Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Spell Parasite vs Mother's Sorrow

ACamaroGuy
ACamaroGuy
✭✭✭
I am a High Elf magicka Templar PvE player. I have all 64 points into magicka. I run Zaan's monster set in heavy pieces and False God's Devotion. All armor is gold and in divines trait with magicka glyphs. If I use Mother's Sorrow flame/lightning (back bar) weapons and jewelry all in gold. Flame is precise, lightning is infused and all jewelry is arcane with spell damage glyphs. These are non-buffed numbers.
My max magicka = 32,273 - critical % = 73.7% - spell damage = 2244.
If I remove Mother's Sorrow for the new craftable Spell Parasite (all traits and glyphs are the same as MS), flame/lightning staff is gold and jewelry is all blue.
My max Magicka = 31,998 (-275) - critical % = 61.0% (-12.7%) - spell damage = 2368 (+124).
I am aware that the gap between max magicka and critical % will close some once I get the jewelry to gold and the spell damage will become better. Isn't Spell Parasite a bit better then Mother's Sorrow?
Edited by ACamaroGuy on June 25, 2020 3:14AM
For the Empire
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    First off, I have not run Spell Parasite. But it looks like more of a healer-type set with the regen 5th piece. Magicka regeneration from armor does not help your DPS but it is useful in healing.

You will do more damage with Mother's Sorrow than Spell Parasite. This is because while you are getting less spell damage, you are getting a lot more crit damage. I think you would be better off running Mother's Sorrow with a magicka regen glyph on a piece instead of running Parasite, if sustain was your issue.
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭
    I think you would be better off running Mother's Sorrow with a magicka regen glyph on a piece instead of running Parasite, if sustain was your issue.

I was trying to keep myself in the fight a bit longer with this set...keep off the light/heavy attacks a bit. So I should swap my spell damage jewelry glyphs for magicka regen glyphs? Will the loss of spell damage hurt my dps?
    For the Empire
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Back of the envelope, it looks to me like Spell Parasite is kind of OK if you get 3 hits per second.

But will you really average much over 3 hits, given that 4 is the theoretical max? You probably will if you're channeling Puncturing Sweeps almost non-stop. But what would be another scenario?
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭
    My thinking was the numbers are close and you get a bit of Magicka return . I didn't know there was a loss to damage by the loss of crit %.
    For the Empire
  • yRaven
    yRaven
    ✭✭✭✭
    Difference on stats is not a big deal, the true test comes always on the parse on 21m dummy

So go see the DPS difference
    Jack of all trades. Master of at least one.
    -
    Àrës - Magicka Dragonknight (EP)
    Persephónē - Magicka Warden (EP)
    Athēna - Magicka Templar (EP)
    Hādēs - Magicka Necromancer (EP)
    Hërmës - Runner Troll (EP)
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Run the Shadow mundus, if you aren't already. Also, go pick up a maelstrom inferno, since it drops on normal now too. That'll boost your light attack damage with your blockade. Swapping to a medium shoulder or head would give you more stats as well with the undaunted passives
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ACamaroGuy wrote: »
    I think you would be better off running Mother's Sorrow with a magicka regen glyph on a piece instead of running Parasite, if sustain was your issue.

I was trying to keep myself in the fight a bit longer with this set...keep off the light/heavy attacks a bit. So I should swap my spell damage jewelry glyphs for magicka regen glyphs? Will the loss of spell damage hurt my dps?

It really depends on how much more sustain you want. One glyph shouldn't be that big an issue.

I really want to know what kind of food/drink you are running. Witchmother's Potent Brew might be the solution for sustain issues. Either way, I agree with some who have said try both out on a dummy and in actual combat and see which work better for you