Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Where is all the Hype? Netflix Reportedly Developing Elder Scrolls Show

• Khajiitihaswares
    Khajiitihaswares
    ✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    Ignore this post if one was created. I didn't see any topics related to this.

I figured all you fan boys/girls would be drooling over the fact Netflix was developing a Elder Scrolls Show.

Link:
    https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/netflix-reportedly-developing-elder-scrolls-show-big-witcher/

It will crash to desktop right when you start the show or when a epic battle is about to start.

I had too.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    The Witcher TV Series is pretty good. So there is hope. The WOW movie sucked because they tried to recreated the game. So there is fear they will do that.

What I think they should do is create a story and adventure is the TES world that is not Main Quest like but more Side Quest like but with more meat. Or, a series of separate stories that interrelate in some way.

The Warcraft movie was weird for me, I wasn't expecting much but I didn't realise an adaption could be ruined by sticking too closely to the source material. But they even had the colour-coded roofs for the different factions, which is literally an RTS mechanic rather than something from the lore. More importantly though I think it focused too much on having the bare minimum of plot gotten out of the way as quickly as possible to focus on huge battles, which again works for an RTS but not for a movie.

I think it could have been a great movie if they'd made it more of an adaption of the short story The Last Guardian which is about Medivh, Gul'dan, their stupid ideas and why they decided to tear a hole in the universe. Plenty of room for action sequences still, but with the focus on the people involved, their motivations and the resultant drama and more of the background lore.

I'm concerned the same sort of thing could happen with a TES movie - the games are very plot driven but also intended to take place over a long time, probably around 20-30 hours at least if you focus on just the main storyline (and over 100 hours if you do everything). Faced with trying to condense it down to 2 hours and justify the budget necessary for all the special effects by bringing in a wider audience I suspect they'll be tempted to strip the plot back to the absolute basics of some big 'eye catching' themes (probably "OMG Dragons! Generic Action Hero Man - you must fight them!") and rush through it so they can focus on lots of action scenes, even if the end result is pretty disappointing.

Then they could make it even worse by highlighting the problem with token acknowledgement to how the story should be told, like the Assassin's Creed movie did. Instead of the main character gradually discovering artefacts, journals etc. which shed light on the backstory they literally had all this stuff laid out on a table so he could briefly comment on some of them while Obligatory Exposition Lady gives a brief overview of the whole plot. Then they kept cutting between the action scenes in the past and the main character flailing around in some sort of theme-park Animus in case you forgot in the past 3 seconds how this worked.

Like Warcraft I think an Assassin's Creed movie, or even better a TV show, could have worked well, but what they made was a disaster. Having seen so many of these adaptions that could work in theory but failed utterly in practice I'm not confident an Elder Scrolls adaption would be any better. Very happy to be proved wrong, but I won't expect it.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Main Cast has to be one of each race

Also make it 5 males and 5 females
  • Monte_Cristo
    Monte_Cristo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tremuto wrote: »
    Unless they somehow incorporate Dagothwave into the show, my interest will remain lukewarm.

Opening theme song.
  • Monte_Cristo
    Monte_Cristo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Witcher TV Series is pretty good. So there is hope. The WOW movie sucked because they tried to recreated the game. So there is fear they will do that.

What I think they should do is create a story and adventure is the TES world that is not Main Quest like but more Side Quest like but with more meat. Or, a series of separate stories that interrelate in some way.

The Akaviri invasion that led to the Ebonheart Pact being formed, maybe? Jorunn the Skand Prince and Keshu the Black Fin as the main protagonists?
    Or a more fleshed out adaptation of the 2920: The Last Year of the First Era books.
    Or even my favorite in game book, The Firsthold Revolt.
    Edited by Monte_Cristo on December 28, 2020 8:51PM
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a lot of crazy stories that can be told in the TES universe - even in a "conventional fantasy Europe" setting like Highrock or Cyrodiil or Summerset you could have absolute insanity, to say nothing of Morrowind. But Netflix would sanitize the hell out of everything and just deliver a steaming pile of dung, because that's how big corporations seem to work.

Not for all the shirtless scenes of Henry Chadville would I watch it, I'll just wait for the gifs on tumblr.

Nor would I dirty Dagothwave by applying it on so inferior a product as a Netflix show.
    Edited by vestahls on December 28, 2020 9:04PM
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My vision of ESO show:

Main actor:
    1307234_jasonmomoa_857342.jpg?fit=1084%2C722&ssl=1

Zeni's Vision:

Main actor:

5879708cW.jpg

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Lazarus_Rising
    Lazarus_Rising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped with hyping anything even the games i'm really passionate about. This led to so much disappointment. It's better to be doubtful so companies are trying harder to please someone and not take it granted.
    also known as Overlich.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Three stories for non protagonist (neither wide regarded famous) characters could be:

1- Caius Cosades. It could be before or after the encounter with the Nerevarine
    2- Jiub before Saint Jiub (what he did to get on the ship), and maybe it could end when he starts his mission to kill all racers
    3- The rise of the Blackwood Company (and the story from their perspective)

Bonus track: The Twin Lamps vs Cammona Tong
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the news article but.... me and my brother just looked each other and were like "Yeah, that's not going to work."

The series has always been about the player character and that player character doesn't have a very complicated background. Its just X person of X race finds themselves in X situation that leads to X outcome whether that be execution, jail, being sent to a volcanic island, or some other thing. It works for a game, but it never really works out in a story telling setting like a novel or movie due to the fact they won't really give the audience much to go on.

I'm also worried about how the lore in the universe is going to be presented to the audience as some of the stuff is really, really out there sometimes. I love it, but imagine the show going into detail on the lore surrounding what Vivec and Molag Bal did that one time....
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Idea was always awful to me but after the witcher butchering I'm pretty sure I should avoid anything related like a plague if this really happens.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    This could be really good, or it could be really bad. :# Let's hope it's really good.

EDIT: All I can say is, there'd better be mudcrabs!

I agree. WoW is a great example as their movie was really bad.

I quite liked the World of Warcraft movie. It's no Lord of the Rings, but then again few are.

Yeah, I almost sort of kinda liked the WoW movie. Then again, I have zero familiarity with that game aside from anything I've seen or read about it online, so I had zero expectations about the movie. I find that having low or no expectations about an upcoming movie or TV show often helps me to enjoy it more, because I can accept and appreciate it for what it is, instead of being all wrapped up in hating it for what I think it should have been and failed at.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tremuto wrote: »
    Unless they somehow incorporate Dagothwave into the show, my interest will remain lukewarm.

To help tide you over during the wait.

You're welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXRWQefGh1U

And if you can't stand this, then be thankful I didn't link the 10 hour loop instead.

And YOU'RE welcome, too.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like ESO's cinematics, they're pretty neat. If Netflix adaptation follows it, might be very nice... but we know how Netflix adaptations usually are
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that there is hope it will be good, and certainly better than the WoW movie, based on The Wotcher TV series.

I also agree that they need a story that does not play directly off what we have already seen in the games. IMHO it needs to have its own drama and reason for being but based on our TES world.
  • Aptonoth
    Aptonoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    Ignore this post if one was created. I didn't see any topics related to this.

I figured all you fan boys/girls would be drooling over the fact Netflix was developing a Elder Scrolls Show.

Link:
    https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/netflix-reportedly-developing-elder-scrolls-show-big-witcher/

The *** witcher adaptation has made me not like their stuff. Castlevania anime was netflix one hit game adaptation wonder and only one season.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    This could be really good, or it could be really bad. :# Let's hope it's really good.

EDIT: All I can say is, there'd better be mudcrabs!

I agree. WoW is a great example as their movie was really bad.

I quite liked the World of Warcraft movie. It's no Lord of the Rings, but then again few are.

LotR movies give me mixed feelings. On one side I celebrate the attempt to make something as big as Tolkien masterpiece... on the other side the inaccuracies (or misconceptions) give me OCD (I'm still waiting for the fight between Gollum and Sam, or a properly done Sam vs Shelob).

I think a TES serie could cause something similar in me, unless they go for least known stories (a Caius Cosades one would be amazing)
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if they will get mer correct. ZoS doesn't seem to bother with that and loves to give mer human appearance in the cinematics.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elvenheart wrote: »
    Wonder how they will do Khajiits & Argonians. Without those 2 Elder Scrolls universe wont be Elder Scrolls universe.
    Hope it is not gonna be cheap CG, and/or something that appears on screens for 2 seconds.

The recent movie version of Cats was full of Khajiits 😹
    Well, this is exactly how NOT to make "anthropomorphic" characters in movies... unless you are shooting a horror movie, that is. Those cats in "cats" movie re-make were freaking creepy. The original version (1998) had better design, as those were definitely less creepy... but still, far from what it should be like.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on December 28, 2020 11:05PM
  • EmEm_Oh
    EmEm_Oh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rumple9 wrote: »
    Probably an hour of loadscreens

lol
  • Shardaxx
    Shardaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there dragons in it.
    PS4 - Europe - Shardaxx - Wood Elf Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After seeing their loose adaptation of witcher I have doubts about Elder Scrolls adaptation.
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It could be interesting.

They could go in many directions, like making a story around already established heroes like Tiber Septim (that would tie in with Skyrim, the Thu'um, dragons, and a lot of fighting) Ysgramor (an era where nothing is known so it's wide open), the dragon wars etc. Or they could do what they did with Witcher which was a unique story and hero just placed in the world of The Witcher.

Sadly though Netflix seems quick to ax things even if popular and good ratings... see their Marvel shows and some that were canceled this year.
  • brimstone74
    brimstone74
    ✭✭✭
    If it’s Netflix, there will be lots of gratuitous, heterosexual sex scenes; it’ll be set in Skyrim (to minimise CGI Argonians and Khajits - boo!) and it will be very, very, different from Elder Scrolls.

Sure, I’ll give the show a go if it’s ever made, but with the expectations that it’s a TV adaptation for wider audiences.

Heterosexual? Have you even watched Netflix in the last 5 years?
    It's Mundumental!
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not into stuff like that. I don't watch tv or movies. I'd rather play ESO or Skyrim, or read a book.
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bethesda already working with Amazon on a Fallout series and I can't imagine they would give out another license to one of Amazons rivals, so based on that it seems extremely unlikely. I enjoyed Netflix's job on The Witcher so I'd be pretty hyped if it ever turns out to be true.
  • Path
    Path
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I saw it, nearly fell off my chair with excitement. It reckons the Westworld people are making a Fallout series too. I hope they make a great job of the Elder Scrolls one.

Fallout??? I'm in!
    Fairy Tales Really Do Come True...Kinda.
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bethesda already working with Amazon on a Fallout series and I can't imagine they would give out another license to one of Amazons rivals, so based on that it seems extremely unlikely. I enjoyed Netflix's job on The Witcher so I'd be pretty hyped if it ever turns out to be true.

Amazon is making some good moves into the gaming industry.

2023~ Amazon's LOTR mmorpg. Hopefully the game somehow connected to the Amazon LOTR tv series.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OtarTheMad wrote: »
    Sadly though Netflix seems quick to ax things even if popular and good ratings... see their Marvel shows and some that were canceled this year.

Regarding the Marvel shows, I thought their cancellation was mostly due to Disney preparing to launch their own streaming service, so they were terminating their contracts with companies such as Netflix who were streaming Disney-owned content?
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you guys think D Swing will still have the knockback in the show?
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast