Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Every name imaginable already taken?

thisisdustinsemail_ESO
That was fast -_-

Now everyone will have to start adding numbers to their name...

Amusei69

That's lore-friendly.....
Edited by thisisdustinsemail_ESO on April 17, 2014 3:43AM
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people just don't care what they name characters.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • MysticAura
    MysticAura
    ✭✭✭
    Just include a last name. Then it's rare that your names are taken.
  • lordspyder
    lordspyder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can put spaces and - and ' in your name, if you can't find a lore friendly name that isn't available, you aren't trying
  • soulclaw
    soulclaw
    ✭✭✭
    This game is the easiest for creating a name, you can multiple words with spaces.
    Sweetie, can you show us on the doll where the bad man from Blizzard touched you?

• Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can have spaces, hyphens and apostrophes. This really opens up the range of names you can have even if you just throw on a last name.

Amusei69 Lorefriendly.

Amusei69 the Lorefriendly.

Lorefriendly Amusei69.

Friend-of-Lore.

etc. etc.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • thisisdustinsemail_ESO
    Just out of curiosity, are there people who lock popular / novelty names to their accounts, then sell those accounts for real money?
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of curiosity, are there people who lock popular / novelty names to their accounts, then sell those accounts for real money?

I'd be surprised if there wasn't somebody out there trying to do just that. Whether they are successful or not is another matter.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe but that is against TOS and a good way to get perma banned.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you can make a Khajiit that thinks he's a nord called J'arl I'Khan Huz-Skeav'r? OK, that's not very lore friendly either but their is still a lot of room left for good (and bad) names.
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will have to agree with the other OP , there are still plenty of names to take , granted , famous (even if just a little) names are probably already taken , but if you wanted those , you had to be ingame second one to try to get them.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I should make a Khajiit werewolf named The rabid wolf ****y. Yes?
    Edited by PBpsy on April 17, 2014 4:21AM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Thunder_Downunder
    Thunder_Downunder
    ✭✭✭
    Every name I've put in in the last 3 days has been available. Maybe a lack of imagination is the problem.
  • Usstan
    Usstan
    ✭✭
    If you can't think up a name then use for example these pages on UESP. Most races have family names too and using those in combination the other names on your chars should give you tons of options.
    1. Altmer
    2. Argonian
    3. Bosmer
    4. Breton
    5. Dunmer
    6. Imperial
    7. Khajiit
    8. Nord
    9. Orc
    10. Redguard
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Adding a last name means it's pretty much impossible not to think of a variation of the name you want.

If you add numbers (if there even allowed) I think you will be told to change it pretty quickly.

I was in EA and for the first time ever in an mmo, got all names from the characters in the book I am writing locked to my account.

Even if it wasn't possible and some were taken, I would have just added their surnames.
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • Eris
    Eris
    ✭✭✭✭
    I recall in the naming section of creation that a character name cannot end with an standard number. You could of course use roman numerals. Marcus III, etc.
    Side effects of reading messages on forums can cause nausea, head aches, spontaneous fits of rage, urination due to intense laughter, and sometimes the death of your monitor or other object in throwing range. If you find that you are reading forums more than 24 hours a day, please consult your nearest temporal physicist.
  • ExotypeGhost
    ExotypeGhost
    ✭✭
    Google is your friend, a friend that doesn't mind being used. There are plenty of Elder Scrolls name generators that can be used in either helping you come up with a name or at least give you some ideas for some names by tweaking the spelling some. For instance, one generator I just used popped up names for a Dunmer male came up with Tidril Marendal, Tadaves Sarayn, and Aravyne Dalas. Feel free to use one of these names if they haven't already been taken or mix them up, something like Tadaves Dalas, Aravyne Marendal, and Tidril Sarayn. You could even tweak the name if you wanted to, such as Aravayne by adding the "a" before the "y" into the name. This is just some examples that will maybe help the OP or some others that read this having problems coming up with names.
    Synnixra VR16 Nightblade EP
    "Strike swiftly, strike silently, for the shadows are my domain."
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    What @ExotypeGhost said, if you want to stay lore friendly.

Or get on http://en.wikipedia.org and look up things and pull names, try this page for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Han#Eastern_Han. Pulled some names and mashed them together.

Lelang Xuantu
    Nanyue Qin

Not your thing? Try this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Palaeolithic.

Vallon Chauvet
    Red Lady of Paviland

My point is, finding a good unique name that is lore friendly or is just plain cool isn't that hard. I'm betting no one has used "Paviland".
    The Sidekick Order
  • thisisdustinsemail_ESO
    dolmen wrote: »
    What @ExotypeGhost said, if you want to stay lore friendly.

Or get on http://en.wikipedia.org and look up things and pull names, try this page for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Han#Eastern_Han. Pulled some names and mashed them together.

Lelang Xuantu
    Nanyue Qin

Not your thing? Try this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Palaeolithic.

Vallon Chauvet
    Red Lady of Paviland

My point is, finding a good unique name that is lore friendly or is just plain cool isn't that hard. I'm betting no one has used "Paviland".

But I'd like a character name that identifies with ME, not just some randomized name =\
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As was said, using last names and/or punctuation is a good idea.

If you're trying to get a name like "Bob" or "Jade" then you're out of luck. Try "Jade Lionbane" for example instead.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    @thisisdustinsemail_ESO work with me here.

Going by your user id:

Dustin - "probably derived from the Old Norse Ðórsteinn (Torsten)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsten

That one page has so many names, nice Nord ones too. For that matter is Torsten taken?

The point is, you can come up with a name that sounds good and has meaning for you. For example:

I studied photography and still do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Caponigro - Published a book, Megaliths
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolmen - "type of single-chamber megalithic tomb, usually consisting of three or more upright stones"

@dolmen‌ - means something to me, sounds cool to me.

Hope this helps.

The Sidekick Order
  • Rasly
    Rasly
    ✭✭
    Probably taken by bots and gold sellers, i hope ESO will release names of banned accounts.
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seen an Argonian named Pees on Katz
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

• Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eh, I have 10 characters split between NA and EU servers, and not a single time did I have a problem with creating a name so not sure what is going on there.

I tend to make up lore-appropriate names pretty much off the top of my head and it's been fine so far, Amusei is actually a NPC name from a previous TES game though so maybe it is blocked? (edit: or just really popular!)
    Edited by Epona222 on April 18, 2014 5:10AM
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Silverbird
    Silverbird
    ✭✭✭
    If I remember right, one of my guildies blocked some names purposely. Legolas on the EU server for example is one of them. He simply didnt want to meet a Legolas ingame, so he choosed that name for a not used alt/mule char.
    Edited by Silverbird on April 18, 2014 5:22AM
  • thisisdustinsemail_ESO
    Silverbird wrote: »
    If I remember right, one of my guildies blocked some names purposely. Legolas on the EU server for example is one of them. He simply didnt want to meet a Legolas ingame, so he choosed that name for a not used alt/mule char.

I feel like almost everyone did this.

Chose 8 names they wanted ownership of, made 8 characters with those names.

Even though they only use one of them -_-
  • Enfinityx
    Enfinityx
    Last names give you some variety. Alt characters are also accepted along with "-" and " ' "
    Lady Novà - Wood Elf Templar - American Megaserver
  • Lanatireb17_ESO
    Lanatireb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Well, i shout a great hoorray to people who block the gandalfs and aragorns and all the 'insert random game of thrones name' by creating dead alts with them. I am sick and tired of 7933 Drizzts in every mmo there is.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While the typical short one-word names I usually try to nab for my characters were already taken even in early access, the fact that you can use multiple word names (i.e. last names) made it really easy to create character names in ESO for me.

Normally I use the name Lynx. That was taken, obviously, so I went with M'asad Lynx as my khajiit nightblade main. Asad means lion in arabic, the M' is a typical khajiiti prefix, and Lynx as the last name works as a sort of 'clan' name (which were used by some khajiit).

I wanted to name my daggerfall aligned khajiti templar 'whitemane' after going through the character creation, because... i made him white, and that name sounded cool. Again it was taken, as whitemane isnt all that original. I ended up naming him "Leonin Whitemane", taking Leonin from the race of cat folk in the myrrodin set of magic: the gathering cards.

Just use a little creativity, naming is a heck of a lot easier here than it was in, say, DC universe online.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    My Wood Elf templar is named Titania Goodfellow. One of my Breton sorcerers if Puck Finn, and my High Elf sorcerer is Shoegorath's Babblefish. I have always thought multi-part names were better for online gaming since they add more character to your characters. They become even more important with huge guilds. I mean, how many variations on "Lego-less" can you see on a guild roster before it get's confusing? If you want to get noticed in a crowd, get a last name.
    Edited by Lazarus_Long on April 20, 2014 7:33AM
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • thisisdustinsemail_ESO
    I just prefer to have names that identify me in a crowd, instead of basically making names up...

For example, my Argonian Templar is named Lights-Sparks, the name of an Argonian in Morrowind.

My Redguard Dragonknight is named Trey Songz...