The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.1 maintenance and is currently unavailable.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/657287/pts-incremental-patch-maintenance-extended-april-22-2024

Justice System is Dumb!

Rovaeden
Rovaeden
✭✭✭
The Justice System is Dumb!

Let me clarify that. The Justice System with Unkillable Guards is Dumb!

Guards need to be vulnerable to the Blade of Woe. They need to be vulnerable to the new vampire feeding.

They need to be tough but killable!
Godlike guards are completely stupid. Why even have players heroes when one city guard could just go out and solo Molag Bal and any other big bad to threaten the world.

They not only break immersion but they make the Justice System just an irritation rather than an interesting and compelling part of gameplay that forces you to balance risk.

I don't expect ZOS to do anything about this because they can barely succeed in not ruining the game as a whole with every patch, like a blind driver in the Indy 500, but I enjoy wasting my time typing about stuff I hope will happen but never will.

• Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kill-able guards that call in reinforcements would be interesting. In my mind they'd have the strength of world bosses in non-DLC zones, and before you take them out they call in more.... and more.... and more.... reinforcements. They'd beat you through attrition and after beating you to a pulp the original guard returns back to their spot, the extras run off and disappear, and life continues on with one less player.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Rovaeden
    Rovaeden
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe not call in infinite reinforcements, but yeah. local guards within shout range could come to help if you didnt manage to murder the original guard soon enough.

If ZOS would expand on the thieves guild and dark brotherhood at all, it could be cool to be able to draw guards away from high value targets.

ahh, dreams.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The justice system is to easy as it is. The guards are the only small issue to deal with and that is if someone messes up to begin with. They are so easy to get away from most of the time anyhow. Of course, if it was more like Skyrim when you get caught I could get behind guards being killable. The flood of NPCs that came after you were pretty serious.

I expect OP would have preferred the original conception of the Justice System. Players could attack you if you had a bounty.
  • Rovaeden
    Rovaeden
    ✭✭✭
    No. Not players.

Skyrim's justice system was pretty good. I would much prefer something along those lines.

It isnt the difficulty of the guards that i find annoying, cuz they arent difficult to bypass through various ways,

it is the immersion breaking nature of them being unkillable that i find to be not only stupid but boring.

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rovaeden wrote: »
    No. Not players.

Skyrim's justice system was pretty good. I would much prefer something along those lines.

It isnt the difficulty of the guards that i find annoying, cuz they arent difficult to bypass through various ways,

it is the immersion breaking nature of them being unkillable that i find to be not only stupid but boring.

I would suggest it is very much immersive to have such strong guards if one wants any sort of meaningful aspect of the justice system. Heck, I do not think guards are strong enough as I laugh at them and successfully run away in the rare occasion I get caught.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Players bounty-hunting criminals would be A-MAZING!

I would sign up to hunt the outlaws that have slain our brave city guards in an instant.
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Not players.

You will be able to kill guards, when the system let me be able to kill you and claim your bounty...

If that's not fair enough for you, then stay with the current system.
  • Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭
    They promote the illusion that authority is god... not reality lmao
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would sign up to hunt the outlaws that have slain our brave city guards in an instant.

well that will never come foor a simple reason.

players that steal and kill alot will either try to get achievements or just be Roleplayers minding their buisness
    Those players will be wearing gear according to their playstyle and not for pvpin other players, thats whats cyro and BGs are for.

so IF ZOS would implement this they would shoot themselves in the foot, cause theyd be pissing of allot of ppl.

altouh I have to admitt that the current Justice System is way to easy....guard catches you, you run away GG

bountyreset while logged out -> remove that, bounty should only be lowered over time, while playing the character or by beeing catched (paying the bounty) or with the consumables.

Guard unkillable -> well while i get the reason behind it, IMO its bad design
    Just make guard super strong NPCs which can die, maybe also implement the reinforcement thing which was suggested.
    But let them respan within 1-2min after they died.

PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Without a Justice System in place players don't have to worry about the consequences of their actions ... which is boring.
  • Tivnael
    Tivnael
    ✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Kill-able guards that call in reinforcements would be interesting. In my mind they'd have the strength of world bosses in non-DLC zones, and before you take them out they call in more.... and more.... and more.... reinforcements. They'd beat you through attrition and after beating you to a pulp the original guard returns back to their spot, the extras run off and disappear, and life continues on with one less player.

just like in The Witcher III
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They already ditched that idea so unlikely to happen. And I deal enough with role players who think them being role pkayers give them the right to harass other players becuase 'ma immersion'.
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can suggets to take eves system if you like. Police is killable but will call for more and stronger reinforcements. So you die just the same.

The justice system requires you to die, if there would be loopholes like killable guards there would not be a response to palyer actions with the result of it becoming pointless.
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xebov wrote: »

You can suggets to take eves system if you like. Police is killable but will call for more and stronger reinforcements. So you die just the same.

The justice system requires you to die, if there would be loopholes like killable guards there would not be a response to palyer actions with the result of it becoming pointless.

The system doesn't require you to die, it require you to not be dumb enough to fight law enforcement.
    And the whole "summons massive/infinite number of guards" would not be a good change because that one is just begging to be used by trolls and general *** to harass and troll other players. Like that one is just terrible.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like someone tried to steal something inside a bank and got caught....

So, really stop stealing in areas that have no escape route, get the Thieves Guild passive that lets you pacify the Guards and this stops being an issue. And look around before you use your Blade of Woe, it is not an easy button to loot an NPC.

And, stop bringing up that tired old Molag Bal Killer argument. You were buffed by the Light of Meridia after finding the Amulet of Kings and Sacrificing one of your 5 Companions so that you do 10 times your normal Damage for the Final Battle. That is not the normal course of events or conditions for the game.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While on the surface kill-able guards sounds like it would be more fun, you have to keep in mind player behavior.

Imagine when someone with a decent solo build starts killing guards to see how bad-ass he/she is. Then imagine a group of people deciding to see how many guards they can kill. Now imagine the entire player base across all cities...

You would go into towns and see the entire population slaughtered and a pile of guard bodies next to a group of players with their guard killing optimized builds that Alcast came up with.

I might be exaggerating a little, but something like this would be taken as a challenge by some players, whereas unkillable guards gets boring pretty quick and everyone leaves them alone.
    Playing since beta...
  • MellowMagic
    MellowMagic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never been a huge fan of unkillable guards, I think when you have a bounty you should just be unable to do anything that requires any sort of npc interaction more so then what is currently live. No banking, merchants, guild traders, quest givers (excluding theives and darkbrotherhood), no turning in shared dailies, no getting undaunted pledges. Only fences will talk to you and you'll have to square up your bounty till you can interact with any NPCs. I think that could be punishing enough to discourage players from slaughtering villages. You could also have reduced xp gained while you have a bounty. Guards should still be hard, but like others have said they should have more of a swarming tactic instead of 1 or 2 unkillable gods.
    PC / NA @MellowMagic
    Imperial named with some sort of variation of "Deo"
    By the Divines...
  • wild_kmacdb16_ESO
    wild_kmacdb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its funny guards are demigods and yet when you have someone like Lyris Titanborn following you, she does so little damage she cant defeat a mudcrab.

I guess we just need to practice suspension of disbelief.
    Edited by wild_kmacdb16_ESO on May 22, 2020 6:34PM
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Swap "guards" with "players" and you have the situation guards face when players are in town. Maybe now you know what it feels like when people meet "unkillable players" in PvP https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/526107/ok-enough-is-enough-unkilable-players-is-getting-worse/p1 and why that's irritating.

If you're lousy at the justice system, you deserve even harsher penalties than having to run away from a guard.

How about if you refuse to pay your bounty, the guard's partner does a Blade of Woe on you from behind? Keep your eyes open and don't let a guard sneak up on you!

And the bigger your bounty, the further Guards can detect and run to accost you.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on May 23, 2020 5:37AM
  • Darkness734
    Darkness734
    Soul Shriven
    Yeah I talked about this concept, it's an annoyance that should be expanded or removed. There's no reward worth being kill by a guard and there's nothing gained by attacking a guard. Basically the guards just force you to ignore doing crime which is easy because you have a much higher risk of losing more gold than gaining any substantial amount. I proposed killable guards, special drops / achievements for killing key npcs like vivec (him being as strong as a raid boss) and the creation of the morag tong guild which would allow you to hunt down player criminals, kill them, and collect the bounty they've created upon themselves (randomly assigned to prevent exploit) as a way of introducing controlled small scale pvp to the world. On the flip side you could go further, say with the dark brotherhood, and place a bounty on a certain player you might not like (with a large cool down to prevent griefing) and dark brotherhood players could take the quest and hunt that player. Don't want to be hunted? Don't commit crimes and don't be a jerk to people, this system would actually help the community in my opinion.
    Also regional bounties instead of a world bounty. When I proposed such, a bunch of wussys were like this isn't wow blah blah blah, npcs would die, blah cry blah. Well yeah that's the point, I don't like a bland world and if a enemy faction wants to raid through stormhaven it'd be entertaining as heck to watch DC fight back or help fight back myself. I want a world driven by player interactions and events not scripted ones so man up wussys this should be a pvp focused game. These changes might drive some scrub newbies to quit boo woo but it'll bring back all the serious players who made cyrodil lit when eso first came out and bringing those people back will make the company more money than some scrub who bow light attacks a dungeon boss crying about pvp
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This does raise a good point about immersion. Remember back in the old days when you could kill plot-essential NPCs?

Admittedly, killing essential NPCs isn't possible in many of today's modern games and much less possible in an MMO (especially with large, casual player-bases), but guards in ESO have never had an "essential" role here. There are other ways to go about making guards relevant without making them complete gods more powerful than a daedric prince. For example, having guards call in increasingly-harder reinforcements after a certain time is one way of giving the player their own agency but with diminishing returns until at such point the player 'hits their limit' so to speak. It's not like you DON'T get a bounty for killing someone or a witness, so why do guards have to persist as they do? Why not simply give you more bounty for being witnessed killing a guard? Isn't that how it would work?

Honestly the whole system has negligible reward and very little risk to it. Being an assassin or a master thief should be all about the thrill of the heist and the phat lewtz you get for using your wit and beating the odds, right?
  • Spell-Slinger
    Spell-Slinger
    ✭✭✭✭
    The justice system is about sneaking. Killable guards would let players murder their way out of everything, which is already what you do in the entire rest of the game. If you don't like sneaking, and prefer killing, don't play the justice system. Play the rest of the game.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no PvP bounty in PvE world....

....yet.

If they somehow managed to clear CP system, PvP meta, CC skills, and regional instancing so we don't have spawn camping or NPC genocide, then maybe... maybe, we can have it.

but for now, hell no.
    Tivnael wrote: »
    Vevvev wrote: »

just like in The Witcher III

yes!
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • LuxiasCaelum13
    LuxiasCaelum13
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    The justice system is to easy as it is. The guards are the only small issue to deal with and that is if someone messes up to begin with. They are so easy to get away from most of the time anyhow. Of course, if it was more like Skyrim when you get caught I could get behind guards being killable. The flood of NPCs that came after you were pretty serious.

I expect OP would have preferred the original conception of the Justice System. Players could attack you if you had a bounty.

Actually that would be an amazing idea. It's not the first time an MMO implements that system, like TERA or BDO, and it would be great if done well.

-Players should be allowed to have a "bandit mode" of sorts, where, when active, you can attack players outside cities or safe spots.
    -Safe spots could be not only cities, but also places where you can accept quests, wayshrines...etc
    -"Bandit" players who kill another player get a bounty, and players who already have a bounty because they got caught stealing or killing NPCS can be targeted.
    -When a player kills a target with a bounty they get the same gold amount, and players with a bounty who manage to escape before the bounty timer wears off will get the same gold amount.

There would be limitations, like the range of levels/CP (like, you can only attack players of your same level or in a range of your level-5/+5, or +/-20 CP up to 160, and above 160 all players could attack or be attacked without restrictions...), that kind of thing.
    Don't make me say the same thing twice. Don't make me say it a third time. I hate having to repeat myself because it's useless. ~Giorno Giovanna
  • xryanvb16_ESO
    xryanvb16_ESO
    ✭✭
    I think the guards are stupid as they are but I think the whole system is kinda lame too. I mean I accidentally use a vampire ability near someone in town and now I loose money or get killed. I don't see what the fun part is... there's no challenge or anything it's just a series of minor annoyances. It needs increasing challenges and increasing rewards varied game play long term goals.. better tutorials for players to understand what's going on and PVP aspect to allow for emergent game play.
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Justice System is Dumb!

Guards need to be vulnerable to the Blade of Woe. They need to be vulnerable to the new vampire feeding.

They need to be tough but killable!
    Godlike guards are completely stupid. Why even have players heroes when one city guard could just go out and solo Molag Bal and any other big bad to threaten the world.

They not only break immersion but they make the Justice System just an irritation rather than an interesting and compelling part of gameplay that forces you to balance risk.

I don't expect ZOS to do anything about this because they can barely succeed in not ruining the game as a whole with every patch, like a blind driver in the Indy 500, but I enjoy wasting my time typing about stuff I hope will happen but never will.

Hey, can we take a minute to speak about how all door become closed when you're in figth ?
    This + unkillable guard was breaking immersion so much on DBH or TG "role play"...

I always come to check forum time to time, glad to see thing never change since I stopped playing :>
    Hope for you they finally do something about it, but, tbh, don't except anything, not even a reply.
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want jails for all you criminals wanting to kill the guards :wink:
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean I accidentally use a vampire ability near someone in town and now I loose money or get killed. I don't see what the fun part is... there's no challenge or anything it's just a series of minor annoyances.

I leveled my Magicka Necromancer to 50 without incurring any bounty.

You can too.
  • Neloth
    Neloth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I mean I accidentally use a vampire ability near someone in town and now I loose money or get killed. I don't see what the fun part is... there's no challenge or anything it's just a series of minor annoyances.

I leveled my Magicka Necromancer to 50 without incurring any bounty.

You can too.

I also grinded my necromancer in skyreach/IC sewers, surprise, without any bounty, since the only non-hostile NPCs I seen were the banker and the merchant.

How this is relevant to his problem?

The point is that you have to pay gold for using your main skills in towns, and it sucks. It should be optional, at very least.

The justice system is the reason I stopped playing my necromancer.
    Edited by Neloth on May 30, 2020 12:50PM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neloth wrote: »

I also grinded my necromancer in skyreach/IC sewers, surprise, without any bounty, since the only non-hostile NPCs I seen were the banker and the merchant.

How this is relevant to his problem?

@Neloth, you’re assuming that I leveled my character exactly the same way you did.

Which is a totally wrong assumption.

I enjoy getting lots of skill points when I level.

Which means doing a lot of overland content, public dungeons, and ... wait for it ... completing quests in town.