Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Argonian Aristocrats?

Magenpie
Magenpie
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello lovely RP ppls o/

This might be an odd/stupid question but are there any Argonian aristos in the game? I don't mean high ranking Argonians within Argonian culture, but Argonians found in positions of wealth and power outside of it? I've noticesd some seemingly wealthy Khajiit around the place, but can't remember seeing any Argonian npcs in the same vein.

Also, if you have an example in your own characters, I'd love to see pics. I'm after inspiration!

Thanks! :)
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Yes, the house Argo, as opposed to the field Argo." - lady Ervesa Neloren
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Walks Softly is an outlaw but has the tastes of a noble.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kassandra in Murkmire counts?
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • Magenpie
    Magenpie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dazee - I did think of him (and I've literally just done his first quest) but I see him as more of a Dandy, rather than a noble, if you see what I mean? I do like him lots tho. :)

@gepe87 - oh my word, you are SO right, she definitely fits into that role. I forgot about her, and I've only just recently done her questline!

Thanks so much to you both. :)
  • NorroenDyrd
    NorroenDyrd
    ✭✭
    Sun-In-Shadow (from the Morrowind chapter) is also a fascinating character: born a slave but using her cunning to rise through the ranks of House Telvanni (in fact, there is some similarity between her and Cassandra, although the latter rose to power in Cyrodiil). I definitely think there is potential in such a storyline: an Argonian finding loopholes within the system rigged against them, and ascending to nobility.
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All those nobles you've mentioned are not nobles within their traditional Argonian tribal societies, though, yes, they are some sorts of outside of Argonia. The Argonians have still been at their pre-feudal primitive communism level of socio-economic development. It is one of the most primitive societies in terms of socio-economic formations. Nobles usually step on the stage later, when economical basis changes and thus it urges the social structure to change too either to the next stage of a chattel slavery state or an early feudal one. So their maximum at this point is a first among equals instead of a noble.
  • NorroenDyrd
    NorroenDyrd
    ✭✭
    That's precisely what OP was going for, though: "not high ranking Argonians within Argonian culture, but Argonians found in positions of wealth and power outside of it".
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gepe87 wrote: »
    Kassandra in Murkmire counts?
    ... And we all know how it ended up for her....

Position of power: Captain One-Eye (Shadowfen zone story quest).
    Aristocratic: Walks-Softly (Thieves Guild DLC).

-Sun-in-Shadow (Morrowind DLC) also can be considered, as she was a former slave, that through her work and cunning was promoted to much higher hierarchy - but her story is a tragic story imho, as power corrupted her.
    -Kassandra (Murkmire DLC) comes close, but , she was not truly "rich", or influential, she simply chosen the imperial culture / way of live. She also ended up poorly.

Moral of the story: Those who have power end wealth, endup miserably ?
  • Anumaril
    Anumaril
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All those nobles you've mentioned are not nobles within their traditional Argonian tribal societies, though, yes, they are some sorts of outside of Argonia. The Argonians have still been at their pre-feudal primitive communism level of socio-economic development. It is one of the most primitive societies in terms of socio-economic formations. Nobles usually step on the stage later, when economical basis changes and thus it urges the social structure to change too either to the next stage of a chattel slavery state or an early feudal one. So their maximum at this point is a first among equals instead of a noble.

I was about to say this until I saw your post.

Argonian society is a tribal one, has been like that for thousands of years, and will likely remain like that for many more. Societies in Tamriel do not appear to evolve like our real-world counterparts; they all seem to be stuck in either feudal or pre-feudal (tribal/clan-based) societies (which is good since I play TES for the medieval fantasy setting and wouldn't want things like guns, cannons, computers, etc, in the game).

Argonian nobles might exist in other regions of Tamriel, i.e. an Argonian was raised to nobility by the king or emperor of some realm, but within Black Marsh that isn't going to exist.

NOTE about Walks-Softly: Through the questline with him we discover that he is an ex-slave, thus a commoner, and not a noble (there was no point in time when he was ennobled). A commoner can dress in all the fineries they like but they are still commoners. Given that Walks-Softly was raised alongside a wealthy noble (who treated him like a friend/equal), it is possible that made a mark on his character, giving him a liking for fine things and resulting in him being more dandy than most, but as said before, that does not make him a noble.
    Edited by Anumaril on June 10, 2020 4:56PM
  • Magenpie
    Magenpie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's precisely what OP was going for, though: "not high ranking Argonians within Argonian culture, but Argonians found in positions of wealth and power outside of it".

Exactly this. I haven't come across Sun-in-Shadow yet and I'll definitely seek her out. Thanks so much for the suggestion. Someone rising up the greasy pole of a society outside the Argonian tribal network is definitely what I had in mind, particularly as we come across plenty of Argonians who seem to accept a less spiritual, less...swampy and more economically rewarding life, very probably as ex-slaves or their descendants, very much like Walks-Softly (good ol' Walks-Softly, he's my pal.) And why should Kassandra be the only one to get that far. Also, I assume if you are a Shadowscale (ex probably) you could earn pots and pots of cash bumping people off. Or maybe there's no such thing as an 'ex-Shadowscale', only dead ones, hee hee.

Anyway, my assassin Stares-with-Stone will continue to murderate her way around the countryside. Perhaps she'll retire to somewhere opulent at some point. ^^

And thanks everyone for taking the time to reply!
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Friends-with-Moon

Yes, Argonians can happen to be nobles. Such titles are not common in tribes linked to Hist, though.
  • Magenpie
    Magenpie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MerguezMan wrote: »
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Friends-with-Moon

Yes, Argonians can happen to be nobles. Such titles are not common in tribes linked to Hist, though.

Oh my word, what a find! Thank you so much!
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found something interesting in TESV:Skyrim that relates to this.
    Veezara wrote:
    "Once, I was a Shadowscale. An assassin in service to the King of Black Marsh. Trained by the Dark Brotherhood since the day of my hatching. Ah, but that was a lifetime ago. Today, I am the last of my kind. My order is extinct. Now, I happily serve Astrid, and this Sanctuary. I am a trained killer, and once again have been given purpose. Life is good."

Apparently there is a "King of Black Marsh", whatever that means. He might just be speaking for a very big Hist and King is just a translation on his part so that non-Argonians can easily grasp the concept. Still, very interesting I think.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.