The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Still no changes to Burning Light passive?

• montiferus
    montiferus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the change is working as the devs intended. Good job all around making this skill just as viable in pve as prior while nerfing in pvp

That is not accurate. It is still viable for "certain" PVE builds not all builds/rotations based on PTS.
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    heaven13 wrote: »
    jecks33 wrote: »
    "Burning Light: This passive has been slightly reworked so that the damage now triggers when you deal damage 4 times within rapid succession to an enemy with an Aedric Spear ability, rather than having a 25% chance to proc per hit. Note that the time window is long enough that abilities that hit at least once every second between will continue to proc this passive."

People have tested the reworked passive on pts proving that the window is no long enough. How many patches we have to wait untill it's fixed?

Tested it with Blazing Spear and feel no change at all. Most magplars use it anyways, despite its high cost, as it is the only way to proc Burning Light as a ranged magplar. Actually, I like the change from random 25% proc chance going to every 4th tick. Statisticaly, it's the same as before but it is much more reliable now.

Except Blazing Spear is apparently not ticking enough. I've done parses on PTS. Using a ranged set up with Elemental Weapon as my spammable, Burning Light hits approximately 50 times on the trial dummy. By switching to jabs spammable (literally nothing else changes), Burning Light hits 100 times. "4 times within rapid succession" is... what because whatever it is, it forces magplars into melee to make the most of that passive.

Well, jabs adds a ton of extra Aedric Spear hits, so of course using it as a spammable will proc Burning Light more than using something else. That's not anything new. You're just proccing it every 4th hit instead of once every 4 hits on average (which, over the course of a long PvE fight should pretty consistently result in nearly identical damage).
    Edited by the1andonlyskwex on August 7, 2020 1:51AM
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Due to how Burning Light works now you dont even need large parses to see its effect. Even short duration showing it pretty obvious. On ranged build with 10 casts of Shards and without Jabs
    In PvE solo-target it improvement, coz it will make it averagely same, just without rng calculations:
    Live:
    BL-live.png
    PTS:
    BL-pts.png
    Kinda same amount of ticks the longer fight is going. With Jabs it will store damage faster, so atleast small benefit for melee spec.

However as AoE, it will reduce total procs for like twice, because when you hit large amount of mobs its 25% chance will simply proc on cooldown so it almsot guaranteed to proc twice per second, but new BL will proc only on 1 target no matter what:
    Live:
    BL-livex2.png
    PTS:
    BL-aoe-pts.png
    Only problem in using range spec with Shards but without Jabs is that it will require perfect rotations of casting Shards because if you wont manage to cast it within 1sec of last tick of previous Sahrds - all stored stacks of BL will reset and you simply waste BL proc.

So, if ZOS goal exact same - make BL perform similarly in single target parse, and twice weaker in AoE parse, then only solution to it that will keep PvE parses exact same but will make BL to work in PvP - is change BL stacks as your char global buff, instead of debuff on enemy. It will be also small improvement in PvE because it wont be that punishing to not have perfect recasting of Shards that would waste BL proc, like described above.
  • Koubo
    Koubo
    ✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »
    Due to how Burning Light works now you dont even need large parses to see its effect. Even short duration showing it pretty obvious. On ranged build with 10 casts of Shards and without Jabs
    In PvE solo-target it improvement, coz it will make it averagely same, just without rng calculations:
    Live:
    BL-live.png
    PTS:
    BL-pts.png
    Kinda same amount of ticks the longer fight is going. With Jabs it will store damage faster, so atleast small benefit for melee spec.

However as AoE, it will reduce total procs for like twice, because when you hit large amount of mobs its 25% chance will simply proc on cooldown so it almsot guaranteed to proc twice per second, but new BL will proc only on 1 target no matter what:
    Live:
    BL-livex2.png
    PTS:
    BL-aoe-pts.png
    Only problem in using range spec with Shards but without Jabs is that it will require perfect rotations of casting Shards because if you wont manage to cast it within 1sec of last tick of previous Sahrds - all stored stacks of BL will reset and you simply waste BL proc.

So, if ZOS goal exact same - make BL perform similarly in single target parse, and twice weaker in AoE parse, then only solution to it that will keep PvE parses exact same but will make BL to work in PvP - is change BL stacks as your char global buff, instead of debuff on enemy. It will be also small improvement in PvE because it wont be that punishing to not have perfect recasting of Shards that would waste BL proc, like described above.

I like the idear and thanks for the effort on trying and testing. The change will reduce the damage done to Templars for PvP. Still, the others changes will hurts anyway. And my hope are really really low at the moment. Sadly. Both my main characters are Templars, one Stam and the other one is Mag. *FeelBadsMan*
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Koubo wrote: »
    Cinbri wrote: »
    Live:
    BL-live.png
    PTS:
    BL-pts.png

Live:
    BL-livex2.png
    PTS:
    BL-aoe-pts.png

I like the idear and thanks for the effort on trying and testing. The change will reduce the damage done to Templars for PvP. Still, the others changes will hurts anyway. And my hope are really really low at the moment. Sadly. Both my main characters are Templars, one Stam and the other one is Mag. *FeelBadsMan*

Sadly no amount of feedback will make any difference as the devs just ignore it all.
    At this point I don't even understand why they make these threads to collect feedback, when their mind is already made up anyway.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm glad that I was prevented from posting for a few days because had I seen this earlier, I would have went on a tirade. All I can say is the changes to templar prove that this game is an unbalanced POS and that is aided by terrible decisions from people that apparently do not play the game.

It was said many times before that balance-makers aren't playing the game, and I always thought "yeah but there is some logic at least." Here, no. It's literally just tossing nerfs around to a class that's already bad, but was propped up by a stupid mythic item (Stragglers) and false god's -- both getting nerfed.

Another case of nerfing classes because of gear; gear that should never have made it to live in the first place! You can't make this up! It's a meme at this point.

What are they going to do next? Strip NB of the crit healing and crit damage bonus and replace it with nothing but a little more damage on that stupid slow projectile skill because heals might be out of control due to a few sets in the game existing that they mysterious refuse to nerf? I can see it happening now.
  • Appo
    Appo
    ✭✭✭
    So disappointing from ZoS, templar has been absolutely gutted, its a pointless class in PvP now, ruined!
    Edited by Appo on August 8, 2020 2:26PM
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Burning Light: This passive has been slightly reworked so that the damage now triggers when you deal damage 4 times within rapid succession to an enemy with an Aedric Spear ability, rather than having a 25% chance to proc per hit. Note that the time window is long enough that abilities that hit at least once every second between will continue to proc this passive."

People have tested the reworked passive on pts proving that the window is no long enough. How many patches we have to wait untill it's fixed?

Tested it with Blazing Spear and feel no change at all. Most magplars use it anyways, despite its high cost, as it is the only way to proc Burning Light as a ranged magplar. Actually, I like the change from random 25% proc chance going to every 4th tick. Statisticaly, it's the same as before but it is much more reliable now.

A passive that only certain Templar playstyles can benefit from is a bad passive though.
  • TwinLamps
    TwinLamps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »

Well, with jabs spamming on a dummy, it comes out to about equal/almost better than the current live version.

Unfortunately this team only cares about spreadsheet balancing and doesnt understand that not every templar just spams jabs 24/7.

And as per usual, they have set up multiple feedback channels, just so they can ignore it all.

Edit: And before i forget, they are changing/nerfing one of the most iconic passives in the game, and not so much of a whiff of a dev comment or anything.
    Meanwhile they bend a single strand of hair on sorcerers head, and an entire dissertations worth dev comments appear.

Would love to meet templar that doesnt spam jabs
    Would buy it a tasty beverage
    maybe even a snack
    Awake, but at what cost
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can agree that stamplars spam jabs. This change is subtle for them. They will still use dawnbreaker ult and jabs in pve and in pvp onslaught ult will still work best on that massive 6 second stun burst combo of PoTL, piercing javelin and jabs.

Can anybody else agree that this crushes magplars in both pve and pvp? Its not like magplars were top dps and lets not forget how situational alot of their strong skills are for anything other than a test dummy.

The reality is that this will barely hurt stamplars and be a fairly big nerf to magplars. If they go live with this change i would only beg that developers compensate and adjust the balanced warrior passive to actually be balanced. Increase weapon and spell damage by 6%.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    TwinLamps wrote: »
    Firstmep wrote: »

Well, with jabs spamming on a dummy, it comes out to about equal/almost better than the current live version.

Unfortunately this team only cares about spreadsheet balancing and doesnt understand that not every templar just spams jabs 24/7.

And as per usual, they have set up multiple feedback channels, just so they can ignore it all.

Edit: And before i forget, they are changing/nerfing one of the most iconic passives in the game, and not so much of a whiff of a dev comment or anything.
    Meanwhile they bend a single strand of hair on sorcerers head, and an entire dissertations worth dev comments appear.

Would love to meet templar that doesnt spam jabs
    Would buy it a tasty beverage
    maybe even a snack

My magplar is ranged dark flare+javelin, works pretty well in bgs, great damage and javelin is an amazing cc, and it hits super hard.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    I can agree that stamplars spam jabs. This change is subtle for them. They will still use dawnbreaker ult and jabs in pve and in pvp onslaught ult will still work best on that massive 6 second stun burst combo of PoTL, piercing javelin and jabs.

Can anybody else agree that this crushes magplars in both pve and pvp? Its not like magplars were top dps and lets not forget how situational alot of their strong skills are for anything other than a test dummy.

The reality is that this will barely hurt stamplars and be a fairly big nerf to magplars. If they go live with this change i would only beg that developers compensate and adjust the balanced warrior passive to actually be balanced. Increase weapon and spell damage by 6%.

It will hurt stamplars in pvp, they gutted power of the light and on pts its bugged, in pvp it barely explodes for 3-4k dmg max.

Also the new burning light stacks have 1 second duration, if your target dodgeroll lets say your javelin, you just lost your stack and can start over.
    Not to mention stamplar is already a glass cannon class, now they have taken away the cannon portion its just glass.
  • x48rph
    x48rph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Between Jab (which is cluncky from what i read) BL (which cannot provide a good PvP burst anymore) Backlash (fixed result in a nerf for PvP again. IDK the impact for PvE) and, finally, RoR nerf : Templars are going to be in the mediocre pool for next patchs and it's a shame ZOS dosent bother to take a look at what we're reporting.

at this point, just close this forum.

Happens to every class. Their time to shine is over for now, it'll come back around eventually. Just more of ZOS constantly moving the bar in the name of this mythical thing called balance that never has and never will exist , it's just code for "Here , go grind for the new shiny class/gear/thing/whatever"
  • Koubo
    Koubo
    ✭✭✭
    x48rph wrote: »
    Between Jab (which is cluncky from what i read) BL (which cannot provide a good PvP burst anymore) Backlash (fixed result in a nerf for PvP again. IDK the impact for PvE) and, finally, RoR nerf : Templars are going to be in the mediocre pool for next patchs and it's a shame ZOS dosent bother to take a look at what we're reporting.

Happens to every class. Their time to shine is over for now, it'll come back around eventually. Just more of ZOS constantly moving the bar in the name of this mythical thing called balance that never has and never will exist , it's just code for "Here , go grind for the new shiny class/gear/thing/whatever"

Well, the time to shine in PvP is probably from anothere era i didn't know. Un PvE it was strong but not the best (as MagDD at least) I also wished they could rework a little the class overhall, but i suppose it's pointless so...
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just remove the “burning” part and change to to “blinding” light...after every forth damaging aedric spear, player gains 100% dodge chance for 4 seconds.... then we can at least somewhat play our new Turn-BasedPlars....
    Edited by UppGRAYxDD on August 8, 2020 7:09PM
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    x48rph wrote: »

Well, the time to shine in PvP is probably from anothere era i didn't know. Un PvE it was strong but not the best (as MagDD at least) I also wished they could rework a little the class overhall, but i suppose it's pointless so...

We were promised an overhaul, it's likely coming after they finish their testing for cyrodiil.
    I'm pretty curious what they come up with, the pain point list for templars at this point is multiple pages long.
    And we are talking about legitimate issues, like useless passives and skills, not cries for buffs.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it would be shorter to list what is not a templar pain point.
    Edited by Drdeath20 on August 8, 2020 8:02PM