Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Add-On Authors, Please Stop Forcing Custom Titles

ThisOnePosts
ThisOnePosts
✭✭✭✭✭
I go through and delete everything to do with custom titles.

This isn't an "Easter Egg". Include a library, but if we want to see them we should have to use the add-on for it.

I have tested on a few computers not using the CustomTitles MOD and it still shows up unless I go through and manually delete each one.

Going to start adding them to a banned list via Security software to save me some time -- but not everyone may know how to do that.

Many of us appreciate the hard work, donate, refer, give feed back etc.. but this has no place in add-ons that aren't specifically calling for custom titles to be used.

Hopefully this is taken into consideration, either way -- anyone annoyed by them search for LibCustomTitles and remove it from everything. If it changes, then adapt and change w/e new name(s) are given (or avoid those add-ons if someone is truly nuanced by it).

I just wanted to post, hopefully some listen to reason (by all means, let those who want to see/use them see & use them; but not forced).
Edited by ThisOnePosts on July 26, 2020 2:22AM
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have not idea what you are talking about, but it sounds annoying. I guess I haven't been paying attention to my addons.
  • ThisOnePosts
    ThisOnePosts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    I have not idea what you are talking about, but it sounds annoying. I guess I haven't been paying attention to my addons.

Search your folders for "LibCustomTitles" to find the .lua files & .txt references.

There was an add-on to disable them, but it hasn't been updated by the author in a while (and no longer functions properly, so it has to be done manually).
    Edited by ThisOnePosts on July 26, 2020 2:25AM
  • Koubo
    Koubo
    ✭✭✭
    @ThisOnePosts : i'm curious about how it influence our addons?
    I'm trying to get the best features/performances ratio with my addons and cant find the perfect balance. Bandits is a good all around but i feel it's not accurate (bar timers and debuff trackers (the widget) And i have another setup with LUI extended+Srendar, feel more accurate but also more laggy. Both come with handy feature (dosent have to accept TP stuff like that, additionnal command)
    None is perfect.

It's like, sometimes, the game is laggy even if the computer and the conexion is really good.
  • ThisOnePosts
    ThisOnePosts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koubo wrote: »
    @ThisOnePosts : i'm curious about how it influence our addons?
    I'm trying to get the best features/performances ratio with my addons and cant find the perfect balance. Bandits is a good all around but i feel it's not accurate (bar timers and debuff trackers (the widget) And i have another setup with LUI extended+Srendar, feel more accurate but also more laggy. Both come with handy feature (dosent have to accept TP stuff like that, additionnal command)
    None is perfect.

It's like, sometimes, the game is laggy even if the computer and the conexion is really good.

I don't believe that this particular feature is causing much issues, but rather forcing people to see custom titles (and I've seen a few that would probably get ppl banned, not sure if they modified the files themselves or not) but this should not be something forced & snuck into other add-ons (several MAJOR add-ons use it).

I don't use Bandits but I have. AUI is good as well but I don't use all modules as there are some stand alone which I prefer. I've used LUI also, but again I just preferred the look AUI has (for me personally at least). Each are good though and they all provide at least something that the others do not so what may be better for me you may prefer in Bandits or LUI.

Give AUI a whirl though! I also disable things that autoscan every so often (like trade sales, etc..).
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was an add-on to disable them, but it hasn't been updated by the author in a while (and no longer functions properly, so it has to be done manually).

Hmm? I use Disable Custom Titles and it's still working as expected.

(Also, I agree that LibCustomTitles should not even exist and I find it highly disturbing that some addon authors don't recognize it as the affront that it is.)
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can someone explain what the issue is with Custom Titles addon? I noticed that a couple of the addons I use reference or it included it.

What does it do?

What's the issue with it doing what it does?
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that is one of a couple cases of malware that I scan for and fix whenever I install or update an add-on. ZOS does not care, or does not want to get involved. They are standing firm on their ToS warning about third-party add-ons. It is a shame, though, since now we have to do this to use otherwise useful add-ons.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    taugrim wrote: »
    Can someone explain what the issue is with Custom Titles addon? I noticed that a couple of the addons I use reference or it included it.

What does it do?

I checked through minion. Doesn't look like I have it installed. Adds titles that can be seen in game by others with addon it seems.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

What does it do?

I checked through minion. Doesn't look like I have it installed. Adds titles that can be seen in game by others with addon it seems.

And the issue is that these titles aren't moderated, to my knowledge. Imagine the most vile thing you could give yourself as a title...

Then expect it to be worse. This is the internet after all.
  • votan73
    votan73
    ✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »

What does it do?

And the issue is that these titles aren't moderated, to my knowledge. Imagine the most vile thing you could give yourself as a title...

Then expect it to be worse. This is the internet after all.

Of course are the titles moderated: By the addon author. And the rules are clearly defined in the addon description.
  • votan73
    votan73
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, and btw. If you edit this file to give yourself a title, noone will see it. It is not magically uploaded to somewhere.
    But we all had that already.

As @code65536 said: Use Disable Custom Titles.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    votan73 wrote: »
    Ah, and btw. If you edit this file to give yourself a title, noone will see it. It is not magically uploaded to somewhere.
    But we all had that already.

As code65536 said: Use Disable Custom Titles.

We should not have to.
  • votan73
    votan73
    ✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

We should not have to.
    I agree.

But changing a display-text is the last thing to worry about.
    And the end of the day we are talking about "trust" and "reputation".

ESO addons are open source, because everybody can review the Lua code. Any real harmful code would be detected and reported to ZOS.
    For example, back in the days it was possible to send all your gold to someone's account. And this was used and reported. Now you have a confirmation dialog.
    Any addon dev would loose reputation doing bad things.

Not trusting in LibCustomTitle, means not trusting in us devs. That hurts... but ok.

Take Miat's PvP addon. This person could have kept this code a personal secret. Now API information is blocked by ZOS. And the addon is not that powerful as it was.

You should not trust addons, but at least in us.
    Edited by votan73 on July 31, 2020 7:39PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    votan73 wrote: »
    Elsonso wrote: »

We should not have to.
    I agree.

But changing a display-text is the last thing to worry about.
    And the end of the day we are talking about "trust" and "reputation".

ESO addons are open source, because everybody can review the Lua code. Any real harmful code would be detected and reported to ZOS.
    For example, back in the days it was possible to send all your gold to someone's account. And this was used and reported. Now you have a confirmation dialog.
    Any addon dev would loose reputation doing bad things.

Not trusting in LibCustomTitle, means not trusting in us devs. That hurts... but ok.

Take Miat's PvP addon. This person could have kept this code a personal secret. Now API information is blocked by ZOS. And the addon is not that powerful as it was.

You should not trust addons, but at least in us.

I trust some of them. There are 2 or 3 that I do not.
  • ThisOnePosts
    ThisOnePosts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not about trust, it's about forcing something that has nothing to do with the add-on we are installing.

Also, no Disable Custom Titles hasn't worked for months now (not entirely anyway) --- Edit: And to expand on that, shouldn't have to use yet another add-on that may/may not get updated in order to disable something. It should be able to be disabled from settings if authors are going to include it.

Go look at the comment section on ESOUI and you will see others say it as well.

Manually removing/blocking seems to have cured it though (but we shouldn't have to do that). You can let your anti-virus block it as well.

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1765-DisableCustomTitles.html#comments
    Edited by ThisOnePosts on August 5, 2020 8:30AM
  • WastedJoker
    WastedJoker
    ✭✭✭
    Whats the process for manual removal?

Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll!
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats the process for manual removal?

search for anything called "*customtitles*" in your addon folder and delete. There are at least two dozens addons with customtitles embedded.
    Problem is, these files come back with each update of any of these addons. So what looks like a minor task to do once becomes a tedious thing to do once a week or so...

I understand that custom titles was some sort of sneaky but harmless insider thing to play with for a chosen few, but it's gotten out of hands. Addon authors should get rid of it.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on August 16, 2020 2:29PM
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭
    but it's gotten out of hands

Why? Proofs?
    The only thing I ever saw were roleplaying titles or funny titles, nothing sexual or abusive. The addition of titles is moderated btw!
    You seem to just complain because you do not like the total idea of the custom titles.
    And Votan already told you that altering the files locally for anyone will not change anything for others on the server.

beside that: Why didn't you complain about ALL libraries in the past that were bundled with the addons? There were several libs which got nothing to do with the addons, and they ALL were ALWAYS loaded automatically. Due to copy&paste errors or whatever. Noone realized, else the witch hunt would have started earlier.

It finally started than as the libs were removed and you had to manually download and install them. And after that, ALL OF SUDDEN, you care about it :)

It's all about the manual work you need to invest, or what is the real reason here? Just the loss of trust because something was included into an addon which you need to exclude again now? What's the problem? Just download the other addon, enable it always, finished.
    I bet you use several other addons where you need to disable settings you do not like or need. Pretty much the same.
    I agree that not having had an addon to disable the custom titles in the past was something else. But we got it now, so just please use it.
    And don't remove the joke and fun several others got with this addon just because you either feel disturbed -> Ignore it, please. Simple as is.

You create problems where there shoudn't be any. Show some tolerance. Accept that this is a "game".
    Either do not install and do not use addons, or use them and use the disable addons as well.
    It's no virus, just a text shown, for roleplaying purposes and fun!

Thank you
    Edited by Baertram on December 21, 2020 3:02AM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who cares? I don’t even see anyone’s title unless I target them whereas I see everyone’s name. If something is truly offensive, report it. Otherwise, again, who cares? One has to have a degree of tolerance playing an MMO and of all the things I can thing of that a person could do to annoy you or detract from your game experience, giving themselves a silly title is the least obtrusive I can think of.
  • ClevaTreva
    ClevaTreva
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not even sure Dolgubon's add-on even works, still with the latest updates. Can anyone confirm?