The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Trading off max magicka vs. spell power

FrancisCrawford
FrancisCrawford
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
The usual rule of thumb is that 1 spell power equates to about 10.5 max magicka, or 10 if you want to make the calculation faster at the cost of lowering accuracy. That's the tradeoff between the two stats to get the same damage (or healing) from a single skill use (or basic attack).

However, there's another benefit to max magicka, which is having more available magicka per fight. E.g., and oversimplifying the numbers:
  • 1000 max magicka boosts damage as much as 100 spell power does.
  • In a fight that lasts 100 seconds, it also gives you 10 more magicka per second.
  • That value is like 20 magicka regen, which is comparably "costly" in your item slots as 20 spell power.
  • So really, the value of 1000 max magicka is closer to that of 120 spell power ...
  • ... and given their standard set bonus amounts, it seems ZoS agrees with that kind of view.

Obvious oversimplifications in that start:
  • Max magicka, magicka regen and spell power all commonly get percentage bonuses.
  • The 100 second fight duration was an utterly arbitrary number.

So -- has anybody (outside ZoS) done an analysis along those lines and come up with rules of thumb other than the standard 10X or 10.5X figures?
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other reason why mag characters go max magika for damage rather than max spell power is because more skills and passives scale up our max magika rather than spell damage. Inner light/Mage Light? It gives us spell critical AND 8% total to our max magika. Equipping Degeneration not only gives us a source of major sorcery, but also adds in an extra 3% max magika. Sorcs have daedric armor that gives you another passive 5% max magika increase.

These kinds of passives make it more beneficial to build for a larger magika pool because it scales up better than spell damage. The inverse is true with Stamina.

• WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO the sustain advantage of Max Magicka over Spell Damage is negligible. Either the fight is so short you don’t need it, or the fight is so long you don’t notice it. Best case you’ll get 1-2 more casts before running out of Magicka, and it’s pretty unlikely those 1-2 casts will line up exactly when the boss is about to die (so you’ll run out anyway).

As for relative power you can usually assume Max Mag gets the CP bonus (20%), Undaunted passives (6%) and Inner Light (7%). Some builds will also slot Degen or Meteor (2%) and Nightblades have a Siphoning passive equal to Sorc’s Bound Aegis (8%). In a trials group you can also add the Agressive Warhorn bonus (10%). Overall this means most builds have a MM multiplier of about 1.43 to 1.45, with Magblades at about 1.51. At 1.43 a standard 1096 MM bonus is equal to 149 Spell Damage. At 1.51 this goes up to 157 Spell Damage.

Now on the Spell Damage side, if you have Major and Minor Prophecy, most classes get a 1.3 multiplier. Sorcerer can get around 1.38 by slotting 4 class skills. At 1.3 a standard 129 SD bonus becomes 167. Or at 1.38 it gives 178 SD.

So in PVE Spell Damage is almost always better than Max Mag, by about 12%. In PVP it can be reversed because shield size is driven by Max Mag and fight pacing is different.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on July 28, 2020 3:29PM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the detail!!! It's exactly what I hoped for.
    IMO the sustain advantage of Max Magicka over Spell Damage is negligible. Either the fight is so short you don’t need it, or the fight is so long you don’t notice it. Best case you’ll get 1-2 more casts before running out of Magicka, and it’s pretty unlikely those 1-2 casts will line up exactly when the boss is about to die (so you’ll run out anyway).

As for relative power you can usually assume Max Mag gets the CP bonus (20%), Undaunted passives (6%) and Inner Light (7%). Some builds will also slot Degen or Meteor (2%) and Nightblades have a Siphoning passive equal to Sorc’s Bound Aegis (8%). In a trials group you can also add the Agressive Warhorn bonus (10%). Overall this means most builds have a MM multiplier of about 1.43 to 1.45, with Magblades at about 1.51. At 1.43 a standard 1096 MM bonus is equal to 149 Spell Damage. At 1.51 this goes up to 157 Spell Damage.

Now on the Spell Damage side, if you have Major and Minor Prophecy, most classes get a 1.3 multiplier. Sorcerer can get around 1.38 by slotting 4 class skills. At 1.3 a standard 129 SD bonus becomes 167. Or at 1.38 it gives 178 SD.

So in PVE Spell Damage is almost always better than Max Mag, by about 12%. In PVP it can be reversed because shield size is driven by Max Mag and fight pacing is different.

• Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    From PTS patch notes 6.1.0 https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/537057/pts-patch-notes-v6-1-0
    with regards specifically to Sorcerer > Daedric Summoning
    Daedric Summoning
    All pets from this skill line now use a hybrid of your Spell Damage and Max Magicka, rather than purely Max Magicka. This change was done to reduce the total power of these abilities when stacking a singular stat.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    From PTS patch notes 6.1.0 https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/537057/pts-patch-notes-v6-1-0
    Daedric Summoning
    All pets from this skill line now use a hybrid of your Spell Damage and Max Magicka, rather than purely Max Magicka. This change was done to reduce the total power of these abilities when stacking a singular stat.

And so, with the strongest single reason for running Necropotence going away, I started this thread. :)
  • Wolf81
    Wolf81
    ✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    Daedric Summoning

And so, with the strongest single reason for running Necropotence going away, I started this thread. :)

Ya I talked about this in other thread bit ago...with the change I might just swap out my necropotence for my destruction mastery though its still a magicka set it has less so and smidge more spellpower. These are subjective though I'm only speaking of basic dungeon sets and overland stuff prior to trying to get pfg or sioria setup.
    This issue I see on my pet sorc is we lose magicka thus a bit of sustain and shield strength as result now having to gear more like a basic spellslinger style sorc.
    Edited by Wolf81 on July 29, 2020 8:07AM
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but on items you have more spell dmg than magicka.. 129 spell dmg or 1096 magicka.. You can also increase spell dmg by 20% with major sorcery.
    And reason why some players are going to max magicka is shield. Because shield scales only of max magicka ( exept healing ward i think)