The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Need advice on how to enjoy the Cyrodiil campaign

KingJArthur
I've tried to give it a chance several times, as I like the idea of it. But the experience for me consists of either getting wiped out immediately by players, or spending all my time riding my horse through a rugged countryside on scouting missions that have no real impact on the war.

I should clarify, my character is only 190 CP, which explains why I can't go against all the 820 CP veterans--but the only server that seems really active is the one that uses full champion points.

I did have some fun going up and taunting a keep full of enemies, and laughed hard when 80 of them came storming out to squat over my dead body.

Since the times I can play are spontaneous, I don't really have a group to join. Is there any way to enjoy the campaign and feel like you are making a difference when you are not a high level power player?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What helped me was finding a good group to run with. When was new, I would LFG in chat and answer the "type X in chat for group" calls. I took note of which groups I had fun running with.

One of those groups was the PVP guild I eventually joined.

At low CP, I'd encourage you to concentrate on the basics of group play: bring siege weapons, stay on your crown, and don't be so squishy that you are a bomber target. That'll make you in par or better than many if the PUGs I run with and those are basics that a lot of PVP guilds like to see.
  • KingJArthur
    Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

I'm kind of surprised the developers didn't lower the barrier of "feeling like you are contributing" entry by making completed scouting missions (or even bounties) have some kind of real impact on your alliance, even if it's tiny....like temporary visibility of enemies, or small buff for everyone....something.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you need solo activities that make a contribution to the score, I taught myself to solo resources so I could always do something if groups weren't on.

I learned that it helps to kill the tower guards first, then take the flag.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was first starting in PVP, I rolled a new character and went into the under 50 campaign. And played that character until level 50 in that campaign. Then deleted it and started a new character. Did this for every class (before wardens and necros came along) and it really helped gain some level of understanding with combat because fights were able to last a bit longer than they do in the normal campaigns.
  • KingJArthur
    If you need solo activities that make a contribution to the score, I taught myself to solo resources so I could always do something if groups weren't on.

This does sound interesting! I'll need to look into that.
  • KingJArthur
    jaws343 wrote: »
    When I was first starting in PVP, I rolled a new character and went into the under 50 campaign. And played that character until level 50 in that campaign. Then deleted it and started a new character. Did this for every class (before wardens and necros came along) and it really helped gain some level of understanding with combat because fights were able to last a bit longer than they do in the normal campaigns.

Sounds like a good strategy. It is hard to learn the ins and outs of PvP combat when you are always killed before you even know what hit you.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When you're starting out, I'd build tanky with lots of resistance.

Not even for the current meta, just to stay alive long enough in a fight to get used to how things work.

PC NA
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

Sounds like a good strategy. It is hard to learn the ins and outs of PvP combat when you are always killed before you even know what hit you.

It has the added benefit of forcing you to use skills you wouldn't otherwise use in PVP and has you focused on learning to survive with skills that are sub-par. Since your skill lines aren't fully leveled and mostly won't be throughout the leveling process in Cyrodil.

It sounds counter-intuitive that playing with sub-par skills will be helpful, but when you can learn to fight on a mag sorc without shields, or finish kills on a stam character without access to an execute, it really helps you learn the ins and outs of a character and gives you a solid understanding of the capabilities of your skills in certain situations.

While I don't personally level new toons in under 50 Cyrodil anymore, I do level them in BGs and often that means I am running one offensive skill and a bunch of buff skills and figuring out how to win while also making sure I have a skill from each skill line I am leveling on my bar for XP.
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭

~~~

I definitely agree -- that is a good productive way to add something to the battle.

:smiley:
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"