The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Will we ever get back to "play the way you want"? PvE version

• Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can play the way you want now! But you'll suck if you choose the wrong way.
    Like above.

If you play how you like you gotta be able to take the toxicity. Or to SOLO everything. Just look at the FAKE Tank thread....
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Varana wrote: »
    I'm levelling my banking alt through crafting writs. She's level 25 now.
    It's definitely possible, just very, very slow.

How then, will you get enough skill points to fill out your skill trees.? Because if you say skyshards or quests, we are back at square 1
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wait.
    You get skill points from levelling, from PvE (quests and dungeons), from PvP, from exploration...

... and you assumed you could get all of them just by crafting?

Really?

I'd really like to see the announcement where they supposedly "promised" that. :D
  • DTStormfox
    DTStormfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the end, you decide the way you want to play and the developer decides if that way is effective or not. They are in control of the buttons, cogs and wheels of the game. This has some benefits but also some limitations. I guess the best option is to just go with the flow. I would assume that ZOS uses meta-data to find out what ways are too effective (overpowered) and not effective at all (underpowered) and balance the game accordingly.
    Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
    Veteran PvP player

• Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone can play as they want and always could for most parts of the game. You can pick a playstyle and build around it. The problem is that alot of ppl mistake this for "you dont have to learn anything about the game and you dont need to make propper builds".
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Varana wrote: »
    Wait.
    You get skill points from levelling, from PvE (quests and dungeons), from PvP, from exploration...

... and you assumed you could get all of them just by crafting?

Really?

I'd really like to see the announcement where they supposedly "promised" that. :D

Was told in one of the interviews back then.. So I hoped it was true for once.. Yet another letdown :smile: many game companies have made that promise, and none have delivered
  • Inaya
    Inaya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have played exactly the way I wanted since I came to this game 2 years ago and will always do so. I don't need BIS and "progression" to enjoy the game. I left WOW and my server first mythic guild and grinding for gear that becomes obsolete at the next expansion in a game that has very little other content.

I like that ESO can be about the journey and not a race to the end. There is more to do than I will ever be able to get done and it's never boring. Do I suck at the game? I guess that depends on how you look at it. Can you suck at not doing something you have no interest in?
    Edited by Inaya on November 2, 2020 2:26PM
  • Naftal
    Naftal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GFiNtHg.jpg

I don't think this even tries to imply that "you can do whatever you want and be rewarded from everything".

It's like being mad that I can't fish by killing enemies or I can't craft to get pvp kills from the crafting station.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me personally, I wish they would quit changing rules to accommodate one group or the other. I've not played Cyrodiil since Battle Spirit (or whatever it's called) was introduced. I also miss the days of using the right skill to counter another play style, for instance casting that dark sphere thing (templar skill can't remember the name cause I don't' use it anymore) around ranged players perched on top of a keep and watching them kill themselves because it reflected all of their projectile damage back onto them (not all damage they could always change to melee or just stop firing until the sphere ran out). Or Silver shards for a chance at one shot kills on wolves and vamps (never use that one anymore either).
    Edit: oh, or how about The rapids morph that would dismiss all roots and allow you to move when surrounded 10 to 1 giving you a "chance" to get away or take at least one of them down with you.
    Edited by Casdha on November 2, 2020 2:59PM
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• alanmatillab16_ESO
    alanmatillab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this right here is why damage meters should be banned. There is always someone whining for nerfs and buffs because their chosen class does 2% more or less dps than another.

It is a vicious circle, the minimax damage meter (insert name for someone who offers their body for money) complain the end game content is not hard enough for them so developers create content of a higher difficulty the meta gamers find the optimum build and abilities, the developers nerf those abilities screwing over the rest of us and the meta gamers move on to the next hot build that gives them an extra 2% on their epeen-o-meter and the circle starts again.

Edited by alanmatillab16_ESO on November 2, 2020 2:47PM
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every class can already fill every role. If they were all equal in every respect we would only need 1 class.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why cant we use 2 handed weapons or sword and board as a DPS in PVE!
    I always main a sword and board nord in TES games and that is my main in this, so no point for guessing what role I got pigeon holed in to.

The play the way you want slogan is crap and false.
    Can I play a stam DPS with 54 attributes in magika and 10 in health.....no

It was clear from day 1 that they intended for DKs to be tanks, templars healers, sorcs mag dd ad nighblades PVP orientated.

Still, not all things have to be meta, play for fun. While you might breeze through a vet hm trial following a meta build team, having fun is more important, it is a video game after all.
    I have specific off build characters that i use for fun.
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    valeriiya wrote: »
    My main is a Mag DK and I love it but there's definitely end game content I don't get invited to and that's fine. The idea of grinding a new character and farming gear for an end game trial sounds miserable to me.

Why no invite because of mag DK?
    What is wrong with mag DK?
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »

Why cant we use 2 handed weapons or sword and board as a DPS in PVE!

You can, 2H DDs are excellent in PvE

You can also use a sword and board, not as well but you can.
    Stinkyremy wrote: »
    The play the way you want slogan is crap and false.
    Can I play a stam DPS with 54 attributes in magika and 10 in health.....no

False! You can, not well, but you can.

ESO is and will always be an MMORPG, MMORPGs have rules based on the mechanics of the game.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • StevieKingslayer
    StevieKingslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im a magplar in trials.
    Its punishing, but feels amazing when I pull it off.
    I am demanding better customer service from Zenimax Studios.
    I am demanding better and more open communication between the devs & the playerbase.
    Majin Stevie || Iothane || Nymphetamine
    PVP || PVE
    Player since beta.
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can always play how you want,and solo alot of content in pve.You seem to be confusing "play how you want" casual playing to "be best in game" meta endgame content.No matter how they try to balance,people wil find best combos to outdo others.Only way to truly balance is give everyone same stats,abilities,skills,and gear sets.Even then it's also about player skill,speed,lag,dexterity.
  • Itzmichi
    Itzmichi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like OP and most of the other people are true endgamers and scorepushers I never heard of before. The fact alone that you haven't seen a magplar in a trial makes me laugh. I mean sure if you are one of these ultra tryhardens then everything matters: specc, class and race but if you just a dude playing the game for some achievements and stuff you can basically bring whatever class you like.

So yeah, highly depends on your own ambition and goals. I can play a stamina toon as same as a magicka toon. But why would I want to make it harder for myself and the group if I can make a smarter choice?

Long Story short, biased thread and I don't understand its point.
    Here, have a chill pill 💊!
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    this right here is why damage meters should be banned. There is always someone whining for nerfs and buffs because their chosen class does 2% more or less dps than another.

It is a vicious circle, the minimax damage meter (insert name for someone who offers their body for money) complain the end game content is not hard enough for them so developers create content of a higher difficulty the meta gamers find the optimum build and abilities, the developers nerf those abilities screwing over the rest of us and the meta gamers move on to the next hot build that gives them an extra 2% on their epeen-o-meter and the circle starts again.

Before there were damage meters, there was the Bloodspawn test.
    Players would go into Spindleclutch 2, a tank would taunt and debuff Bloodspawn, and your task was to kill the gargoyle as quickly as possible. The time you took was your "dps meter".

Players will always find a way to measure performance.
    Because that is important to find optimal strategies in a game.

"Play as you want" does not mean "every possible action is equal to all others", and was never supposed to mean that.
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanguinor2 wrote: »
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    Templar tanks are inferior in every way bcz well they bring nothing to the table but you can still clear 90% of the content as 1.

I templar tank in a DB prog group. Wanna know what I tank in trash and each boss?
    In trash I only debuff and chain small adds, mt takes all big adds and is fine.
    On 1st boss I only guard a dd or the mt and play as healer otherwise.
    On 2nd boss I only guard a dd or the mt and play as healer otherwise.
    On 3rd boss I only guard the mt and play as a healer otherwise.
    Sure feel valuable as a tank when after 1 blocked heavy from anything big I have to pray for my healer to burst heal me fast enough since the only way I can burst heal myself is if either all the group is dead for repentance or all enemies are dead for repentance.

Boils down to build and play experience man. I have a templar tank and he's awesome. I've taken him into the same trial back-to-back nights and played as a main tank the first run, then as a main healer the second run - without changing champ points or armor. He's very strong, even in vet content, but you have to get used to playing a mag-oriented tank rather than being stam-oriented. Where I lose some utility is that I sub time-stop in for silver leash, but that is just about dealing with the pros/cons of your build. You'll never make a templar tank do everything a DK tank can do. But having played BOTH classes as pure tanks, I can tell you that there are also things my templar tank can do that my DK tank can't, which is why more often than not, when I'm running dungeons with 3 DPS, I'd rather play my templar tank than my DK tank.
  • MirandaSharp
    MirandaSharp
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamina is king

-In PvE? -Really? -Have i missed something?
    Check out the newest Alcast builds for Markarth DLC, the top damage and sustain builds are all mag builds.. Why do you say stamina builds are now OP?
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybrids have some meaningful changes pending right now in PTS: light/heavy attacks scaling from highest resource. This does not benefit Magicka directly, but it shows they are aware players miss, oh you know, AN ELDER SCROLLS TRADITION, playing how you want, blending the styles of magic and physical combat.

Perhaps this is something they want to balance first before making any further changes to magicka? Otherwise, they may tip the scales too far in magickas favor.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Since we're back on the Stamina is king train ... AGAIN... are the devs ever going to get it right, where all magicka and all stamina builds are mostly equal?
    I'm referring to things like... Magplar DPS in vet trials. I haven't seen one in ages. Magden DPS in vet trials, I'm the only one in my 2 PvE guilds. Templar and Sorc tanks (there are some but it's not common), NB and DK healers (more than there used to be but still not common), DK DPS, and the list goes on.

Yes, it is possible to play any build on any class, but on some, DPS is limited (if you can do 80k on a magicka warden, great. Most people can't even do a measly 35k) Templar tanking is possible, but it has a lot of drawbacks. DK and NB healing is possible, even in vet trials, but only very dedicated healers use these classes. I get tired of seeing the same group compositions in every trial.

If you play on your own mostly it never changed. If you are trying to do Trials and Dungeon groups whether pugs or with guilds they will always have BiS and will look to have that.