The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

GW2 more stuttering than ESO

ChaosWotan
ChaosWotan
✭✭✭✭✭
Complaining is caring but ESO gets a lot of salt in this forum, so to be fair it's okay to mention that ESO is not the only mmorpg that never fixes lag and/or stuttering and/or latency.

In lack of enough fun or challenging solo pve content in ESO it was time to install GW2 on my new computer.

And the mouse stuttering in GW2 is rather horrible, on max settings, outside cities, while ESO on ultra is usually fine when being inside large trading cities.

But to make a proper comparison between the two games, I will appreciate it if anybody can give me some advice on optimizing GW2. I will register at the official GW2 discussion forum, and ask for help there, but might as well ask you guys too.

My system:

10900k, 5.1 ghz OC.
2080 Super
64 gb ram
G604 wireless, G HUB software.
DSR x 4 in Nvidia control panel
238 G-sync, with Riva Tuner.

Have tried the following:

DPI polling set to 500, 250, 125

Disabled DPI scaling in-game

Reduced Character Model Limit to medium.

Set reflections to None in-game.

No keyboard stuttering, but the mouse is just bad...

Any way to fix this?

I know about d912pxy but prefer not to install open source software, if I can avoid it.
Edited by ChaosWotan on August 30, 2020 3:05PM
  • _adhyffbjjjf12
    _adhyffbjjjf12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChaosWotan wrote: »
    Complaining is caring but ESO gets a lot of salt in this forum, so to be fair it's okay to mention that ESO is not the only mmorpg that never fixes lag and/or stuttering and/or latency.

In lack of enough fun or challenging solo pve content in ESO it was time to install GW2 on my new computer.

And the mouse stuttering in GW2 is rather horrible, on max settings, outside cities, while ESO on ultra is usually fine when being inside large trading cities.

But to make a proper comparison between the two games, I will appreciate it if anybody can give me some advice on optimizing GW2. I will register at the official GW2 discussion forum, and ask for help there, but might as well ask you guys too.

My system:

10900k, 5.1 ghz OC.
    2080 Super
    64 gb ram
    G604 wireless, G HUB software.
    DSR x 4 in Nvidia control panel
    238 G-sync, with Riva Tuner.

Have tried the following:

DPI polling set to 500, 250, 125

Disabled DPI scaling in-game

Reduced Character Model Limit to medium.

Set reflections to None in-game.

No keyboard stuttering, but the mouse is just bad...

Any way to fix this?

I know about d912pxy but prefer not to install open source software, if I can avoid it.

GW2 is single core dependant, your pc should be as smooth as butter, its better than mine and I have no issues (maxed out on everything apart from shadows that is set to High. @ 4.5 gz I7 i get 50 fps in cities. Graphics card is under utilised, its the speed of the main core that's the bottleneck.

Comparison:

GW2 needs a good intel chip, mass pvp is solid with no issues and FAR FAR more aoe than ESO. Unfortunately story telling and pve is pretty juvenile and plain awful at times.

ESO, better gfx (lighting in particular), but its built on a hacked donkey of an engine that was not designed for large scale mmorpg, that's clearly being manipulated by inexperienced developers (e.g the main quest line of Murkmire just got broken by the latest patch indicating poor practices and possible poorly encapsulated code). Engine may also partially be black box. As a result ESO is the worst performing mmorpg by far, and probably the buggiest AAA game every written (that's going back to the 80s) However, it is the best PVE mmorpg by far, and Elder Scrolls lore is awesome :)
    Edited by _adhyffbjjjf12 on August 30, 2020 3:38PM
    Options
  • Eifleber
    Eifleber
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Comparison:

GW2 needs a good intel chip, mass pvp is solid with no issues and FAR FAR more aoe than ESO.
    Unfortunately story telling and pve is pretty juvenile and plain awful at times.

ESO, better gfx (lighting in particular), but its built on a hacked donkey of an engine that was not designed for large scale mmorpg, that's clearly being manipulated by inexperienced developers (e.g the main quest line of Murkmire just got broken by the latest patch indicating poor practices and possible poorly encapsulated code). Engine may also partially be black box. As a result ESO is the worst performing mmorpg by far, and probably the buggiest AAA game every written (that's going back to the 80s) However, it is the best PVE mmorpg by far, and Elder Scrolls lore is awesome :)
    Agreed. GW2 engine is way more solid, these (former Blizzard) people really have it under control.
    Also the streaming updates with hardly any downtime is really fantastic. Compared with regular 1 day+ delays in ESO.

But indeed, GW2 graphics aren't that pretty and content-wise, the rpg and story part are very meagre compared to the TES legacy.
    Edited by Eifleber on August 30, 2020 3:43PM

Playing since dec 2019 | PC EU
    Options
  • BazOfWar
    BazOfWar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I played GW2 from launch up to 2 years ago when i quit but it used to run absolutely fine for me in PVE and your RIG is a lot better than what i had at the time. WVW on the other hand is a completely different ball game, when 3 zergs meet on the battlefield the game becomes unplayable.

The trouble with mmo's these days is that they take soooooo long to develop that when they are finally released the game engine is outdated and the customer pc's/hardware far exceeds them. As someone said above, you can have the best rig in the world with 5gz quad core cpu but GW2 will only utilize 1.

what i did to make GW2 run a little smoother was go into the settings and lower player visualisations, animations, LOS-line of sight etc..
    Edited by BazOfWar on August 30, 2020 3:47PM
    Options
  • ZOS_ConnorG
    Greetings all,

After review we have closed this thread as its topic doesn't relate to ESO closely enough. While it is acceptable to compare one or more games to ESO this thread crosses the line.

You are welcome to review the Community Rules here.
    Options
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.