The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What's your favourite class to tank with? I added a poll because I am genuinely curious.

CMDR_Un1k0rn
CMDR_Un1k0rn
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Simple poll. Six options, for six classes. Please do let us know why you enjoy this class as a tank and a rough description of how you play it. For example, the weapons archetypes you use, what your main resources are, etc.

This poll is about what you find fun. If that happens to be the meta then of course, that's great and valid. But if you enjoy a different tanking setup more, than please vote that, even if it's not considered optimal.

To begin, I have voted Dragonknight as for one, I do love dragons. I am also very fond of Nords who do have a lot of history with the Ancient Dovah, and indeed, given the recent Akaviri invasion, well, Akaviri martial training becoming popular in Eastern Tamriel? Makes sense to me! Not to mention that Dragonknight also make fine warriors on the frontlines of Cyrodiil as well as fierce opponents in the Battlegrounds of Tamriel.
In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No

What's your favourite class to tank with? I added a poll because I am genuinely curious. 180 votes

Dragonknight
37%
BlueRavenSuddwrathIncarnatusxaraanLordRaphDTStormfoxKiramekuidkKhrogoStreegaHusanFlaminirArtemiisiaSaubonDrunkensotVulsahdaalBalticBluesSneaky-SnurrVaranaXarc 68 votes
Sorcerer
9%
Stxstybbe17b16_ESOHoushikiOtarTheMadSylvisApoxheaven13ElwendryllraegunJaimehvaleriiyauniversal_wrathmenathradielskrvbb10rdzvaviYe_Olde_CroweMajor_Lag 17 votes
Nightblade
18%
Iruil_ESOMaerdiathMiraslovaRavenSwornOmniDoactoshKhatouSarannahSosRuvaakOlen_MikkoxI_The_Owl_IxLeeNordTankFeizaoBrrrofskiFerrumnCutemUfretinemilyhyoyeonPureEnvelope35Dark_Lord_KuroNevasca 34 votes
Templar
10%
ssewallb14_ESOOlivianderlucky_Sagemeekmikoessi2IncursionMauinKamchukZeroXFFEvilAutoTechFoolishOptimistHotdog_23StarlockStrike_MaximusWandering_ImmigrantthissocalledflowerLarcomarSuna_Ye_SunnabeAthyrium93 19 votes
Warden
11%
DarcyMardinjan.denaanb16_ESOSarousseWolfchild07ListerJMCThe_Old_GoatTaylor_MBCerboltEmmagoldmanphileunderx2Thannazzarfrozzzen101TemplarHealzMagicalLijaDjikuMaxJrFTWArgonianwerecroc212bearbellyAznarbGrianasteri 21 votes
Necromancer
11%
amm7sb14_ESOdaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOKesstrylTwilanthegresiacorion_1981usub17_ESOdaemoniosCaffeinatedMayhemkargen27peacenoteGrumpyDucklingJanTanhideKurtAngle2DJfriedeMoonsorrowOpalbladeAptonothMellowMagicpharlexNova_J 21 votes
  • Olen_Mikko
    Olen_Mikko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade
    Since i play only with Nightblades, my NB tank is pretty fun to play with.

Swarm Mother monster set pulls mobs pretty nicely and manifestation of terror holds them in place.

NB enthusiastic:
    1. Woodhippie stamblade - DW hard-hitter / PvE
    2. Know-it-all elf Magblade - Healer / PvE & PvP
    3. Hate-them-all elf Magblade - Destrostaff AoE monster / PvE
    4. Cyrodiil-Refugee stamblade - Stamina Tank / PvE

Go dominion or go home

Nightblade-Hipster. I played Nightblade before it was cool - from 1.5 onwards.
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dragonknight
    Got 2 tanks, 1 DK and 1 Templar but DK is way better in terms of group support and CC.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dragonknight
    Olen_Mikko wrote: »
    Since i play only with Nightblades, my NB tank is pretty fun to play with.

Swarm Mother monster set pulls mobs pretty nicely and manifestation of terror holds them in place.

Dude. That's awesome. I really would like to try Swarm Mother at some point, and Nightblade was actually my first tank as well. I was shocked by how good they are at the role.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dragonknight
    Got 2 tanks, 1 DK and 1 Templar but DK is way better in terms of group support and CC.

Oh yeah. The Talons are just like, amazing.
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Warden
    Still gearing-up and learning, which means I suck, but Warden.
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dragonknight

Oh yeah. The Talons are just like, amazing.

Yeah, best CC ability in my opinion.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dragonknight
    bearbelly wrote: »

Warden is great, and I am intending on making an Argonian Warden at some point for tanking.
  • Houshiki
    Houshiki
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer
    Sorc, sure its not BiS, but I main sorc and I like it.

And I can work it too. Got leash to pull mobs into the stack, got encase to root them, and got aegis for the highest blocking mitigation. Pttf~ and people think sorcs can't tank. :p
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dragonknight
    Houshiki wrote: »

And I can work it too. Got leash to pull mobs into the stack, got encase to root them, and got aegis for the highest blocking mitigation. Pttf~ and people think sorcs can't tank. :p

Oh mate. There's a dude in my main guild who runs one. And it's magicka-based. What weapon are you rocking to do your taunting?
  • Houshiki
    Houshiki
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer

Oh mate. There's a dude in my main guild who runs one. And it's magicka-based. What weapon are you rocking to do your taunting?
    I front bar sword and board, and back bar a frost staff. Using pierce armor is easier for both fracture and breach. I got this thing going where my highest resource is dependent on which bar I'm on, so I can restore whichever is needed when popping orbs or spears.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dragonknight

I front bar sword and board, and back bar a frost staff. Using pierce armor is easier for both fracture and breach. I got this thing going where my highest resource is dependent on which bar I'm on, so I can restore whichever is needed when popping orbs or spears.

That's an interesting strategy. Thanks, I am going to look into this.
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight
    Well I love dragons for one, who would have guessed. Besides DK aesthetic design with spiked armor and everything, I find it appropriate that a "dragon" is your frontline defense of your teams. It also helps that comes with cc (talons) and chains (grip) in its kit, and Magma Armor when things go south being the king of not dying especially on my non tanks.

Either than that, my Warden tank is my close second, it has great buff and debuff potential as well as an ult gen magnet.
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Necromancer
    I have been loving my new necro tank. Extra synergies, lots of ultimate, group rez. I sometimes miss the tools in the DK toolkit but the necro has some nice trade-offs.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer
    Stamsorc, mainly because I played that char for years, he happens to be rigged as a tank and he simply works the way I expect him to. I really wouldn't want to learn a new class/setup, but I have no problems with adapting an old build if need arises.
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • ZOS_Adrikoth
    ZOS_Adrikoth
    admin
    Interesting poll, thanks for sharing everyone. :) It seems like we have a lot of Dragonknights in this thread!
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used to be nb... I miss my sap - tank :|
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nightblade
    After having made 3 different tank classes: DK, nightblade and warden.... I have to say DK's are really strong, but my nightblade seems indestructible and triples the groups dps. Had never any group low dps issues on him. Warden seems to be lacking compared to those classes(still works well though).
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade
    Nb!!!
    Basicly since release with some time where I had to tank on dk.

Remember nb tank times with funnel/path being our only heals and it still worked good.

• heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sorcerer
    I have a tank of each class (except nb because I haven't made it yet) but am most comfortable with my sorc. She's a stamsorc but tanks well and I've completed some vet DLC trifectas and vBRP with her, along with trials.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • ReachHalo
    ReachHalo
    ✭✭✭
    Nightblade
    Played DPS for an eternity...one day switched my kajiit Stam nightblade into a tank, and have never looked back. So unkillable in so many ways. Love it
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dragonknight
    ReachHalo wrote: »
    Played DPS for an eternity...one day switched my kajiit Stam nightblade into a tank, and have never looked back. So unkillable in so many ways. Love it

You may well have the highest crit-chance on a tank ever there LMAO.
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade
    Nightblades, seeing very few still - but at least I've seen a few the past couple of months or so. Previously people were like "What? A NIGHTBLADE tank? Dude you serious?". It's like many didn't even think it possible. Having only positive feedback on mine, especially that it's like completely self sufficient in most scenarios. Healers are used to healing and throwing shards etc., and I'm like "Stop, heal and give shards to DD's, I don't need them".
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dragonknight
    Raudgrani wrote: »
    Nightblades, seeing very few still - but at least I've seen a few the past couple of months or so. Previously people were like "What? A NIGHTBLADE tank? Dude you serious?". It's like many didn't even think it possible. Having only positive feedback on mine, especially that it's like completely self sufficient in most scenarios. Healers are used to healing and throwing shards etc., and I'm like "Stop, heal and give shards to DD's, I don't need them".

Yep. Should have seen some of the reactions I got when I told them my Tankblade is also a Redguard.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    Raudgrani wrote: »

Oh, it can get even better on a templar tank. Not only can you go "nah, don't need this," you can throw shards right back at the healer. :D
  • orion_1981usub17_ESO
    orion_1981usub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer
    Necromancer tank is the only tank class where I truly feel that your all just following behind me. So many great passives, damage reduction and the ludicrous ability to set off your own synergy. Its literally mode tanking.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Necromancer
    Necro because it's easy mode tanking.

But my main is still my DK tank... through six years of DK and tank nerfs.
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simple poll. Six options, for six classes. Please do let us know why you enjoy this class as a tank and a rough description of how you play it. For example, the weapons archetypes you use, what your main resources are, etc.

This poll is about what you find fun. If that happens to be the meta then of course, that's great and valid. But if you enjoy a different tanking setup more, than please vote that, even if it's not considered optimal.

To begin, I have voted Dragonknight as for one, I do love dragons. I am also very fond of Nords who do have a lot of history with the Ancient Dovah, and indeed, given the recent Akaviri invasion, well, Akaviri martial training becoming popular in Eastern Tamriel? Makes sense to me! Not to mention that Dragonknight also make fine warriors on the frontlines of Cyrodiil as well as fierce opponents in the Battlegrounds of Tamriel.

Haha much appreciated.
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bearbelly wrote: »

Warden is great, and I am intending on making an Argonian Warden at some point for tanking.

Just made one myself. I’m excited for the journey.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    Templars don't make good tanks for trials, because their heals are laughable with the buff sets that tanks are expected to wear, but if you spec for magicka, I think they make the best and most fun tanks for 4-man PUGs. You can have a tank build that is good enough to tank all DLC hms, and still do 15k DPS single target (30k+ on trash pulls) and have enough healing output to compensate for a bad/dead healer, assuming the DDs aren't taking a swim in lava or something.
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Templar
    Templars always were and always will be my favourite tanks :) But I do love my nightblade, sorc, and necro tanks too. Have a warden coming soon.
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna