coming from the game.

It's kinda the same thing that happens in the other direction with movie video games that release shortly after the film hits theaters. Obvious cash grabs with rushed, minimal effort put into them.

Good transitions between the two mediums has definitely been the exception, not the rule. Which is a real shame because there are many games out there that would make great films or tv series if you got the right people working on them.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The evidence looks pretty thin to be honest

Even if it is true there are dozens of series and movies that end up in the bin for every one that gets made

Then for every good series or movie there are dozens that are forgettable rubbish

Netflix may post some great stuff but it’s backed up by an ocean of garbage... that new King Arthur series for one

The odds of getting this made are slim, the odds of it being any good are even smaller

I remember the hype when they announced a Warhammer 40k movie years ago... what did we get...? Half an hour of rubbish that looked like a budget Sunday morning cgi cartoon. The kind of thing that turns up in the 11 am graveyard slot.
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Netflix Elder Scrolls:

So... Argonian boobies?

I don't get the appeal of that.
  • Silaf
    Silaf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to watch this. Lemon make sure the lore is respected!
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Netflix Elder Scrolls:

So... Argonian boobies?

I don't get the appeal of that.

Lusty Argonian Maid series! That may work with Netflix :D
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Probably because it’s Netflix that’s doing it and a lot of people are pissed with Netflix right now.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure why people talk bad about Netflix. In the beginning I disliked it but as years passed they have much better content and it is easy to use. I personally think Netflix is the best streaming platform.

Edited by vamp_emily on December 29, 2020 3:07PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vlad9425 wrote: »
    Probably because it’s Netflix that’s doing it and a lot of people are pissed with Netflix right now.

Any particular reason? I was pissed they canceled The OA, but that was quite some time ago ..
  • tohopka_eso
    tohopka_eso
    ✭✭✭✭
    There raising subscription price again.
  • lardvader
    lardvader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well based on all other games to movie adaptations it's probably going to be pretty meh. Only Silent Hill pulled it off imo.
    CP 1200+ PC EU EP
  • Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There raising subscription price again.

Inflation + production values

Many of Netflix shows might be trite, samey, meaningless and at least several series longer than they deserve to be but the production values are what you could only see in the cinema in the 1970's 80's 90's etc.

These production values don't come cheap. When I worked in TV in the 80's Budget for a costume drama was around £100,000 per 30mins viewing time.

A scene for instance with 100 crowd - you have to hire the costumes for a year because -

A. once you have shot a scene it might need to be reshot for writing or technical reasons at some point when it can be slipped into the schedule - and no designer wants the conversation 'sorry John, all those costumes are now on a shoot in South Africa or wherever'.

B. You have to put hired gear onto a retainer immediately or some other show will grab them and you'll be stuffed before you start.

Thats just frocks for ONE scene, never mind props lighting tracking gear etc etc etc

So. EXPENSIVE.

That's why they can offer massive money prizes on game shows - in budgetary terms it's peanuts absolute peanuts.
    Edited by Deter1UK on December 29, 2020 4:04PM
  • AerunSun
    AerunSun
    ✭✭
    Who will be the hero if we are not?

They didn't call yah??
    • Bosmer Girl since Morrowind 2002
  • pleximus
    pleximus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF it is true then it'll become the biggest show in history. Elder Scrolls franchise is extremely loved.
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why they making a tv show when their game doesnt work
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TES world and lore could be the greatest canvas for a show, but it would need talented people that love the material, and where are you going to find those? Not usually what Netflix or Hollywood hires. :/
    Edited by Loves_guars on December 29, 2020 8:57PM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lardvader wrote: »
    Well based on all other games to movie adaptations it's probably going to be pretty meh. Only Silent Hill pulled it off imo.

I thought Prince of Persia was a good film as well. Though perhaps I'm bias, because I'm a big fan of Gyllenhaal. Who would make an excellent casting choice for Darien Gautier I should add. The actor also has a history of doing movies for Netflix as well. ^^