Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What’s your favorite class to tank with?

UGotBenched91
UGotBenched91
✭✭✭✭✭
What’s your favorite class to tank with? Why?

I just started my first tank. Trying out a warden.
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DK because AFK tanking is good
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
    For the Daggerfall Covenant
    The Last Chillrend Empress
    Animation Cancelling
  • MyKillv2.0
    MyKillv2.0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mag sorc :D:D:D
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DK always feel epic, because DK tanks are low HP, low recovery, no tanky in-built buffs like other classes have, but somehow through indirect means (battle roar, helping hands, green dragon blood) DK can handle everything and it just feels natural :)
    Also stomping when you summon fragmented shield looks and sounds cool.
  • xXMeowMeowXx
    xXMeowMeowXx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) DK for all my serious stuff
    2) Necro
    3) Warden

:) It is good to mix it up and have fun....

You can use most classes
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragon Knight. The kit is really great for the job.
    I have dabbled with all of the classes, and I always go back to my DK.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casterial wrote: »
    DK because AFK tanking is good

And what's AFK about DK tanking? in DK tanking all depends on timings (when to use Balance, when to use GDB, when to use Fragmented shield), you can't just stack ton of self-buffs like warden or NB and then run to the forums to cry about lack of burst heal. Yeah, DK has arguably best burst-heal, but you must use it in precise moments otherwise it will just renew your healing received buff and nothing else. DK has less health then all other classes with exception of templar. DK doesn't have sources of minor/major protection/evasion. DK is fully group-oriented tank, and while it maybe easiest to effectively fulfill tank role, it is not most simple one to do so.

Let's take nightblade - 10% from grim focus (build up once and forget), access to major evasion in heavy armor when needed, minor protection. Overall this means that against aoe attacks NB has 38% more mitigation and also a bit more health, so let's round it up to 40. 40%! difference in damage received from aoe between DK and NB. Yes, NB doesn't have burst heal, but NB needs it not so often, and in those moments when NB needs it, healer can provide it.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My tank proper is a templar, so I know it best and thus like it best.
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My first tank was a Sorc Tank, and that can be pretty fun with the lightning theme. My favorite is Necro Tank because of their toolkit. I have a DK also for when a BIS tank is needed, but enjoy my Necro Tank more.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight because they're incredibly hard to kill!
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DK
  • soniku4ikblis
    soniku4ikblis
    ✭✭✭
    This is one of those weird MMORPGs where the DK tank has such strong crowd control ability, healing/regen, and debuffs.

ZOS opted to not go for the traditional tank role where a taunt or group taunt is used to control crowds and opted to give them a root.

It's cool that it is a different theme from many other MMOs and RPGs.

The only unfortunate part is that the class is really strong, much stronger than many of the other classes and invariably hard to kill. In addition, they have a strong offense.

Templar is nearly on par with DK, about the same, though, only as as tanky due to burst heals and less able to control crowds.

The rest of the classes are pretty much strong DPS, with Necro and Warden at the top of the food chain. lol
    __._-*._._._.-*'"{Sonic Euphoric Bliss}"'*-._._._.*-_.__
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dragon Knight, I have tried the others for tanking but DK just has the best toolkit available.
  • Nevasca
    Nevasca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NB. It's pretty chill most of the time, places where tanks have to kite/dodge roll sometimes you can tank through (like a fuckign tank should).
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorc here~
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used to be...
    ...NB saptank... please bring them back.... :cry:
  • AltmerElite
    AltmerElite
    ✭✭✭
    Nightblade Tank is my favorite
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    /threads that should be polls
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I tried DK tanking I felt it was too boring. Not sure why. Didn't feel that way about Templars.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used to be...
    ...NB saptank... please bring them back.... :cry:

I remember how excited I was to be a sap tank, oh I miss those days.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »

Wow, if the fact I didn’t make this a poll is the worst part of your day then you’re having a good day. You want a poll. Make one.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, if the fact I didn’t make this a poll is the worst part of your day then you’re having a good day. You want a poll. Make one.

I apologize if it made you feel offended, I had no such intention, just mentioned that the thread would have been a good poll.
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I apologize if it made you feel offended, I had no such intention, just mentioned that the thread would have been a good poll.

Ha no worries that’s the problem with forums things come off different ways. Yeah I’m hind sight I probably could’ve made a poll.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer -- Beckoning Armor is quickly becoming one my favorite skills in the game.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've only done tanking with DK, NB, and necro, and NB is by far my favorite. It just feels right. Having resolve, 8% mitigation, and a HOT all in one skill is so comforting. Playing around spectral arrow is fun. I love the ability swallow soul and it's relatively useful on tank. I love the fear ability for add management and the way that it summons that ghost/wraith. I like the NB class as a whole the most compared to the other five too tbf.

I like necro more when it comes to group support, but in general NB is my favorite and most comfortable. I never understood the hype around DK. I think I'm doing it wrong. DK doesn't feel good to tank with, and I hate GDB, obsidian shield, and chain visually and thematically. Chain especially because it is so bizarre design-wise. Wish the other classes had access to a magicka based pull like it though. Should've put one under mages guild or something as a telekinesis spell or something.
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DK is my best but I love my templar tank the most <3
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warden
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Short answer, magsorc :)

Longer answer, like most things in the game, it depends what content you're doing and who with.

Vet content, esp with guildies, DK, hands down. Great toolkit with some nice passives.

RNDs or quickie normal pledges with pugs, my magsorc with Grothdar, Elfbane and Baharahas jewels /weps popping shooting star on big packs and storm atro on bosses.

I'm not sure I'd take the DK into RNDs now - the big problem there is group DPS, and he can't fix that. Get a low level group it can be like watching paint dry.

Equally I don't like taking take my magsorc into vets as a tank. It's doable but it doesn't leave much margin for error. he puts on light armor pulls out pets and does those as DPS.

As someone's you going to say it, sure, you don't really need a tank in normal and, yes, it would be quicker to just go DPS and solo them. But I quite like tanking - if the group actually wants to let me tank rather than run around like headless chickens - you don't get the nice RND of the day bonus solo, and I figure if you queue as a tank you should turn up wearing heavy armour, rocking a sword and board and, you, know, actually tank.

• RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got 3 tanks, NB, Sorc and Warden. Fav is NB, Sorc a close second. I sleep when I play with the Warden and I can't for the life of me, try to play as a DK.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!