The maintenance is complete and the PTS is now back online. The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test!
The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Still no changes to Burning Light passive?

jecks33
jecks33
✭✭✭✭✭
"Burning Light: This passive has been slightly reworked so that the damage now triggers when you deal damage 4 times within rapid succession to an enemy with an Aedric Spear ability, rather than having a 25% chance to proc per hit. Note that the time window is long enough that abilities that hit at least once every second between will continue to proc this passive."

People have tested the reworked passive on pts proving that the window is no long enough. How many patches we have to wait untill it's fixed?
PC-EU
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    jecks33 wrote: »
    "Burning Light: This passive has been slightly reworked so that the damage now triggers when you deal damage 4 times within rapid succession to an enemy with an Aedric Spear ability, rather than having a 25% chance to proc per hit. Note that the time window is long enough that abilities that hit at least once every second between will continue to proc this passive."

People have tested the reworked passive on pts proving that the window is no long enough. How many patches we have to wait untill it's fixed?

Well, with jabs spamming on a dummy, it comes out to about equal/almost better than the current live version.

Unfortunately this team only cares about spreadsheet balancing and doesnt understand that not every templar just spams jabs 24/7.

And as per usual, they have set up multiple feedback channels, just so they can ignore it all.

Edit: And before i forget, they are changing/nerfing one of the most iconic passives in the game, and not so much of a whiff of a dev comment or anything.
    Meanwhile they bend a single strand of hair on sorcerers head, and an entire dissertations worth dev comments appear.
    Edited by Firstmep on August 4, 2020 8:35AM
  • Gorreck
    Gorreck
    ✭✭✭
    It is very unlikely anything will be changed on PTS, usually this sort of stuff goes live for weeks or months before any change may or may not happen. Just how it is unfortunately.
  • Koubo
    Koubo
    ✭✭✭
    Between Jab (which is cluncky from what i read) BL (which cannot provide a good PvP burst anymore) Backlash (fixed result in a nerf for PvP again. IDK the impact for PvE) and, finally, RoR nerf : Templars are going to be in the mediocre pool for next patchs and it's a shame ZOS dosent bother to take a look at what we're reporting.

at this point, just close this forum.
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So we won't be able to proc this passive at all, then? Since AOEs can only be used once every 3 seconds. Unless they are re-working jabs into single target.
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • kingsforged
    kingsforged
    ✭✭✭
    red_emu wrote: »
    So we won't be able to proc this passive at all, then? Since AOEs can only be used once every 3 seconds. Unless they are re-working jabs into single target.

You're assuming any of this has actually been properly thought through... :D
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Koubo wrote: »
    Between Jab (which is cluncky from what i read) BL (which cannot provide a good PvP burst anymore) Backlash (fixed result in a nerf for PvP again. IDK the impact for PvE) and, finally, RoR nerf : Templars are going to be in the mediocre pool for next patchs and it's a shame ZOS dosent bother to take a look at what we're reporting.

Nah, just run procsets and full speed meta and it'll be fine.
    Or go full crit dmg and 1 shot ppl in no cp with crit rush.
    Ofc neither of those is related to Templar but the choices are there.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Tested it with Blazing Spear and feel no change at all. Most magplars use it anyways, despite its high cost, as it is the only way to proc Burning Light as a ranged magplar. Actually, I like the change from random 25% proc chance going to every 4th tick. Statisticaly, it's the same as before but it is much more reliable now.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on August 4, 2020 12:15PM
  • Koubo
    Koubo
    ✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »

I dont see many proc set for Stam DD tho, i mean, usable. But i'm not an expert at all and my knowledge is limited as a 3 months old player.
    Still, our capacity to survive, self heal and sustain is dead in PvP.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I dont see many proc set for Stam DD tho, i mean, usable. But i'm not an expert at all and my knowledge is limited as a 3 months old player.
    Still, our capacity to survive, self heal and sustain is dead in PvP.

Sheer venom, unleashed terror, red mountain, vma 2h, etc. There will be plenty of choices.
    For healing, you either go with high hp recovery or slap on malubeth.
    Sustain on stamplar shouldn't be an issue we get a bit of cost reduction, and ofc rune focus is great.
    It's no stamsorc but its manageable.
    No doubt Templar is going to be weaker in pvp.
    Unfortunately they nerfed us where we shouldn't have been.
    I still don't understand how they can nerf Backlash, but not nerf toppling charge, one of the most broken xv1 skills in the game.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will just throw my ideas here too for visibility.
    Cinbri wrote: »
    Burning Light:
    Redesign is nice in PvE but as many people already said its terrible in PvP coz it ignore how pvp for templars works. There is 3 main problems: 1. It hard, sometimes even impossible to fully land all 4 ticks of jab. 2. Only way to proc new BL in PvP is using Jabs 3. Its look not that big but still annoying problem - because it apply hidden debuff on enemy - if you fight group of enemies, even two, switching focus fire from one target to another preent you from procing BL on cooldown, as 2nd target wont have 3 stacks of BL because you was hitting and thus applying stacks to 1st target. And if before getting 4th stack you switched target - it might waste.
    Judging from how it works in PvE - reduction of proc against group of enemies because it will guaranteee proc on one target, while currently when hitting group of enemies it easily to proc several BL within 1sec even with 25% chance. However single target proc is nearly the same, sometimes better coz Shard+Jabs take like 0.8-0.9millisec to proc guaranteee, that is in long fight can show noticable improved results.
    So, here is couple ideas how to address Burning Light inconsistece in PvP without affecting PvE too much:
    1.Instead of making BL as 4 stacks-debuff on currently hitted enemy, switch it into self-buff that store stacks of successfull hits with aedric skills and then add BL proc to next hit of aedric skill.
    Something familair to stack-bufff of Molag Kena set:
    bl-idea.png
    10sec self-buff that store up to 4 stacks. Storing it everytime you dealt damage with aedric skill, after getting 4 stacks its reset and add its damage to next aedric skill damage tick. This way in PvE with Shards/Shards+Jabs it remain same as it store damage same way but in PvP it will be large improvement because it no longer will ahve hiddden stacks on enemy, so you can peacefully swith targets. It will be 10sec global cooldown before stack dissapear so it grant 10sec window before activating aedric skills that can be used for defense/rebuff. It will negate problem that Jabs hard to land because this way it would store stacks of every hit; for example target that mobile that you landed 2 jabs but missed another 2 and spent more then 1sec to jab your target again - stacks wont waste as it will be your own buff that already stored 2 stacks, so next 2 hits of jabs will proc it anyway, even despite 3rd and 4th ticks might be missed again.
    It will terribly but still possible to proc with other skills, for example with Javelin, taht you can use every 7sec in 1v1, but due to 10sec gcd it will store stack, so after 28sec it will proc BL.
    Edited by Cinbri on August 5, 2020 5:10AM
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Burning Light:
    Redesign is nice in PvE but as many people already said its terrible in PvP coz it ignore how pvp for templars works. There is 3 main problems: 1. It hard, sometimes even impossible to fully land all 4 ticks of jab. 2. Only way to proc new BL in PvP is using Jabs 3. Its look not that big but still annoying problem - because it apply hidden debuff on enemy - if you fight group of enemies, even two, switching focus fire from one target to another preent you from procing BL on cooldown, as 2nd target wont have 3 stacks of BL because you was hitting and thus applying stacks to 1st target. And if before getting 4th stack you switched target - it might waste.
    Judging from how it works in PvE - reduction of proc against group of enemies because it will guaranteee proc on one target, while currently when hitting group of enemies it easily to proc several BL within 1sec even with 25% chance. However single target proc is nearly the same, sometimes better coz Shard+Jabs take like 0.8-0.9millisec to proc guaranteee, that is in long fight can show noticable improved results.
    So, here is couple ideas how to address Burning Light inconsistece in PvP without affecting PvE too much:
    1.Instead of making BL as 4 stacks-debuff on currently hitted enemy, switch it into self-buff that store stacks of successfull hits with aedric skills and then add BL proc to next hit of aedric skill.
    bl-idea.png
    10sec self-buff that store up to 4 stacks. Storing it everytime you dealt damage with aedric skill, after getting 4 stacks its reset and add its damage to next aedric skill damage tick. This way in PvE with Shards/Shards+Jabs it remain same as it store damage same way but in PvP it will be large improvement because it no longer will ahve hiddden stacks on enemy, so you can peacefully swith targets. It will be 10sec global cooldown before stack dissapear so it grant 10sec window before activating aedric skills that can be used for defense/rebuff. It will negate problem that Jabs hard to land because this way it would store stacks of every hit; for example target that mobile that you landed 2 jabs but missed another 2 and spent more then 1sec to jab your target again - stacks wont waste as it will be your own buff that already stored 2 stacks, so next 2 hits of jabs will proc it anyway, even despite 3rd and 4th ticks might be missed again.
    It will terribly but still possible to proc with other skills, for example with Javelin, taht you can use every 7sec in 1v1, but due to 10sec gcd it will store stack, so after 28sec it will proc BL.

My idea was to make BL a short (3 second) dot that can't be refreshed, and is applied by all aedric spear skills, that way it works the same for all spear skills and not just jabs.
    Or at the very least, if you are going with the current implementation, remove the internal CD on burning light, so we can apply it to multiple targets at the same time.
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler @ZOS_Gilliam
  • Koubo
    Koubo
    ✭✭✭
    Burning Light:
    bl-idea.png

My idea was to make BL a short (3 second) dot that can't be refreshed, and is applied by all aedric spear skills, that way it works the same for all spear skills and not just jabs.
    Or at the very least, if you are going with the current implementation, remove the internal CD on burning light, so we can apply it to multiple targets at the same time.

This is better than the what we will have (apparently -_-) but a DOT is a nerf for Stamplar because they dont have much point onti Thaumaturge. They dont need more nerf in next patch, they allready take too much at this point. Sadly.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Burning Light:
    bl-idea.png

This is better than the what we will have (apparently -_-) but a DOT is a nerf for Stamplar because they dont have much point onti Thaumaturge. They dont need more nerf in next patch, they allready take too much at this point. Sadly.

Here's another idea, make skills that don't hit frequently like javelin, charge, radial sweep give 2 stacks of burning light instead of one.
    Wouldn't have much of an impact on pve dps, but would help in pvp.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Tested it with Blazing Spear and feel no change at all. Most magplars use it anyways, despite its high cost, as it is the only way to proc Burning Light as a ranged magplar. Actually, I like the change from random 25% proc chance going to every 4th tick. Statisticaly, it's the same as before but it is much more reliable now.

Well it's nice to that dummy test parses wont be affected while even the Puggiest of Cyrodiil pugs avoid that 4th hit that's now needed.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well it's nice to that dummy test parses wont be affected while even the Puggiest of Cyrodiil pugs avoid that 4th hit that's now needed.

Exactly why PvE and PvP absolutely should be balanced completely separately.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Exactly why PvE and PvP absolutely should be balanced completely separately.

They could've made it work for both without screwing one over easily.
    Unfortunately, despite extensive feedback, they just stick to their guns no matter what.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The more I look at it, the more this seems to be exactly the point of the change.
  • SshadowSscale
    SshadowSscale
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Join the magblade club of hoping that zos wil acknowledge you exist
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »

The more I look at it, the more this seems to be exactly the point of the change.

Well it depends, you can still do toppling into cresent into sweeps, and then you only need to land the first 2 hits of jabs to proc it, but it's still a lot less damage than it is on live.
    I honestly didn't feel like Templar damage needed a nerf in pvp, I understand them wanting to remove the rng aspect of it, but burning light was already very single target focused, and in the meanwhile shalks and Blastbones remain untouched.
    It would've been a lot easier to swallow the nerf if they also didnt nerf Backlash, made jabs channel longer and added a cast time to radial sweep.
    I honestly was pretty shocked when I saw the notes, I didn't think Templar needed a nerf, if anything they should've nerfed toppling charge instead.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Well it depends, you can still do toppling into cresent into sweeps, and then you only need to land the first 2 hits of jabs to proc it,

In 3 Gcd, instead of 1.
    but it's still a lot less damage than it is on live.

From what has been said above (I fully admit I didn't test this) dummy parse is the same or higher, so damage is unaffected.

It seems to me zos didn't think there was enough counterplay to jabs and the proc.
  • Decimus
    Decimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a very shortsighted change that lowers the amount of build diversity rather than increasing it - absolutely kills the passive for a ranged magplar (spoiler alert: no one uses Blazing Spear or other ground AoEs in PvP unless they're playing healer).

Being practically unable to proc the passive with javelin is awful and atleast makes sure that playing a Dark Flare build won't be a thing in PvP (yes, that part of the game no one likes to think about when making balance changes) next patch.
    Edited by Decimus on August 6, 2020 2:08AM
    PC/EU @ DECMVS
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Decimus wrote: »
    Just a very shortsighted change that lowers the amount of build diversity rather than increasing it - absolutely kills the passive for a ranged magplar (spoiler alert: no one uses Blazing Spear or other ground AoEs in PvP unless they're playing healer).

Being practically unable to proc the passive with javelin is awful and atleast makes sure that playing a Dark Flare build won't be a thing in PvP (yes, that part of the game no one likes to think about when making balance changes) next patch.

You may have just unintentionaly proposed a solution to PvP vs PvE separate balancing.

We can balance PvE around CPs and ground AoEs, which are almost non-existent in PvP anyways, leaving the rest for PvP. Shall any PvP nerfs occur (e.g. direct damage spammables are too powerful), they can always up CPs or damage of ground AoEs to sort things out in PvE. If any PvP buffs need to happen, they can always lower CPs or damage of ground AoEs.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on August 6, 2020 5:07AM
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Decimus wrote: »

Yes, i dont understand how they go to this version of BL, that promotes mindless jabbing.
  • Gorreck
    Gorreck
    ✭✭✭

Join the magblade club of hoping that zos wil acknowledge you exist

Honestly melee-magblades and stamplars could end up looking at magblades with envy soon, which is scary frankly.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're probably right. This change made zero sense until the AOE test post came up. There's a good chance jabs is getting reworked and thus this passive wont be relevant for that skill.

ZOS has histroically made changed in preparation for further changes down the line. It is not like templar will be playable for thr month of testing anyway.
    Edited by Joy_Division on August 6, 2020 1:38PM
  • ItsJustHashtag
    ItsJustHashtag
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the change is working as the devs intended. Good job all around making this skill just as viable in pve as prior while nerfing in pvp
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You're probably right. This change made zero sense until the AOE test post came up. There's a good chance jabs is getting reworked and thus this passive wont be relevant for that skill.

ZOS has histroically made changed in preparation for further changes down the line. It is not like templar will be playable for thr month of testing anyway.

I mean cyrodiil isnt the only form of pvp, excuse me :D
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This likely has more to do with simplifying damage calculations...which falls in line with many of their recent changes to combat on behalf of performance.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Except Blazing Spear is apparently not ticking enough. I've done parses on PTS. Using a ranged set up with Elemental Weapon as my spammable, Burning Light hits approximately 50 times on the trial dummy. By switching to jabs spammable (literally nothing else changes), Burning Light hits 100 times. "4 times within rapid succession" is... what because whatever it is, it forces magplars into melee to make the most of that passive.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar is already pretty bad on live and it's only going to get worse. There's a certain level of passive mitigation that can be obtained either through class choice/build decisions that can make Templar's damage output (one of its only selling points) much lower. The recent 20% nerf to healing was actually very damaging to the class's viability in PvP.
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP