Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cannot start ESO

whyterose
whyterose
✭✭✭
I have not played ESO for a few months, but now when I try to play the game it will not load. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, I am using Direct X 12 and have deleted the ProgramData folder.
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @whyterose

Could you provide some further detail on what is failing to load?

Are you able to open the ESO Launcher?

What happens when you click the Play button?

Do you get any specific error messages?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • whyterose
    whyterose
    ✭✭✭
    The ESO Launcher opens, but when I select "Play" nothing happens, the game does not load and I do not receive any error messages.
  • ZOS_Adrikoth
    ZOS_Adrikoth
    admin
    Hey there @whyterose

Please be sure to try the troubleshooting steps in this article!
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Staff Post
  • whyterose
    whyterose
    ✭✭✭
    Hey there @whyterose

Please be sure to try the troubleshooting steps in this article!

I have referred to your linked article before posting ESO will not start because I work in the IT field. If this is the only assistance you will provide, that's ok I can always play something else.
  • whyterose
    whyterose
    ✭✭✭
    It is interesting that the software for my Radeon RX 580 does not display ESO in the Gaming/Games location. When I try to start ESO via the Launcher the game does not start but after a few minutes after my screen goes black I look in Task Manager and have to End the Process for ESO since it will not start.
  • seamusb14_ESO
    seamusb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    You are not alone with having problems with the Launcher not working properly. Like you I did their troubleshooting advice and it showed nothing. The Launcher just drags and I end up getting error messages or I have to go into Task Manager and kill the process. When I posted my problem I included screengrabs showing the error messages with Task Manager running just below it so I could watch the CPU, Memory, and HD to see if any of those were stopping the Launcher process. Not a problem with those three and my white list for my anti-virus software had the Launcher there so it isn't that. My Launcher problem started last weekend and has not gone back to a regular operating mode. I am thinking about just deleting it and reloading the entire game as I am starting to feel that the Launcher is corrupted. How who knows, but that is what my gut is telling me (and like you I used to work in the field plus have my degree...retired now)
  • skibum334b14_ESO
    skibum334b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Same issue here, thought I would come back to the game this week after being away about a year or so.

Downloaded it fresh, went through troubleshooting guide etc. as you both explain above. Stuck at the game not launching after I hit Play button. Submitted ticket yesterday afternoon so we'll see where this goes, otherwise guess I need to dispute the charge given I can't load the game.
  • skibum334b14_ESO
    skibum334b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Finally came across something in Reddit, seems like OneDrive was conflicting with the game through document backup. Tried this from what someone else posted and it worked immediately! Hope it works for you both as well.

HypotheticalHuman
    1 point
    ·
    1 year ago
    ·
    edited 1 year ago
    Not sure if you are still having the same issue but I was able to fix it on my end by deleting the "Elder Scrolls Online" folder found in your documents. Apparently Onedrive was syncing all those files and when I restored the files they were interfering with the launcher. Basically in that folder is where mods and other logs are stored and the game wasn't able to open because the mods and files were interfering.
  • whyterose
    whyterose
    ✭✭✭
    Finally came across something in Reddit, seems like OneDrive was conflicting with the game through document backup. Tried this from what someone else posted and it worked immediately! Hope it works for you both as well.

HypotheticalHuman
    1 point
    ·
    1 year ago
    ·
    edited 1 year ago
    Not sure if you are still having the same issue but I was able to fix it on my end by deleting the "Elder Scrolls Online" folder found in your documents. Apparently Onedrive was syncing all those files and when I restored the files they were interfering with the launcher. Basically in that folder is where mods and other logs are stored and the game wasn't able to open because the mods and files were interfering.

This worked! Thank you so much!
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As the OP has found a resolution for getting ESO started, we will now be closing the discussion going forward.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.