Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Save the login password

Durnik
Durnik
✭✭✭
This has always been a pain in the rear. Let me set the PC to remember the password for login. Especially helpful for when the game crashes often...
Edited by ZOS_Bill on June 27, 2022 11:57PM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, mine saves. Not sure what problem you're having? I have mine set to "Trusted Machine".
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    Eh, mine saves. Not sure what problem you're having? I have mine set to "Trusted Machine".

The trusted machine remembers account name, not PW unless you have something going on my client does not have.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steam takes care of all that for me. :)
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Macro.
    Learn to use one.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • FatFred
    FatFred
    ✭✭✭
    Login via Steam, i don't have the problem
  • Superflytenorguy
    They won't save your password because your angry significant other knows how much you love all your precious collections. Imagine how many tickets zos would get about deleted toons if someone else was logging in to your account. Passwords are a good thing.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    use bat file with "|clip" command to copy your super secret password. At main menu just press CTRL+V.
    You can use such but file to run ESO + TTC + Minions + other useful whatevers with one click.
  • Asys
    Asys
    ✭✭✭✭
    man talk about being lazy
    I need TP for my ***!
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asys wrote: »

I don't know, I had a boss whose password was a lengthy string that had to have been about two dozen characters long if not longer. I've no idea what it was, but we were all gathered in his office one morning for a meeting and watched him log in (from a vantage where we couldn't see which keys he was pressing as his fingers flew across the keyboard). It must have been one of his favorite quotes or something, for him to be able to remember it and type it in so quickly.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At my age, I use my two ESO account passwords which are complex as a means of demonstrating to me that my brain isn't going, I rarely have to look them up to refresh my memory :wink: !

That said, other specific games and Steam more generally do allow the option to remember the password and log in automatically so there's no real reason why it shouldn't be done with ESO, and it can actually be more secure than typing it each time depending on your circumstances.

What I'd also like that is common in other games is to have a drop-down menu for the account name so if you have more than one account you can select which one to log in with each time.

Yes, there are ways of getting round such issues, but there's no real reason why a modern user-friendly launcher can't address them in the first place.
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree. The game should just log you in. Logging in everytime is just a relic from MMO's decades old.
    At least have an option to do it.
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Or you could use notepad/any post it type thing to copy your password for ESO to, and then do copy paste when you need to. Hint; don't name it "ESO password". Best if you're the only one using that computer.
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asys wrote: »
    So do you also claim that anyone who uses another launcher is lazy as well (i.e. Steam, EPIC, Blizzard, etc) ? 🤦‍♂️ Those apps all contain multiple games and multiple purchases as well and all include a password save and automatic login feature. The OPTION should be there for ESO as well. Better 2FA and maybe even an authenticator of sorts could be a better alternative to use to ensure security. I completely agree with others here that not having an option to save a password for a video game is simply a relic that should be locked away in a vault indefinitely. Until then, macro software like AutoHotkey works perfect to quickly fill in the password filled with a key press/combination, and it can even hit enter to login. I'll enjoy my "lazy" convenience over unnecessary security measures that I choose not to need. B)
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's for our own good.

I was helping out a friend, and logged in on their laptop and did some stuff in game.
    Couple days later I get an email notifying me of failed login on my account
    Changed the password.
    If I had not had the PW required to be manually input - (which IMHO does Not take a whole lot of effort) - bad things could have happened
    You never know the future. You might be logging in on a different system.

:#
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    barney2525 wrote: »
    It's for our own good.

I was helping out a friend, and logged in on their laptop and did some stuff in game.
    Couple days later I get an email notifying me of failed login on my account
    Changed the password.
    If I had not had the PW required to be manually input - (which IMHO does Not take a whole lot of effort) - bad things could have happened
    You never know the future. You might be logging in on a different system.

:#

That situation is nothing to do with this thread. It's up to individual players if they want to imprint their login information on someone else's machine, all people who follow normal protocols are asking for is an option to make things a bit easier in their rather more secure circumstances, in accordance with standard arrangements on modern game launchers.
  • marcmyb14_ESO
    marcmyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The arguments against not saving password are all nonsense. "it's for our own good". I live alone, I keep my system very secure, no one has access to it but me, and my passwords are randomized, so I don't know them. This means I have to go into another program to copy and paste the password every time I login. This actually poses another security risk because instead of being saved somewhere on your PC, you could accidentally paste your password in a public forum. So in my case, having my password saved would be the most secure option, as well as much more convenient. This option should be available for us to choose. Don't tell us "you wouldn't want it for 100 reasons". That's nonsense and quite frankly insulting.
    GM Oghma Infinium - Ebonheart Pact
    VR14 Imperial Dragonknight - Indualis Decimius
    VR14 High Elf Sorcerer - Arienna Stormcaller
    VR1 Dark Elf Dragonknight - Flame and Shadow
    26 Khajiit Nightblade - J'Kaaz Vulon
    10 Breton Templar - Sam Guevene
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daim wrote: »
    Agree. The game should just log you in. Logging in everytime is just a relic from MMO's decades old.
    This, look at how Google and MS does this, however ESO should also use two-factor authentication.
    Have the option to log in. you might want to require login, say you have kids.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Though an old thread, the request is still valid. I live alone and no one has access to my puter. I should have the option of asking the game to remember my password. There are so many keystrokes involved in logging in to ESO it does not surprise me that so many players go afk for long periods (like to go have lunch) instead of logging out and logging back in.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • ramsonmodub17_ESO
    zaria wrote: »
    daim wrote: »
    This, look at how Google and MS does this, however ESO should also use two-factor authentication.
    Have the option to log in. you might want to require login, say you have kids.

Say you don't have kids or a roommate or a snoopy landlord. It would be nice for those of us over 60.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this thread is over two years old, we will now close the thread from further comments.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.